What tvcard?

doom11

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi ,could someone please advise on the best type of TV card on the market if i wand to record things from it ,,what spec should i look for?,there seem to be loads of different types!,dont want to buy the wrong type.Thanks in advance for any advice:)

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there

I've owned several Analogue TV cards ie Generic Brooktree 484/478 cards and also currently use a Tevion Xpert SAA7134 (Philips chipset) card from Aldi (less than £25 with remote).

I also have a digital ariel installed and have never really gotten a good clean picture, maybe the new DVB-T (Freeview cards) are better. Most of the software for the TV cards was awful and I ended up using DScaler (freeware at Sourceforge) which is a brilliant app and works brilliantly, clean picture but your restricted to recording only 2GB at a time :(

I've used ChrisTV, BorgTV............the list could go on LOL......but Dscaler was the best.

Anyway this year I bought a PC Sat card (Skystar2) and once I got it working with my satellite dish, I haven't looked back. This is great if you have a movable dish as you can view encrypted channels with software emulators.

If you have a Sky dish your restricted to Astra 2 (Sky's platform) and there's a few channels available 'Free-to-air' but you'd more than likely be better off with a Freeview card instead.

Try to find one that allows you to MPHeg 5 (?) which is the 'Interactive' part of Freeview, if your in the market.

chrome

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been fitting this to systems I'm building for peep's at the mo.

Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-t PCI Freeview Receiver for 38 Plus Channels in DVD Quality DVB Radio / Remote control / And Doubles as a PC Video Recorder

Gets all the free view, Quite good for proce :)

TEST