What router

Check these ebay items : 120066224214 and 290060571992. I have the BT Voyager, works as a treat. Both work on cable

Also take a look at the Netgear WGT634U, apart from wireless cable router, it also has a USB port into which you can hook up a Hard Drive which the router sets up as shared network storage.
This allows any PC/Laptop that is on your home lan to use the router HDD.
Ideal for a place to keep your movies and music and all devices can share the files.

Yeh, I would recommend this one., Used it myself until recently. Just moved up to the WNBR854T Rangemax (300mbps) .
It was handy as you could plug in your USB flash drive to share out to all pc's or as you say plug in a resident usb drive.

spoilt for choice lol,defintly recommend the netgear one tho ive had 3 rougters now and thats the best one so far,first one was a linksys that wasnt two bad but seemed to have to reboot it every now and again,2nd was a belkin as the linksys one wasnt two bad either but i used to loose a lot of siginal in my back bedroom and it was abit hit and missy in corners aswell,and best of all with the netgear one it comes with a usb wireless adapter aswell so saves you having to buy one on top if you need one.

hey all, just been reading thru this thread and now im lost lol

im looking to get wireless myself, as i have just bought a laptop, and want to be able to use this, along with the 2 other pcs in my house on the internet all at the same time.
at the moment ive got my nthell cable modem usb'd into my upstairs pc (main pc in the house) and then i networked the downstairs pc to my pc thru ethernet cables. and then i wanted to add my xbox onto that list so that i can go online with it, so i bought a ethernet card, got another cable and networked that too. but i found that i had to disable the ethernet connection that goes downstairs so that i can use my xbox online, and vice versa. all the while my main pc had to be on.

so last week i got a laptop, and networked that as well, but i just used the xbox connection lead and settings because it was all automatic, but i still have to disable the downstairs internet connnection to enable me to get the ethernet connection to my laptop. so thats alot of messing about, so can anyone recommend a router, 2 wiress adaptors (one for the main pc, and one for the one downstairs) and a wireless card for my laptop? hopefully not too expensive as im skint after christmas.

or, if anyone can suggest a solution to my internet problems without me having to buy a router, that wud be good also, coz it means i can save up for a wireless one for a bit longer ;)

My sis is after a wireless router but she has nthell cable, anyone recommend a router thats works with cable ?

hello dutcho, there was a thread on here back in november where telewest was giving away free wireless netgear routers but they stopped them because there was an incopatibilitie issue with i.e7 and i rang them to be told they would resume the free routers in mid to backend of january when the issues were completed. i know your with ntl but both companies have now merged may be worth you while ringing and asking about the free router offer. at the end of the day you got nothing to lose and plenty to gain and if all goes well its freeeee, i like that word free lol. jon

Back