What fruit and veg will you be growing this season?

Well for my first year had a good harvest so far. All grown outside i have had loads of aubs, Peppers, chillis, toms, lettuce and cabbage.

No mate been very lucky. Infact my neighbour has had his cabbage ruined by butterflies and caterpillars. He had netting and all. I didnt even know this cuold happen and I have been fine.

Lucky you. I have terrible problems with slugs and snails, they ate nearly all my lettuce last year, they're very hard to keep under control without using slug pellets. You can use salt but the problem with that is too much salt poisons the earth. I am thinking of getting some copper tape and putting it all around my vegetable plot.

Well we've had spuds this year as well as peas, beans (assorted kinds), cabbage, lettuce, something she calls "salad" but look to me just like small green leaves, beetroot, carrots (still looking for real purple carrots), lots of tomatoes, cauliflower (yuk), corn, leek and the cats have had cat grass.

We also have 2 apple trees bearing fruit, and a grape vine which should produce grapes next year. Oh and a fig tree.

The mrs planted pumpkin and squash and so far we can see 1 pumpkin, football sized, and 30 sqaush, they seem to have taken over.

We also have 3 chickens which give us 21 large eggs per week for £1 of keep.

I used to fancy the pants off Falicity Kendal, I was a wee 20 year old nipper though back in 1975. :)

I wanted a pig or goat too, but her indoors said it was too much.

Pigs are supposed to be very intelligent and make great pets, i guess that defeats the purpose of having one though if it's going to be a pet!

How did you get on with the fig tree buddy?

What type is it? I am looking for one i can grow in a planter and train up a trelis but dont think that type exists unless you know different.

Lucky you. I have terrible problems with slugs and snails, they ate nearly all my lettuce last year, they're very hard to keep under control without using slug pellets. You can use salt but the problem with that is too much salt poisons the earth. I am thinking of getting some copper tape and putting it all around my vegetable plot.

Mate just use slug pellets. You can get ones that dont harm cats and stuff now.

yeah i have them, they are supposed to be eco friendly, but i still dont like using them!

What i really want is a hedgehog :)

Lots of my tomatoes ripe now, ate my second one of the year today, they are lovely and sweet. Much nicer than ones from the supermarket :)

was it a big one:proud:eek:r a little one,homegrown always best.:Clap:

was it a big one:proud:eek:r a little one,homegrown always best.:Clap:

it was a medium sized one :)

there are quite a few big ones ripe now as well though, will give them to my mum tomorrow. i have a list of people waiting for some! lol

When i went out the other day two of my tomatoes had little whitish spots on them, i was concerned that it was some kind of disease but have now come to the conclusion that it was dirt washed off the wall or shed roof in the torrential rain the other night.

All the other ones look fine and are coming along nicely :)

grew the big beef one,s still await the red colour change!!!

if your tomatoes don't ripen on the plants, you can pick them and put them in a brown paper bag with a ripe banana or a ripe tomato and they will go red :)

i would also recommend putting netting over the plants before the tomatoes ripen if they are outdoors, before the birds get at them.

I have spent the afternoon digging out my vegetable plot, (I chucked all the potatoes) has anyone any suggestions for what to plant at this time of year? Not cabbage! lol

i had two potato plants growing in a pot at the other side of the garden, and they looked fine, so i just lifted them now, the potatoes look lovely, am having them for dinner today! :)

If your gonna talk about herbs then talk about it properly. Anybody remember this or am I showing my age lol

Classic watch with mother couldn't beat it.

Well it looks like we are all going to be on a vegetable soup diet next year, so will save on the gym membership.
The carrot juice will replace the alcohol, so there is another saving.
So you will save money all round and DW will be the healthiest forum on the internet, mind you the threads and chat room would be boring places then.
So just grow them to accompany the rest of the unhealthy foods we all fry and roast and sod the dieting.

Back