Which usb to serial adaptor should i buy

elniro

Inactive User
Reaction score
My dreambox had an issue with not being able to find a tuner (following a restart after bt repaired an exchange fault), so i tried to reflash and it then got the 'no CA found' error. I have read that I need to use dreamup or that yassinov repair tool to fix this, but that requires a null modem cable, I do not have the relevant port on my PC so i need a usb-to-serial adaptor, but apparently driver issues means I cant just get any adaptor and expect it to work, so can anyone recommend a null modem cable and usb-to-serial adaptor that will definitely work with a Win7 PC?

Thanks!

Tbh you would be better off buying a serial pci card for your pc along with the null modem cable,then its guaranteed to work m8

Tbh you would be better off buying a serial pci card for your pc along with the null modem cable,then its guaranteed to work m8

thats an idea, I will check if i have another pci slot (as one is used by graphics card), but I dont think I have enough space in case to fit another card.

As above a pci card is better.

However, I bought item 260978436548 on the bay and Win 7 x64 picks it up okay, it uses a prolific chipset. I can't confirm whether it works with a DM800. It is communicating with a TM TWIN using as well as with a DM500C clone using Dreamup. You will still need a null modem cable.

thanks guys, i ordered the null modem cable and that usb to serial cable. Hopefully it will work!

Just to let you guys know I got my box working, used the usb to serial, installed drivers first then plugged in the cable, connected to box and detected fine (well first time it blue screened my PC but afterwards was fine).

Thanks for your help!

Just to let you guys know I got my box working, used the usb to serial, installed drivers first then plugged in the cable, connected to box and detected fine (well first time it blue screened my PC but afterwards was fine).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers for the update mate :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Nearly all USB to Serial convertors use the Prolific chipset and drivers. But a lot of the cheapo convertors are poorly put together and you will flaky transfer rate and dropouts on bad quality convertors.
One of the best ones is one made by a company called ATEN but it's also expensive around £10 on Amazon. I've used a fair few different USB-Serial..and generally even the cheapo ones will work fine with low baud rates..so if it's only a data console you require it;s fine. I use these for work to connect to Cisco routers and other network equipment if you ever have to transfer files across...the cheaper adaptors refuse to work at higher transfer rates,.hence it takes ages to transfer files. The ATEN is the only one i've used which works well with higher transfer rates.

the best way to go is null modem the usb not guaranteed to work m8

Nearly all USB to Serial convertors use the Prolific chipset and drivers. But a lot of the cheapo convertors are poorly put together and you will flaky transfer rate and dropouts on bad quality convertors.
One of the best ones is one made by a company called ATEN but it's also expensive around £10 on Amazon. I've used a fair few different USB-Serial..and generally even the cheapo ones will work fine with low baud rates..so if it's only a data console you require it;s fine. I use these for work to connect to Cisco routers and other network equipment if you ever have to transfer files across...the cheaper adaptors refuse to work at higher transfer rates,.hence it takes ages to transfer files. The ATEN is the only one i've used which works well with higher transfer rates.

Hi
I'm having a problem with dm800se clone
R01 No Ca Found
I have serial to usb converter but not sure which serial cable to get. My dm800 has not got a serial db9 port it has modem rj11 but that is it?
What do I need?

Back