Want to go travelling

smithy69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Alright guys

It was my 20th birthday last week and its hit me today just how much I want to travel and see the world. I am currently studying at the moment however I finish at the end of September, I have saved up around £10k & want to get out there and see the world!

I finish my course in September, but I don't have a clue how to go about it. I have a fair few mates but there all tied up in apprenticeships and dont really have the £.

Has anyone ever been travelling if so what tips would you give me? Im just scared that I will get out there and have no friends and nowhere to stay etc.

I do have a good mate in Australia where I could probably start me on my way!

Cheers

The rough guides are pretty good for back packers. Have a think about were you want to go and head on down to the library.

if i was twenty/thirty..lol years younger mate i would be right there with you !!

traveled a lot mate and found the lonely planets books spot on.

dependint where you go will and your personality will determin if you wil get mate i mean, if your outgoing and chatty making friends will be easy.

if you start off in a traveler hotspot, thailand aussie etc you might meet ppl who wanna do the same as you and go a few places together.

thing is with traveling, the more you see the more you want to see, i mean i been to loads of places from far east, middle east aussie to all over europe the med and north america and carribean but i still places i wanna see, like vietnam, china, brazil, bolivia chillie, russia etc

i would do a bit of planning before you set off anywhere, if you have idea of countries u wanna visit check out visa requirements etc so you know thw score before you go and some dodgy offical not rip you off.

do it m8 you will love it, there are highs and lows but the experinces you get are second to none and when you old and sitting at home and you see a place on the telly you get a tingle down your back and you can say "I have been right there :D "

I think a lot of students head of down to sta travel, they have those flights that start around £1300 and you get about 10 flights around the world that can be taken at anytime as long as you go in say a clock wise route.

ive not long been back from Oz, amazing experience, I went with Ozintro, met some amazing people had a class week with them, and they sorted my visa bank medical card oz phone number, so had peace of mind before going. I know there is now a thai intro aswell, might be worth a look mate :)

one of mates did this when he was in his late 20's, did 6 months contract work, saved 16K - and that was 6 years ago. (great if u have no ties!)

he kept emailling me photos and keeping me updated, him a everest base camp, machu picchu, start line of the aussie GP, some hick outback town where he worked doing tech support in the middle of nowhere in auz, the ''Tattoine" real life set in Tunisia - the lot. He'd find work, save a bit, then move on. At one point, he lived above a dojo in thailand - he cleaned and washed up during then day then "trained to be a ninja" at night. creased me up!

He always said "don't get 1 of those around the world tickets with set dates" - means u can spend longer in some places. Also, he reckoned there was always places/travel agents around where u can get cheap tickets - aslong as u are careful.

He met a girl on his travels, from germany, he now lives in Geneva (expensive he says!) and is a web designer for a massive bank. (he's a spawny s0d getting good jobs!)

I'd love to do it, however too late for me now. Go for it, while you're still young and carefree with no ties

adamavfc I really envy you. I had the chance to go to Australia when I was 17 and I never done it. I always wonder what it would have been like. Living there and doing the whole oz lifestyle.

I have bought a house and done it up recently, I am hopefully going to pay it off in 5 years, I will be 54 then and I will be doing something like what you want to. Selling up and touring, when/if I come back I will worry then, about what I am going to do.

Only thing is I will be doing it when I am old not as young as you. Go for it bud. ;)

Cheers for the advice guys!!

I have decided im going to go for it! Im going to try and get my mate in Australia to hook me up for a few weeks and go from there! I need to try and sort of plan where I want to go tho lol

Back