Guides and Info Which Laptop??

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My Daughter is going to university shortly and she requires a new laptop. Can any of you guys recommend a good one? what spec should I look for taking into account it is a 3 year course. Is 4 mb and 1 TB too much? or could I get away with a smaller spec?. Please advise thanks.

Hi miggy, what's the price range and also what course will she being doing e.g surveying where cad software may be required or a digital media course where softwares like Adobe Photoshop will be used.

@miggy

firstly does she want a 15.6" or something like a 11.1" etc

Last edited by a moderator:
will she be taking it into uni in which case weight and size are going to be important. Any particular software she needs ?

Hi miggy, what's the price range and also what course will she being doing e.g surveying where cad software may be required or a digital media course where softwares like Adobe Photoshop will be used.
Roughly about 250.00/300.00 tops mate.As long as it has word on it she will be happy with that.
will she be taking it into uni in which case weight and size are going to be important. Any particular software she needs ?
It is for home @oneman they have computers in uni and they can put stuff on memory sticks to bring home and put on your own computer.
@miggy

firstly does she want a 15.6" or something like a 11.1" etc
15.6 would be ideal Napster. Do you think 11.1 would be to small?.

15.6 would be ideal Napster. Do you think 11.1 would be to small?.

If she is not carting it about and using it a lot then maybe look at 17" models. You get a full size keyboard and larger screen of course. Downside is size, weight and battery life.

If she is not gaming then don't worry about a dedicated graphics card, built in graphics will be fine. Personally would aim for i3 with 4GB of RAM and 500GB hard disk. That should last 3 to 4 years.

Would consider an SSD hard drive but that be done later.

If she is not carting it about and using it a lot then maybe look at 17" models. You get a full size keyboard and larger screen of course. Downside is size, weight and battery life.

If she is not gaming then don't worry about a dedicated graphics card, built in graphics will be fine. Personally would aim for i3 with 4GB of RAM and 500GB hard disk. That should last 3 to 4 years.

Would consider an SSD hard drive but that be done later.

Just been looking at an Acer with that spec oneman and it comes with cloud storage of 2TB is this a good option. This stuff on the black friday site is rubbish the site keeps crashing. :(

Just been looking at an Acer with that spec oneman and it comes with cloud storage of 2TB is this a good option. This stuff on the black friday site is rubbish the site keeps crashing. :(

which site ?

@miggy - you considered an HP Stream 11? In my experience most students don't push the hardware that much. Bang on a free copy of Libre Office which is file-compatible with MS Office and you're done for around £180.

Google "HP Stream 11 review"

@miggy - you considered an HP Stream 11? In my experience most students don't push the hardware that much. Bang on a free copy of Libre Office which is file-compatible with MS Office and you're done for around £180.

Google "HP Stream 11 review"
Why have they made Microsoft office a subscription package H?. :(

MS Office 365 has been subscription for a while M8. You can still buy non-subscription Office but Office 365 gives a rental option.

I decided to go for an Acer guys. Thanks for all your advice it was definitely very useful information. :)

Back