What fruit and veg will you be growing this season?

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Green fingered hackers, what will be growing in your garden this year?

I'm planning on

Strawberries
Raspberries
Corn
Chilli's
Red Radish
Aubergines
Asparagus
Leeks
Broccoli
Peas

I'm preying on an extra hot summer to beat 2005, my corn grew over 10' then.

I grew corn around that time too and it was belter.

I usually grow nothing now, I did upto a few years ago then just stopped.

I used to grow lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, onions (especially scallions), corn (just the once) and green beans.

i tried growing tomatos last year.
the plants grew about 5ft tall and i got about four pea sized tomatos in total, and that aint a joke.

they did taste good though lol

This year.

Corn
Tomatoes
Potatoes (Early and Late)
Parsnips
Lettuce
Sprouts
Onions
Carrots
Parsnips.

The main reasons for doing it, is because they taste better and to show the daughter that vegetables do not come out of Asda.

There are a number of asian greengrocers near where I live and food they stock is pretty fresh so wife gets them from there.

I get fed up just mowing the lawn, so not sure Im into back breaking work, having to keep clearing out weeds.

Long time back, my folks used to do potatoes and cabbages but thats all I remember.

Green fingered hackers, what will be growing in your garden this year?

I'm planning on

Strawberries
Raspberries
Corn
Chilli's
Red Radish
Aubergines
Asparagus
Leeks
Broccoli
Peas

I'm preying on an extra hot summer to beat 2005, my corn grew over 10' then.

is this your attempt at trying to save money due to the school fees u gotta pay now ? ;)

This year.

Corn
Tomatoes
Parsnips
Lettuce
Sprouts
Onions
Carrots
Parsnips.

The main reasons for doing it, is because they taste better and to show the daughter that vegetables do not come out of Asda.

Got to ask
are you growing parsnips twice?

Got too agree they do taste better but dont last as long
Thats cos of genetic mod
And ill be growing
Thyme
Mint
Chives
and a few other herbs like hemp in my widow box
Due to living on the 3rd floor of a block of flats
Only prob i need to get a window box 1st

If your gonna talk about herbs then talk about it properly. Anybody remember this or am I showing my age lol

We must be both getting old m8, as I remember the herbs well lol.

I tend to stick with flowers in borders and hanging baskets. The baskets even have an auto irrigation system.
I might get some strawberries going this year in some pots.
My dad's a keen gardener and has a big greenhouse and veg plot.
I get loads of tomatoes and runner beans from him later in the year.

Curly

Whatever you do, don't grow runner beans. They just grow and grow and grow until you get sick to death of them.

My dad has an allotment and he grows the usual things people have mentioned... he grew some chillies last year wich turned up alright and we ended up pickling them. Garlic, cucumbers, iceberg, strawberrys... I got him to grow some BokChoy last year but didn't turn out well.

You should get a seed catalogue, should give you some ideas and get you to grow the odd unusual thing along side the main staples as little experiments, see what happens.

After you've hacked TV, 360, Wii, your mobile phone, broadband, set your HT up, what is left to do aside from a little gardening to get you in the outdoors? For me it's quality time away from her indoors plus my plants don't talk back to me which is an added bonus. When no one is looking I usually test out some Hollywood lyrics on the tomatoes ('Did you order the code red?!')

Glad to see that members are also growing food. My logic in deciding what to plant is usually swayed by the high street prices of some foods. A handful of raspberries costs around £2, with strawberries and asparagus being just as expensive. This year food will only get much more expensive as we have to import most of what we eat.

I recently bought a load of seeds from my local shop for next to nothing. Lol I never even knew I could get a seed catalogue, time for some serious searching and dreaming of growing mango's in my garden.

Gents it is easy to get started. My garden is crappy clay soil so I had to remove the first foot or so, then I mixed in organic peat from the dump yard along with some el cheapo compost from the gardening shop. I planted the seeds as per the instructions and then watered them everyday over summer. I couldn't believe the harvest, it was so good I felt I had to make a sacrifice to the gods. I didn't use any fancy equipment or chemicals/fertilizers etc, just watered them once a day and gave them plenty of love.

It's all very easy to do just as long as the sun shines.

This year.

Corn
Tomatoes
Parsnips
Lettuce
Sprouts
Onions
Carrots
Parsnips.

Finally we have a face behind the man.

Worzel-Gummidge-460_802674c.jpg

Whatever you do, don't grow runner beans. They just grow and grow and grow until you get sick to death of them.

My dad has an allotment and he grows the usual things people have mentioned... he grew some chillies last year wich turned up alright and we ended up pickling them. Garlic, cucumbers, iceberg, strawberrys... I got him to grow some BokChoy last year but didn't turn out well.

You should get a seed catalogue, should give you some ideas and get you to grow the odd unusual thing along side the main staples as little experiments, see what happens.

LOL I know where you are coming from, every summer my dad inundates us with pumpkin, pumpkin for lunch, for tea, for dinner - yuk and he loves the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started the garden last year and has some fruit, potatoes and carrots, not much of a crop but it was good.

This year I plan Strawberrys, Blackberrys, tayberrys (the kids love fruit), carrots, iceberg, potatoes and I was going to try some corn for the BBQ.

i tried growing tomatos last year.
the plants grew about 5ft tall and i got about four pea sized tomatos in total, and that aint a joke.

they did taste good though lol

Take all the side shoots out [laterals] and look at having 5 trusses on each plant, water well, go for gardeners delight,

Im glad someone has started a thread on this i know my name is mr parsnip but this isnt where i thought of my name from lol.

i do alot of allotment stuff i have my own at the back of my gargen i have done spuds,toms,carrots,onions,beetroot,lettuce,strawberrys but in hanging baskets there much nicer and keeps the pets of them as there high up:eater:

top thread will post piccys tmoz

Our guru Mr Parsnip has joined us

:WORSHIP:

Think I'll dig up some pics of last years fruit and veg as well lol

Ate my first tomato of this year's crop today, it was lovely and sweet. I would have had two last week but the birds got to them before i did, so i have put netting over the tomato plants now.

As well as tomatoes, this year i have potatoes, rocket lettuce, strawberries and apples.

Last year i had potatoes, broccoli, peas, lettuce, carrots, onions, strawberries and apples. Nothing tastes quite the same as your own fruit and veg from your own garden :)

Back