Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Virgin or BT Infinity?

Hiya, ive just had a phone call off bt saying infinity is now available in our area, they have said i should get 63 meg dload and 9 or 19 upload cant remember which now, i asked about fair usuage and she said its true unlimited now, is that the case ? As i remember reading when it first came out it was around 300gig a month, Im with o2 now and get 5 meg dload and theres nothing else in my area thats faster except bt infinity, if it was o2 doing it id jump at the chance but im not keen on bt for broadband and im not keen on the 18 month contract, overall it gona be £40 a month, paided the line rental upfront for 12 months which works out at £10 a month, then £30 for infinity unlimited and unlimited phone calls, what do people think ?

Sent from my apple using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
infinity2 service is unlimited but if i where you i would hold off a month or 2
o2 have fiber optic broadband trials at the min using there staff
and i beleave it should be getting rolled out june july time

Hiya, i think its ok price really to say what im getting, ive actually been on the phone to o2 after bt called and o2 told me there at least a year away from providing super fast broadband, there only in very early stages of testing it, thats what the guy told me anyway on the phone,

Hi peeps thought i would throw my 2 cents in.

I would not touch bt infinity with a barge pole, I have had it and the quoted speed i never got. It was disconnecting and speed would be dropping in and out. Many years ago i said i would never go back to bt but i did to try the infinity broadband... Virgin was better so I went back with them and they where cheaper. Obviously dilly you cannot go with virgin as you stated your not in a cable area but i would stay well clear of bt.. My experience of there service was crap... crap customer service... crap pricing and just generally a crap company that should climb back in to whatever overpriced cave they come from. Stick with o2 for the meantime mate as i would not touch bt

Regards

Fruitball

Hiya, yeah no where your coming from fruitball as i was with bt broadband fair few years ago and i said i wunt go back with them again, but if i want super fast broadband i ant got much choice really, talktalk say they are bringing it out soon but if you think bt is bad service try talktalk they really are a joke, theres plusnet but theres a 120g download limit during peak times , i think its unlimited during non peak times but im not 100% sure on that, its thehuge in crease in speed thats tempting me, 12 times faster than what i get now, there ringing back on monday so il have a read up see whats what then decided, see if they will do 12 month contract aswell but i doubt it,

Hi Dilly,

I have Infinity 2 mate, did have the normal infinity and upgraded.... its a 12 month contract, or at least thats what I have.

Speed wise, On the Bt home hub 3 all I could get wireless was 30meg down and around 15meg up.... no matter what I could not get more, I have taken their hub out and put my old d link dir615 router in its place and am now getting Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed
The most I have had is 74meg down and 17meg up on wireless :) Im happy with that. BT box is at the end of my street as well so I am a fair way away from it with copper wire to the cab.
BT's Tech support is largely rubbish tbh, and is offshore. Although, any big ish problems I have had - I let the offshore have a try, when they fail I just email the CEO and my problems are sorted pretty quickly by the Newcastle tech team that are in the ceo level complaints team.

Hiya, thanks for that mate, so overall your happy then, il have to get a router if i go with them then, il ring bt tomorrow and if they say i can have a 12 month contract il give them ago for a year, then by then o2 might of finally got there super fast broadband going , thanks

Hiya, thanks for that mate, so overall your happy then, il have to get a router if i go with them then, il ring bt tomorrow and if they say i can have a 12 month contract il give them ago for a year, then by then o2 might of finally got there super fast broadband going , thanks

Yea mate, happy enough for the price tbh. Virgin have speed issues here all the time, at the start of every contract ive had with them... excellent speed, few months in... goes too pot !

You may well get a good hub out the box as they are changing some things. On infinity 2 its only used as a router anyhow.... you have an extra modem installed to get the speed :)

I've only ever had a phoneline with bt and that was only for the Internet so it was never used but somehow they started overcharging me and it was a nightmare to sort out, you'll be on hold for ages and their call centre staff were near useless! I'll never go back to bt and I'll never advise anyone does either!

Hiya, just thought id update the thread, bt rang again today like they said they would but wouldnt do a 12 month contract only 18 month so i decided against it, id of tried it on a 12 month contract but dont want to be stuck with them for 18 months if its crap, just to many different opinions on how good they are, so il be sticking as i am for now, thanks

I was with BT for a long time and then I cancelled and went with Virgin/NTL at the time. Bt got very stroppy over this and the nasty letters came flooding in thick and fast from them. Quotes like "when the honeymoon period is over with Virgin come back to us at a discount price". This made me more determined never to go back with BT. There call centres are crap unless you speak fluent Pakistani in which case you will be fine. My advice Virgin Media everytime. :)

Back