vista back to xp

mastichick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Afew months ago I bought a laptop off a guy (legit)lol he had xp on it but a few weeks before he sold it to me he installed vista legitally through the PB website now after trying to use it I just dont like it and would like to go return back to xp without losing any data. Is it possible to go backwards to the orig xp that was on the lappie without doing a clean install of xp and losing any data.

Thanks

Hi

Afew months ago I bought a laptop off a guy (legit)lol he had xp on it but a few weeks before he sold it to me he installed vista legitally through the PB website now after trying to use it I just dont like it and would like to go return back to xp without losing any data. Is it possible to go backwards to the orig xp that was on the lappie without doing a clean install of xp and losing any data.

Thanks

There are two ways you can go about this.

1) Backup your data on a network and do a CLEAN install of XP (Ideal because Windows is bad at house keeping, when offered with a chance to do a clean install, do so).

2) Apparantly, although I have never used it, Vista has a partition resizer. Resize your main partition, create a new one, copy your data to it and then do a CLEAN install of XP. I know of this feature from a good source, although, he uses Vista Ultimate. Check if you have the capability.

I don't think you are going to get around doing a clean install, and even if someone presents you with a way of reverting to XP, I personally would still do a clean install.

Definitely the easiest way to do it is to back up your data and to a format and clean install of XP....

another quick way (back up your data first) is to boot from the Xp disk, when it asks you which partition to use choose delete this partition, then create partition and it will be 'formatted' ;) bobs yer uncle

Back