Virgin BB and Usenet access

TShirtJohn

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suspended my Giganews subscription a while back but thinking of restoring it

I suspended it because it was like pulling teeth trying to download anything never mind large files

I'm on the 100MB package so does anyone know if it's stil a nightmare cos of Virgins "fair use policy"?

I tried using the VPN service that Giganews have but it wasn't much better at times

So before i restore... anyone got any info?

Cheers

as far as i know the 50MB and 100MB do not have fair use policy but there do get hit with traffic shaping from 5pm till midnight

i am on 50MB and i was getting about .5 of a MB when the traffic shaping kick in from newsgroup

i did find that moving to port 443 with ssl give me my full speed back but i have been reading that there are now stopping this,how true that is i am not sure

I'm on the 100meg service and only download one or two TV episodes per day. Anything after 5pm weekdays, it is painfully slow with newsgroups and using SSL.

Their VPN service might hide what you are trying to do but its only got a could of meg of bandwidth.

As mentioned VM do traffic shaping regardless of the package 5pm to midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends. But it is dependant on the traffic in your area. Some days I can still get 50mb from usenet even during shaping hours, other days I can't.

I'm on the 100meg service and only download one or two TV episodes per day. Anything after 5pm weekdays, it is painfully slow with newsgroups and using SSL.

could i just ask ,did you know before you got your 100meg that you where going to be hit this hard on downloading from newsgroup,if yes why did you move to 100meg ????

as soon as ssl stop working ,i will be calling them up and putting my bb down to 10meg and downloading over night as i see no point in getting 50mb,100mb and then having to download at night

or i might just move to BE or something as my contract with VM is up soon i think

Last edited:
I was on 50meg for long time and never experienced throttling any time of day. It was only a few pounds extra a month to upgrade.
Its possible there are just more people in my area using it so it may have happened if I stayed on 50 meg.

Sometimes it's a joke, I remember as far back as 56k and usenet..... It's worse now lol

I use the virgin forums but the support is a joke, I said I work from home so they said it was my fault as its not designed for business.... They put me on this package cos they make more money off me as business package is only £50 and I'm paying about £75 a month the now for my 100MB BB and my telephone line with its add ons

I also find that most of the usenet nbz websites have dropped the ball on ebooks, training, resources n such.... Its mostly all just movies and music :(

They updated their policy recently and posted it on the VM forums. It says if you sell regularly on ebay for example, you need to be on their business package.
I'm thinking of moving home soon and always thought I would stay with VM in future but now not so sure.

Thy moved me from personal to business on my request then moved me back on their advice and they now make more from me

Back