Vista, how fast does yours boot ?

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been trying to time the bootup time of vista recently, obvioulsy different setups etc will have different boot times, but iam asking those of you who have a half decent system and dont have a whole load of junk booting up etc, please time yours to see how quick it boots up, when i say "boots up", i mean to the first point of seeing the windows desktop screen, not after any internet security is loaded etc as that can sometimes take a good few seconds more.

Just want a rough guide, doesnt need to be spot on, just look at the second hand on your watch as it starts, mines gets to the desktop screen in approx 55-60 seconds.

Be good to see how fast others are and if much faster how they get it to do it that fast.

cheers.

right guys, 3gb ram now installed, no change to boot times, hmmmmm ??

so, you vista ultimate users that have similar drives (500gb), can you post up your 30second video clip showing vista boot in that time, i keep asking and get nuffin back ??

Only way i can see vista booting in a few secs is with using I-Ram hardware, apart from that i just cant figure out how you'z come up with these times ?

p.s
and i dont mean booting from sleep mode incase anyone thinks i mean that.

Last edited by a moderator:
how "shite" do you have at startup?

which AV are you using aswell?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

lol, by "shite" i guess you mean crap programs, lol ??

I have nothing booting up in msconfig/startup accept zonealarms security suite 2009.

Visual i have nvidia 8800GTS and audio is onboard realtek HD sound.

your av system maybe has something to do with your boot times, is it a resource hog during normal windows use?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Cold start Vista boot times:
Laptop from battery: 1min 53sec
Laptop from mains: 1min 25sec
HTPC: 1min 25sec
Main rig: 2min 7sec
All timed from pressing power button to firefox 3 loading (added to the startup folder).

Laptop specs: Pentium Dual Core T3210 @ 1.46Ghz; 2Gb DDR2 533; 160Gb SATA (unknown if 1.5 or 3Gb/s) 5400rpm HDD; running Vista HP 32bit with prefetching turned off, + Nod32 AV.

HTPC specs: Pentium D 940 @ 3.2Ghz (stock), 2Gb DDR2 800, 120Gb Samsung SpinPoint SATA 3Gb/s HDD; running Vista HP 64bit with prefetching turned off + Eset security suite.

Main rig specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz stock; 4Gb (4x1Gb) DDR2 1066; 300Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA 3Gb/s as boot/program drive + extra 500Gb and 1Tb SATA 3Gb/s HDDs for storage (pics, films and music); running Vista Ultimate 64bit with prefetching enabled and Nod32.

Last edited:
Wow, you could almost boil a fooking egg in that time! :)
Lol.

I think the main PC result is slightly erroneous for 2 reasons; first is only when its compared against the laptop and HTPC and is down to prefetching being turned off on the latter two. Second is down to that the main rig was installed over XP and has several programs still 'installed' but not used since. It could really do with reinstalling.

Cold start Vista boot times:
Laptop from battery: 1min 53sec
Laptop from mains: 1min 25sec
HTPC: 1min 25sec
Main rig: 2min 7sec
All timed from pressing power button to firefox 3 loading (added to the startup folder).

Laptop specs: Pentium Dual Core T3210 @ 1.46Ghz; 2Gb DDR2 533; 160Gb SATA (unknown if 1.5 or 3Gb/s) 5400rpm HDD; running Vista HP 32bit with prefetching turned off, + Nod32 AV.

HTPC specs: Pentium D 940 @ 3.2Ghz (stock), 2Gb DDR2 800, 120Gb Samsung SpinPoint SATA 3Gb/s HDD; running Vista HP 64bit with prefetching turned off + Eset security suite.

Main rig specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz stock; 4Gb (4x1Gb) DDR2 1066; 300Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA 3Gb/s as boot/program drive + extra 500Gb and 1Tb SATA 3Gb/s HDDs for storage (pics, films and music); running Vista Ultimate 64bit with prefetching enabled and Nod32.

ok mate, thanks for posting up your times, seems that we aint alone with slow vista boot times then, lol.

Can i just get this correct with people, how are we testing the boot time here, is it from the system being switched off at the power supply (which is what is meant to be for test), or from first sign of boot screen text till first site of windows desktop screen ??
Just wondering incase people are timing it differently, so I/we need to set a standard of testing, maybe someone can suggest best way ??

p.s
hmmm, i wonder if my zonealarms security suite is slowing things away down ?? i was always told that zonealarms was not very resource hogging.

p.p.s
and i wonder if having a program like diskeeper constantly running keeping the drives permanently defraged would help or not, i know that i never used to be in favour of leaving such programs on constant but according to diskeepers info it doesnt impact on hard drive performance at all ?

your av system maybe has something to do with your boot times, is it a resource hog during normal windows use?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

hmmm, i dont know mate, to be honest i wouldnt know the difference if the graphics card and audio was hogging resources as i just install them when i install windows as i have no other option.

I think he was asking you if it was? Since you use it the question was do you think its a resource hogger?

Anyway, i tested a few display pc's yesterday in my friends shop, just out of interest because i dont really use vista myself. All new machines running vista booted within 30 to 40 seconds, ranging from Athlon4800 to Athlon 5800 with different memory etc. However, all machines are sataII hdd and none have Anti-virus on yet, with just basic software loaded.
The main vista workhorse there took 1 minute 10 seconds, running Bullguard AV and loads of software installed. Running any AV software will slow boot times, like if this same machine had Norton then no doubt it would take 3 minutes to boot. If you are getting boot times anywhere around 1 minute then Zone Alarm cant be that bad.

Last edited:
I think he was asking you if it was? Since you use it the question was do you think its a resource hogger?

Anyway, i tested a few display pc's yesterday in my friends shop, just out of interest because i dont really use vista myself. All new machines running vista booted within 30 to 40 seconds, ranging from Athlon4800 to Athlon 5800 with different memory etc. However, all machines are sataII hdd and none have Anti-virus on yet, with just basic software loaded.
The main vista workhorse there took 1 minute 10 seconds, running Bullguard AV and loads of software installed. Running any AV software will slow boot times, like if this same machine had Norton then no doubt it would take 3 minutes to boot. If you are getting boot times anywhere around 1 minute then Zone Alarm cant be that bad.

yea mate, iam getting times of about 55 to 1min 10secs, so it must be normal :)

p.s
i find zonealarms ok, but how really would i know if its hogging resources ??

yea mate, iam getting times of about 55 to 1min 10secs, so it must be normal :)

p.s
i find zonealarms ok, but how really would i know if its hogging resources ??
Slasher,

From reading back - you are measuring from switch on to when you see the windows logo, is that correct?

If mine boots quick I will video it for you.

Brand new Acer M1460 running Vista Home on a pitiful 512Mb Ram...

Untouched boot time was 2 minutes 31 seconds!

After I added 2Gb Ram it booted up at 1 minute 28 seconds.

After I removed McAfee it booted in 39 seconds!!

Brand new Acer M1460 running Vista Home on a pitiful 512Mb Ram...

Untouched boot time was 2 minutes 31 seconds!

After I added 2Gb Ram it booted up at 1 minute 28 seconds.

After I removed McAfee it booted in 39 seconds!!

ahhh, looking more n more like internet security is one big headache when it comes to vista boot times, hmmmm.. fook, i have zonealarms, i always was told zonealarms was one of the ones that was pretty lean, maybe not. Mybe i should try uninstalling it and see what the boot time is like.

how are you getting your boot times so accurate mate, is it just a rough time your saying or are you using a stopwatch or summit, lol ?

I sat with my watch and timed it exactly mate, just for this thread :)

I've timed it again a few times and the boot time has increased slightly to 41 seconds. :)

ok, i uninstalled zonealarms internet security, also made sure windows firewall was disabled and i even disabled my internet/network connection.

I tried my best to time the bootup exactly from my kitchen wall clock second hand.

I tested from the moment i pressed the "on button" on the pc and I got to the first view of a desktop screen in 58seconds give or take 1 second.

So we have helped in this thread to proove that internet security does impact in vista boot times quite a bit, but for me its still far to slow, especially for a system like mines which is relativley high spec.

One thing i did notice though with the internet security uninstalled was that my shutdown time was massivley better, only took a few secs to shutdown where'as before it sometime took as long shuting down as it did starting up.

p.s
has anyone tried any of the many vista tweaks going around to make vista boot quicker ?

Ive been doing some thinking (yea, the peabrain works just a little, lol), i was thinking, wonder if I was to install windows on a drive of its own and install all other applications to the other backup drive, iam pretty sure that would make windows boot in fastttttt time and you could still access the applications same as usual but from the other drive, what iam meaning is if windows is on a drive of its own, preferably a small capacity drive, then its got to boot up lightning fast, cant see why not. hmmm.

what yaz think ?

Back