Vista, how fast does yours boot ?

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been trying to time the bootup time of vista recently, obvioulsy different setups etc will have different boot times, but iam asking those of you who have a half decent system and dont have a whole load of junk booting up etc, please time yours to see how quick it boots up, when i say "boots up", i mean to the first point of seeing the windows desktop screen, not after any internet security is loaded etc as that can sometimes take a good few seconds more.

Just want a rough guide, doesnt need to be spot on, just look at the second hand on your watch as it starts, mines gets to the desktop screen in approx 55-60 seconds.

Be good to see how fast others are and if much faster how they get it to do it that fast.

cheers.

Ive been trying to time the bootup time of vista recently, obvioulsy different setups etc will have different boot times, but iam asking those of you who have a half decent system and dont have a whole load of junk booting up etc, please time yours to see how quick it boots up, when i say "boots up", i mean to the first point of seeing the windows desktop screen, not after any internet security is loaded etc as that can sometimes take a good few seconds more.

Just want a rough guide, doesnt need to be spot on, just look at the second hand on your watch as it starts, mines gets to the desktop screen in approx 55-60 seconds.

Be good to see how fast others are and if much faster how they get it to do it that fast.

cheers.

anyone ????

just got a vista, 3gb ram, dell inspirion and its quite fast tbh...takes around 30 seconds to fully load but i guess its not a decent system, its quite new!

woww, 30 secs is very very fast, so thats from you first see the boot screen text after you power on and up until the first sight of desktop screen ??? or is that from pressing the "on" button on the computer up until the first sight of desktop screen ?

Thats lightening fast, can you make a 30 sec video clip and show us mate so that we can see it with our own eyes ? also davidH too please.

Just wondering, are your hard-drives empty apart from windows etc, no other stuff slowing things down, just trying to get an idea of how someone can get to the desktop screen in half the time i can.

Grab this:

http://www.xp-smoker.com/vistasmokerpro.html

You'll see your boot times drop a lot then. I was running Vista off 2gb of ram and it didn't take that long to boot.

i tried lookin for a crack version of that program, but i cant see one that has any positive comments, i.e- no virus, i wont download nuffin unless i know beforehand its virus free, and even at that iam still wary.

Apart from that, i think all the things that program can do mate is same as just applying the tweaks manually yourself, you can find the tweaks all over the internet, but i may be wrong, maybe that program is great, i dunno, have you tried it mate ?? if so , please tell us more about the tweaks etc.

cheers.

p.s
I have windows vista extreme edition (modded ultimate).
and 2gb ram.
cpu is an intel core 2 duo E6850 @ 3GHz

I'm using Vista 64 on a C2Q at 3.4Ghz with 4 GB RAM and it takes less than 30 seconds to load, always on the twenties.

iam using a sony ar61s laptop it gets there in around 30sec

wow, thats super fast, can anyone thats getting boot times of about 30 seconds like previously posted, please take a short 30second video of the process on thier mobile phone camera or webcam and let me see, iam amazed that people can get vista to boot in 30 secs to desktop screen, infact, even xp would amaze me, please let us all see uncut video.

thanks.

p.s
ive just ordered another 1gb of ram so that i will have 3gb to see if the boot time is quicker, does this also mean i can switch on all the vista aero eye candy too and it will run perfect and fast ??

Last edited by a moderator:
as i said before, i will believe it when i see it with my own eyes people saying they can boot to vista ultimate desktop in 30seconds, and on a fully loaded pc too, i just cant see how its possible, i mean, the bootscreen that has the little green bar that go's back n forth, thats still there beyond about 30seconds, hmmmm ??

Maybe it makes one HUGE difference having 3 or 4gb ram as apposed to 2gb, i dont know, and thats why iam awaiting delivery of another 1gb ram so that i can check and see for myself if 3gb makes a difference to boot time, if it doesnt then its ok one way or other, money aint wasted as the extra ram will certainly make a difference when running multipill applications all at one time :proud:

Would still like to see proof from the guys who say vista boots from switch on to first view of desktop in 30seconds, use your webcam or phone cam to take a 30sec clip and let us see please.

Only 2Gb Ram here mate.

Vista is shit anyway.

I dont agree that vista is shite, but thats for another subject.

well, i take that back a bit, it was shite when it first came out, but since service pack and all the other updates its pretty bang on now.

I tried xp pro on this machine the other day, first time ive seen xp on this machine as it came pre-installed with vista, anyways, tried xp and ohhh man........it was like going back in time, LOL, it looked pure crap, so i jazzed it up a bit with the vista lookAlike addon pack thingys, and it still looked pure shite, LOL, i couldnt get xp back off quick enough to get vista back on man, as far as iam concerned its vista all the way :proud:, xp is dead and buried, and it looks it too, lol...Plus the fact microsoft will stop supporting xp very soon and that means no more updates etc (apart from security updates), and nearly 99% of new pc's on sale have vista on them, so its a no brainer really, vista wins, well until this next new windows comes out, whats it called again, cant remember now, brain is like a sivve, lol, comes out end of 2009 (supposidly), heard it all before.

Last edited by a moderator:
xp pro only takes around 20 seconds from pushing the on button to getting to a useable desktop

if i didnt have all the shite on load up it was about 10-13 seconds boot up

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

xp pro only takes around 20 seconds from pushing the on button to getting to a useable desktop

if i didnt have all the shite on load up it was about 10-13 seconds boot up

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

wowww, getting faster now, lol, can we see a small clip of your xp machine getting to desktop in 10 to 20seconds mate ??? also, what kinda stuff you got in there, ram etc ??

I would prefer to see these miraculous times on vista bootup though that people claim they have as it was originally a vista thread.

I dont agree that vista is shite, but thats for another subject.

well, i take that back a bit, it was shite when it first came out, but since service pack and all the other updates its pretty bang on now.

I tried xp pro on this machine the other day, first time ive seen xp on this machine as it came pre-installed with vista, anyways, tried xp and ohhh man........it was like going back in time, LOL, it looked pure crap, so i jazzed it up a bit with the vista lookAlike addon pack thingys, and it still looked pure shite, LOL, i couldnt get xp back off quick enough to get vista back on man, as far as iam concerned its vista all the way :proud:, xp is dead and buried, and it looks it too, lol...Plus the fact microsoft will stop supporting xp very soon and that means no more updates etc (apart from security updates), and nearly 99% of new pc's on sale have vista on them, so its a no brainer really, vista wins, well until this next new windows comes out, whats it called again, cant remember now, brain is like a sivve, lol, comes out end of 2009 (supposidly), heard it all before.

lol, you can keep your Vista mate. Been there done it, didn't like it and got rid of it. Periodically I go back just incase something good has happened but I'm always dissapointed.

Nice eye candy if that's important to you otherwise it's the God of all Bloatware.

I'll hold of for Microsofts next attempt.

wowww, getting faster now, lol, can we see a small clip of your xp machine getting to desktop in 10 to 20seconds mate ??? also, what kinda stuff you got in there, ram etc ??

I would prefer to see these miraculous times on vista bootup though that people claim they have as it was originally a vista thread.

its the E4500 @ 2.24ghz with 2gb of 800mhz ram

with 2 hard drives a 250gb with the os and progs etc and a 500gb with nothing but shite on it!

onboard graphics aswell

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I have windows vista ultimate.
and 2gb -800mhz ram
cpu is an intel core 2 duo E6850 @ 3GHz
2x250gb sata drives setup independantly (ide in bios).
Nvidia 8800GTS graphics.

Local windows drive has hardly anything on it as its a new windows install, and the other drive is just a backup drive which is about 1/2 full, but i guess the backup drive wouldnt really have any effect on boot times anyways.

ohh, and i have zonealarms security suite 2009 running too constantly obviously, apart from that theres nuffin else running.

Back