USB to serial null modem

Jim Bob

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
can anyone reccommend a decent USB to serial null modem cable.
I bought one but its never worked.
I am having problems with my TM500s and want to give it a try.

Thx.

I only use desktop PC's. I gave up trying to find a reliable adapter and bought a PCI to serial card with a 'real port'.

If you have only laptops I hope someone can suggest an adapter that works for you.

iv bought a couple of these in the past too and could never get them to work, both on vista and windows xp, never tried with windows 7 as iv binned them now, i just bought a cheap pc with a proper serial serial port, as they work everytime!

I got a cheap one of ebay and it worked fine after downloading the prolific drivers for it and when i changed to a vista /win 7 laptop i got the drivers for it
from off here and it still worked ok

edogg

thats the thing though isnt it, its pick and mix what will work, as there loads of cheap import 1s from china kicking about, read loads of people saying they couldnt get them to work, but good luck finding 1!

Hi,
can anyone reccommend a decent USB to serial null modem cable.
I bought one but its never worked.
I am having problems with my TM500s and want to give it a try.

Thx.

try the prolific drivers (google) most adapters use them, install drivers before plugging in the adapter/usb lead, windows will probably say 'driver not certified'
click install anyway, I did mine this way on Vista and win 7, when connecting to the tm500 the cable /adapter becomes live, and you may need to change the port that windows gives it in device manager in order for the software to find the box
Hope this makes sense

thx for advice. i downloaded driver from prolific but no joy.
Might try another cable or just get 2nd hand computer.

Try googling driver magician as a torrent, this software will search the internet for the best drivers for every piece of kit you have, it may find the right driver for you and then automatically install it... Just a long shot, but i use it for every pc i fix or build.

here try these drivers
View attachment 58917
View attachment 58918

I think the 2nd one is for vista/win7 then make sure you select the right lpt port when connecting you have to click connect and then turn the box on the timing is critical so keep trying

edogg

Hi,

When you insert the cable into the laptop/pc does it start looking for drivers.

Back