What Graphics Card????

Erazor786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Looking for a new graphics card and have round about £110 to spend.

If anyone remembers the thread where I built my new system a few months back and bought the HD 4850. That knackered as it would randomly cut-off display to my PC. Sometimes at booting and sometimes after an hour of using the comp with no probs.

Anyway, after a lot of arguing and trying to explain to Ebuyer in no uncertain term that I was entitled to a refund as the product became faulty within 6 months etc. My RMA has been accepted so I am in the market for another graphics card as the one I bought is no longer sold by Ebuyer.

Now since I did my research in the Graphics Card market when I decided on the 4850, things have changed quite dramtically. ATi is releasing cards for the sake of doing it.

What are peoples opinions on which is the best card for the budget outlined and any thoughts on which ones to look at would be much appreciated. If it is from Ebuyer that would be better as the RMA is with them but I'm sure I should get a full refund if I can't find anything on there website. I'll be ringing them 2mrw anyway so will update on that.

Thanks for having a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats the card ive just ordered a few days ago, should be with me on friday, ive read some good things on it and if you google overclocking it (even if your not going to) you see a lot of reviews/benchmarking of them against other cards on the market. standard and overclocked.

add to that the danger den water box i got off ebay cheap im looking forward to them arriving.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is that the best in my price range available at the moment.

Going to have a look at some reviews of it in a bit.

i would say it was, i'v got a 1gb 4870 myself, it'll play anything maxed out @1680x1050 and higher
awesome card.

Thanks mate. Read some reviews on the card it seems good performance for the price.

I'll give Ebuyer a ring tomorrow. It says on the email I can change the order by logging in on-line but it won't let me. Have to waste money ringing the incompetent fools.

Thanks for all the replies. Went for the PowerColor 4870 as it looks like it has the better cooling on it. It should arrive tomorrow.

ive the xfx version, came in the post today, not had chance to play with it yet but its installed and looking good,

Let me know what kind of temperatures you get under load and at idle.

Interesting to see if the claims of better cooling on the PowerColor are correct.

Have you got the 750 or the 775M? Also there seems to be a common problem of getting a flickering display with the XFX.

i fitted mine with this Akasa AK-VC03-BLUV Vortexx NEO VGA Cooler [AK-VC03-BLUV] Cooling Graphics Coolers
it took the temp down by over 10 degrees
you'll need a spare molex though.
it's great for the price, and it looks good if you've got a windowed case.
and it's silent :)

EDIT: Can get it cheaper here with free delivery [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BZ69IK/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=14K5K25KNT7CTRG61XB3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294[/ame]

Last edited:
i fitted mine with this Akasa AK-VC03-BLUV Vortexx NEO VGA Cooler [AK-VC03-BLUV] Cooling Graphics Coolers
it took the temp down by over 10 degrees
you'll need a spare molex though.
it's great for the price, and it looks good if you've got a windowed case.
and it's silent :)

EDIT: Can get it cheaper here with free delivery Akasa Vortexx Neo AK-VC03-BLUV VGA cooler: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I'll look at that mate. Looks like a nice piece of kit. Though I'm not too worried about overheating, I won't be gaming much and there won't be much load on the card (just nice to have a good card if you do decide to game :)). Saying that, I have read that these cards idle at well over 60 degrees and in some cases even higher.

Ill have to see what temps I get when the card arrives 2mrw hopefully.

Little digression here, why have Ebuyer moved there orders/Customer Service dept. over to the US. Every time I have rang them with a query I've got some American on the other end who sounds like she's thick (no offence to any Americans ;))

my card idles @ 38-42 with the vortexx neo fitted
suppose it depends on your pc case though.

Those are pretty good temperatures for the 4870. The 4850 I had idled at a bout 55c+ and on load reached above 70c.

I've tried maximising airflow in my case using cable ties and routing cables as neatly as is possible but I'm considering investing in new bigger case with dust filters.

Parcel hasn't arrive yet and doubt it will. Stupid Yank told me that the parcel will be with me today. :mad:

Edit: Just checked my mail and got an email saying it was dispatched, then another straight after saying that the order had been delayed and would be with me on Monday. They've given me a free shipping token as a gesture of goodwill. Barstewards!!

Last edited:
Back