What do you do ??

chadda

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Of a night do you turn your VU and television off from the mains !!!!!
Or leave on standby ?? Reason I ask I have heard turning off and on from the mains isn’t good for boxes or TVs ?? I generally turn off from the mains, any advise on this lads

standby for me for tv and vu mate, cant see what harm it does them switching them off at mains though!

I always standby (EPG updates at 4am and I'm not getting out of bed LOL)

I just use power management to standby around 2am so in the morning I see the date and time. But doesnt the DUO have 1w standby power anyway or is that in deep standby? Worth noting you can set power management to go into deep standby also. Dont see any benefit of turning of at mains.

I just use power management to standby around 2am so in the morning I see the date and time. But doesnt the DUO have 1w standby power anyway or is that in deep standby? Worth noting you can set power management to go into deep standby also. Dont see any benefit of turning of at mains.

I have a convoluted mechanism made up of several pulley's, levers, a few dominos, a car tyre, some nitro fuel and six marbles; it activates at 2:13am whereby following several well timed actions the end result is a plastic finger pressing the switch off at the wall.

Four hours later (as it's linked to a kinetic watch which swings back and forth to keep wound up) at 6:47am the reverse happens the finger also drops 1cm to turn it on again and the box boots into standby, thus 10 minutes later proceeding to do it's EPG update.

At 7:01am the coffee machine switches on, but thats another mechanism that is a lot more tedious.

standby basically just turns off the video output of the receiver almost every thing else is still running, hence why you can still FTP / TELNET and access the web interface of a receiver in standby. deep standby on the otherhand pretty much shuts every thing down to the point of flipping a off switch.

oh yeah as to the reason of the thread my tv and main day to day box are put into standby. all the other receivers ( test boxes ) go into deep standby unless i'm testing something that requires otherwise.

Last edited:
I leave it in standby then have a cron job to reboot the receiver, then do a CrossEPG and standby again after

I turn everything off at the mains I am a tight a~~e and even 1 kw times 8x265 works out quite expensive when on a low fixed income

edogg

standby for me also.... all modern electronic items are designed to be left on standby but ive always got some other stb on testing so my vu duo tends to be off at the switch at the back unless i actually want to watch something, regards mdt

Back