VirginMedia to target BitTorrent users !

The loss of customers won't even register as a blip on their radar.

People will moan about it as usual, but they'll still pay their monthly subs.

Do you know of many people who left due to the existing traffic shaping scheme?

Rapidshare & the newsgroups may see an influx of new customers though :)

Bitorrent traffic can easily be encrypted with SSL and the likes.

Makes no differenece.

If VM see Gb's of data flowing to one user constantly, they will hump it.

Yes that what they do, Karym6 definition of hump is a euphemism that means they will butt ferk you still if they see a lot of traffic and data going your way;)

Squash it flat, throttle back the user.

but they do that now anyway, how much more can they do it?
and if they did what would be the point in having a 50mb connection?

but they do that now anyway, how much more can they do it?
and if they did what would be the point in having a 50mb connection?
Simple, they knacker everything that isnt port 80, 21, 53, 1053 etc....

If they see you doing anything else on any other port and it doesnt match up with a trusted service (iTunes for instance), they pull the rug out from underneath you.

I dont think they went to all the trouble to offer 50mbps downloads so people can rape the internet for torrents day and night :)

If they stick to current traffic shaping methods, then 75% would take your bandwidth down to a 12Mb for the 5 hour period.

Still not too shabby, but why should you pay for a premium service which is restricted.

What precisely do VM think people are going to go for the 50Mb package for anyway...on line gaming???? LoL

I dont think they went to all the trouble to offer 50mbps downloads so people can rape the internet for torrents day and night :)

That's exactly why i'll be sticking to my current 10mb connection which allows me to download approx 1gb between 7am and 9.30pm before it restricts my download speed to something slightly faster than 56k dialup.

tbh i don't really care how long a 5gb download takes when i'm in the land of nod anyway.

You gotta love'm for trying though.

vee50.png

Last edited:
Well, I seem them lining themselves as an IPTV provider.

All of this traffic management and increasing speeds, I am not sure why they are doing this. But it gets customers on the books I guess...

having said that I just checked and the 50mb service isn't available in my area......

I feel all excluded now :Cry:

ps: I do not condone or promote the use of t0rrents or any other p2p protocols as a means of obtaining copyrighted material without permission.

usenet is much better

Last edited:
I think we should keep up with that exclusive DC++ hub ticking over just in case they hit newsgroups too.

Then we can share things all nice and comfy.

I think we should keep up with that exclusive DC++ hub ticking over just in case they hit newsgroups too.

Then we can share things all nice and comfy.

i think it died of neglect about a year ago

A friend of mine Inquired about the 50 meg update and was told by virgin that it would cost him an extra £3 per month to upgrade and that they were not going to traffic manage it at the moment but monitor it to see what happened. £3 extra !!

Back