Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Virgin 20MB help

hi

thanks guys for the replys i found out its not the modem thats slowing things down its my router an old linksys BEFSR41 V2 its only capable of 10mb.

Can you guys recommend a good router for the 20mb service

cheers

i`m using the d-link 604 and haven`t had any problems with it
hi

thanks guys for the replys i found out its not the modem thats slowing things down its my router an old linksys BEFSR41 V2 its only capable of 10mb.

Can you guys recommend a good router for the 20mb service

cheers

its difficult finding a router that works for everyone to be honest. im on virgin 20mb and have had a belkin router which would work for a while like few months then constantly keep crashing. now ive got a linksys and that isnt so much better. ive heard many people with similar problems but i thinks its mainly to do with the ethernet cables as they dont connect so securely with the router.

20 mb virgin router

I have had this problem in the past and found a netgear wrg614 version 6 that has served me well, never crashed and has good security on the wireless side.

The unit runs at the full 2400Kbps, Its just a shame VM cannot keep there speeds that high at a constant rate!

you also need to watch for virgins "fair usage policy" as they drop your 20 Mbit to 5 Mbit at peek times!!!!

and we thought tiscali were bad!!!!!

If I remember correctly, on the 20Mb service if you download more than 3GB between 4pm - 12am, you are capped to 5 meg for four hours.
If you continue to download at 5 meg you can still easily clock up more than 3GB during peak hours.
Sometimes it takes until 2am for my 20Mb service to go back to full speed as I am always downloading at my maximum rate.

Chris101 where are you downloading from? You won't max out your connection unless you download from newsgroups or are part of a private torrent site whose uploaders use seedboxes.

Last edited:
Back