Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What router

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
My sis is after a wireless router but she has nthell cable, anyone recommend a router thats works with cable ?

Any DSL router should work m8.

Linksys and Netgear are the best in my optinion but they will be more expensive.

PCWorld are doing a [DLMURL="http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034"]Linksys with a usb adapter[/DLMURL] for ?39.99.

Also a Netgear one here for ?59.99.

That's PCWorld though, probably get it cheaper in other online stores.

Have a look in the vouchers/codes section too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I;ve got the netgear myself just i got it into my mind that it might not work with a cable line, just wanted to make sure ;)

Thanks.

As long as it says CABLE or DSL it will work on cable.

ADSL is for broadband over your telephone, i.e. BT Broadband, Tiscali, Bulldog, etc.

dsl/cable netgear, check ;) now find me a cheap one :)

Yeah be careful which one you buy mate (like Reddevil says). You DO NOT want a DSL router. 99% of routers that say DSL on the box have A/S DSL modems built into them for use with an A/S DSL phone line. The other 1% that state they are DSL and DO work with cable connections are usually cheap chinese makes where they really mean 'broadband' not DSL.

If you arent sure when reading about different routers, just make sure it has a standard ethernet port for the WAN connection.

yes, that should do the jobbie for you, at it is a cable router and all that;)

Just reading the reviews :) lol mixed bunch. I just don't wanna buy it for my sister if it's gonna be a head ache coz you know who's head ache it will be ;)

You could try a Buffalo router, came top in a recent magazine survey (PC Pro Awards 2006) and on special at Dabs just now £28.75

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3W14

Dabs Customer Review

Bought this router as I had just signed up with NTL cable broadband and I couldn't find any other decent router for this price. Big advantage of this router is that you can flash it with DD-WRT and get lots of advanced functions eg QOS. Be warned that this flashing process is a lot harder than expected and involved tftp and a very small time frame in which to do it in. All in all, an excellent router for the price even if just for the basic features.

Also take a look at the Netgear WGT634U, apart from wireless cable router, it also has a USB port into which you can hook up a Hard Drive which the router sets up as shared network storage.
This allows any PC/Laptop that is on your home lan to use the router HDD.
Ideal for a place to keep your movies and music and all devices can share the files.

My sister isnt into all that, lol. Just need her a router that I can plug into her cable line without any fuss as it's me that's gonna have to plug the fooooker in. Wireless connection for the pc the kids are going to be using ;)

I use a Dlink DI 624+ router and use a Dlink DWL-G650 PCMCIA card in my laptop. Never had a problem with it, and the working range is great.

Back