Car overheating, help :(

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all

I own a Mazda mx5 1.6i 2005 mk2.5 with only 28200 miles. I have lack in knowledge for cars :( so i am hoping somebody can help. In the last week i have been having trouble with overheating. It started when i joined on to the motorway, the needle slowly went up to H. I stuck my heaters on full blast on hot, whilst sweating from heat the needle dropped back to normal.

I went straight to my local garage, my fluid had disappeared and the radiator liquid wasn't at the top level. I was told it was a thermostat that needed replacing so after labor and parts including coolant i paid 30 pound which I am not sure if that's a good price. The car was left running and it seemed okay. So i decided to join the motorway again.

About 5 minutes after joining the motorway the needle started to get closer to the H again :(, I decided to turn around and go back. When i got to the garage and opened the bonnet the larger rubber pipe from the top of the radiator was boiling and rock hard, the radiator was cool in the middle but the far left and top part was boiling.

They drained the radiator and after refilling it (i don't understand this) they stuck there mouth over the cap and started blowing i think? Well after topping up coolant and water again. They said it could be the gasket which if it continues they will investigate on another day.

Again after almost getting home it increased in temperature again so i phoned up Friday and was told to come back in on Monday.

Today after me leaving it with them, went back and was told there is a bracket for a second fan and to go to the salvage yard and get one from a Mazda or a rover 600?? Well after looking online i don't really need a second fan as my car has no a/c and the pictures show it only has one fan anyway.

I decided to take the car to a few garages and was told they think its a water pump problem. There was no gunk under the oil cap or in the engine, there was no excess smoke etc.The fan works by sucking air in so its not a sensor. There is no leak from the radiator either.

Anyone ever had this problem? if so how did you fix it, could it be the radiator as it is second hand?

Thanks all

Last edited:
30 quid is very very cheap for a thermostat. With labour i would epect to pay about 60-100 quid.

I reckon they may be right about the thermostat - but it dosnt sound like they have replaced it.

I'd personally stop driving it and take it to another garage - or take out the thermostat and boilk check it.

Check your fluids failing that its gonna need looked at again. I'd take it to another garage! where you based?

sounds like your water pump impeller broken or rotten m8 .. needs removing and checking

30 notes for thermostat labour and antifreeze .. dont think so lol there again u pay for wot u get

l removed one on a renault last week ., the guy had spent 200 notes at 3 garages and they never found the fault and he got his arse in his hands when l wouldnt refit his old cambelt pump.JPG

Last edited:
Could be the thermostat,a blocked rad,air lock,collapsed/kinked rad pipe or rad cap.

You see lads this is what puts people off going to mechanics and trying to do it themselves,he has been to a few garages and no one has managed to fix it,
no offense intended smirnoff but its these type of cowboys that are killing ALL trades tbh,while the honest john trademan is left holding his knackers :(

You see lads this is what puts people off going to mechanics and trying to do it themselves,he has been to a few garages and no one has managed to fix it,
no offense intended smirnoff but its these type of cowboys that are killing ALL trades tbh,while the honest john trademan is left holding his knackers :(
true , never ripped anyone off in 30 years ,, looks like l should of lol

true , never ripped anyone off in 30 years ,, looks like l should off lol

No m8 at least you can hold your head high and look your family in the face knowing you've always tried to do the best by people :)

sounds like your water pump impeller broken or rotten m8 .. needs removing and checking

30 notes for thermostat labour and antifreeze .. dont think so lol there again u pay for wot u get

l removed one on a renault last week ., the guy had spent 200 notes at 3 garages and they never found the fault and he got his arse in his hands when l wouldnt refit his old cambelt View attachment 69751

it was 6.90 for the thermostat, 8.99 for antifreeze coolant, and they charged 20 for labour, i have used him for a few of my cars over the years, hes even on my facebook ha. I was told by a second garage the radiator should be one temperature and not be cold in the middle? or the water pump is the problem. The car was involved in an accident that dented the original radiator hence replacement but that makes me wonder if it is a faulty radiator

well you can rule that out
when the engine is warm feel all the hoses that connected to the rad
and see if they hot or cold,(they should be hot) becarefull you could burn yourself
by touching the engine or the rad,also dont have the engine runnin while doing this

like i said. even when overheating the middle of the radiator is cold apart from the far left and top and sides of the radiator are pretty hot

could have even been a duff new thermo. had a few in the past to fail and being new.. but does sound like the pump
to go with water pump..
easy way to find out i used to find take the thermow out and see if it stays cold
just read this back. does sound like some think is restricting the water flow

Last edited:
l havnt had the change a blocked rad for years , only if the head gaskets done and blocked it with oil , it's easy tho to take hoses off and run a jet washer though it and see if any shit comes out , but it's easy to check if the pumps moving water , u can watch the water with cap off or remove pipe from pump and see if it pushed water out when u turn the engine over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l havnt had the change a blocked rad for years , only if the head gaskets done and blocked it with oil , it's easy tho to take hoses off and run a jet washer though it and see if any shit comes out , but it's easy to check if the pumps moving water , u can watch the water with cap off or remove pipe from pump and see if it pushed water out when u turn the engine over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
most honest mechanic* reply av heard.. start at most basic but best idea av heard.and makes the most sence and cheapest way

Is it still losing coolant and at what rate? is there pressure in the resevoir after a short run? are the carpets inside the footwells damp? can you notice if the engine making any noticably unusual noise like grinding?

there might be an airlock in the system, try idling the car with the coolant cap off for 10 mins and heater on full to see if you can cure it. If you have to pour more coolant in then do it with a warm running engine and pour slowly.

My money is on the waterpump.

i always start with the worst thing firstlol while keeping an eye on temp gauge,when that is ruled out you can check the rest,did you have tomato soup in the rad ,24000 is very low for problems.every garage should have this.

How to Test Head Gasket - YouTube

Back