Washing Machines bearing

jasperconran

Inactive User
Reaction score
Any body here know if its hard to change the bearings on a Washing Machines, Ive a old Zanussi FLS1186W , thats throwing the belt on high spin.
Its been getting louder for weeks so i know its the bearing.
The machine i cant get the back off, so im thinking i drop the drum out the bottom. Anybody know the score with zanussi ?

Sorry can't answer the specific question you've asked but I do remember there being a similar thread to this before so I've dug out the link for you:

Washing Machine Problem

The post I've linked to (Post #25) provides a website with instructions on. Personally I wouldn't attempt to fix a washing machine myself because I'm a bit useless at things like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry can't answer the specific question you've asked but I do remember there being a similar thread to this before so I've dug out the link for you:

Washing Machine Problem

The post I've linked to (Post #25) provides a website with instructions on. Personally I wouldn't attempt to fix a washing machine myself because I'm a bit useless at things like that!

cheers if i can get it in bits i stand a chance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Getting it in bits is the easy bit lol
Putting it back together is a different story
First thing to check is the price of the berrings
Cos some machines make this repair pointless
(£30-60 for the berrings and 3hr work for a novice)
I think there are 2 sealled berrings both will need changing
Hope you have a blow torch
cos thats the only way i could get the old ones off

Hi
Getting it in bits is the easy bit lol
Putting it back together is a different story
First thing to check is the price of the berrings
Cos some machines make this repair pointless
(£30-60 for the berrings and 3hr work for a novice)
I think there are 2 sealled berrings both will need changing
Hope you have a blow torch
cos thats the only way i could get the old ones off
cheers pal

Yeah i do have blow torch mate. Ive got the bearings coming 30 quid (2 bearings and a bearing seal), and i know its going to take some time.

What i am wonding Is how to split the washer, or do i try and drop the drum out the bottom. theres not a back pannel to remove, But theres a join down both sides.

Do i just take the bolts out the top and split. to gain acess

Heres a tip, take some photos of each stage as remembering it all is impossible.
I think the one I did was the same model, took me 3/4 hour to get out and 1 1/2hrs to replace the bearing and put back.
Getting a little bit noisy after two years but still going strong so was worth it for me.
The bearing took a bit of hammering to get out.

Bearing kit for less than £10 here
I can't help with fitting though unless I could see it, then I could work it out.

i stripped one down once what a mare it was in many many bits the only way the drum would come out was the bottom and i had to remove most of the insides
a tip!! its an idea to remove and circuit board or controller bits prior to attempting full strip down save them from damage and water
i had a pile of bits and whist i was confident i could have rebuilt it i found the bearings where pressed in and @ i did not give the blowtorch a try so it went for scrap on reflection i had done the hard bit i suppose but i had the othe 1/2 nagging and so i punted
if your 1/2 handy you should manage it .. let me know what getting the bearings out was like ... good luck

Have got some pics left but not too great, will email them to you if you pm me with your email addy. it was the same model so obviously a weakness as our previous Zanussi lasted 18 years or so.
I cant remember much detail, in fact its a bit vague but did the job one Sat morning and just hammered the bearing out with a steel bar and new one back in using a large socket, I think.
order was something like
took top off undid connections inc electrics and hot and cold water
undid 3 small bolts on top either side and some on lower sides
took both sides off
took motor off, inc belt
supported drum and unbolted it and took it out
To be honest I'm guessing a bit here I cant really remember any details
Just make sure you know where everything came from/goes back

Kev

sounds like you made quite an easy job of it ... pictures please lol:Clap::Clap:

I never took any, Ive got the old smashed ones i could take a pic off. :D

Fear was the thing stoping me, But when i bit the bullet and do it, It wasnt that bad off job.. getting the old bearing shells of was the hard bit,
Heated them up and one fell off, ive done harder wheel bearings on a motor.

:banana:

Back