Water Changes [Tropical Tank]

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done a water change today (30%) first time with fish in, also cleaned the gravel with a gravel cleaner
Im happy with the adding of the chemicals (prime/stability) but what concerns me is the water temperature

it was a constant 26°C, but after adding the 30% new water it went down to 24°C, might not sound a lot but definitely feels colder and must of been a shock to the fishes as it went in ?

how do you do your water changes ?

dont seem to bother my tropical fish,i add lukewarm water back to the tank from tap with bucket using no declorinator,have done for over a year an no problemos

Use a thermometer to get your new water to tank temperature using a mix of hot and cold tap water. Then add your chemicals.

i just use a bowl with lukewarm water in and stress ease...just guess on the temp , u will soon nail it after a few changes .. try not to change often at first , i do 50 percent change every month

Yeah I thought about adding warm water but wasn't sure

Also thought about adding water to a canister a day before so it reaches room temp :)

Thanks guys :)

Ive done a water change today (30%) first time with fish in, also cleaned the gravel with a gravel cleaner
Im happy with the adding of the chemicals (prime/stability) but what concerns me is the water temperature

it was a constant 26°C, but after adding the 30% new water it went down to 24°C, might not sound a lot but definitely feels colder and must of been a shock to the fishes as it went in ?

how do you do your water changes ?

humm. no rules here. but i always do cold water changes. and my fish seem to revel in it.

one thing you can say is, neither option will cause any harm to your fish.
providing the whole tank does not drop below 5 degrees of its norm.

sounds a lot, i know. but fish are far less sensitive to this sort of thing, than most think.
lets be honest, in nature they would suffer much bigger swings.

I do cold water changes :)

Don't take long for your heater to get it back to temp :)

Fish also probably swim in and out of cold spots in the wild mate, I know the temp is around 26 but there must be areas that are different!

For those using warm water that must be nice lol... would you drink the water from your bath hot tap lol ;)

Mick

Back