usb port

mrscoop99

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi just new to this forum my usb port is broken has anyone any ideas how to get the firmware into the box is the rs232 cable the only answer or is there any where that could fix it

I wouldn't have thought it would be a particularly difficult thing to fix, if it is just the socket that's broken. Anyone reasonably experienced with a soldering iron should be able to tackle it. And USB sockets are easily come by, there are plenty of dead/unwanted PC's about that could be cannibalised. Local TV repair shop perhaps?

I wouldn't have thought it would be a particularly difficult thing to fix, if it is just the socket that's broken. Anyone reasonably experienced with a soldering iron should be able to tackle it. And USB sockets are easily come by, there are plenty of dead/unwanted PC's about that could be cannibalised. Local TV repair shop perhaps?
thanks for your reply the usb stick is going into the port but it will not read the files the port is part the motherboard so it could be quite tricky but I could get someone to look at it the stick shows all firmware when I put it into the computer

@mrscoop99

Hi just new to this forum my usb port is broken has anyone any ideas how to get the firmware into the box is the rs232 cable the only answer or is there any where that could fix it

I realise that you've already stated that the USB port/socket on the receiver appears to be broken/faulty... but it may be worthwhile to try the following...

Switch the TM 5402 HD OFF using the power switch on the rear of the receiver... insert the USB Flash Drive into the receiver as normal... then press and hold down the POWER BUTTON on the front of the receiver as you switch the TM 5402 HD back ON using the power switch on the rear of the receiver... continue to press and hold down the POWER BUTTON until you see the BOOT LOADER MENU on the TV screen... then release the POWER BUTTON... you will see two options for loading firmware/files... however the BOOT LOADER program usually scans the USB Flash Drive and downloads the latest/most recent firmware automatically...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done you guys, I'm hoping to get MY new TM5402HD early this coming week so I'm watching all these posts with great interest - espec this USB 'problem' as there's only the ONE port on this model as against being used to TWO on my old TM6900HD Super!!:Hit:

Thanks @Zorch. Very handy 'cure' to have to hand. My fear would have been wiping everything, then discovering the USB port still didn't work and being left with a virtual brick.

@holmroad- why do you want a 5402 when you already have a 6902? Not that there is anything at all wrong with the 5402, but I thought the 6902 did everything the 5402 can and more.....:err:

Last edited:
I havent got a 6902 mate, but had my now obsolete 6900HD Super - which is BRILL, but getting more & more issues with it nowadays, both hardware AND obviously software!
So thought I'd save up my pennies and go for the 5402HD as it too has many useful features, ok not the terrestrial option, but now got Freesat AND Freeview via my TV, so thats really a bit of a gimmick now! The 6900HD Super also has TWO USB's, which I admit I WILL miss, but I'm sure I'll get round that somehow!
Regards:Hit:

Sorry, my misread. Anyone tried a USB hub? Or would there be driver issues there?

@mrscoop99

...the usb stick is going into the port but it will not read the files......the stick shows all firmware when I put it into the computer

How long have you had your receiver... and when was the last time you successfully downloaded firmware/channel list (cndf) files with/via your USB Flash Drive...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch I have had the box about 2 yrs I last put data into it about 3 wks ago

@holmroad
How to get round only having 1 usb on tm5402
Take one out when needed and insert other.
Repeat as needed.

Hi mate - that was EXACTLY what I was hinting at - as YOU'D say, not rocket science eh?
Only problem is, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ONE USB is at the rear - so I'll maybe have to pull my receiver out every time I want to either update firmware via USB memory stick, or use PVR hard disc, as I assume a USB hub may be problematical?:silly:

@mrscoop99

...the usb stick is going into the port but it will not read the files......the stick shows all firmware when I put it into the computer

How long have you had your receiver... and when was the last time you successfully downloaded firmware/channel list (cndf) files with/via your USB Flash Drive...?

Hi Zorch I have had the box about 2 yrs I last put data into it about 3 wks ago

I really don't understand this USB port/socket problem... surely if the BOOT LOADER program can access/read/download from the USB Flash Drive that is attached/connected to the receiver... then why can't the USB Data Transfer program (in the menu) also access/read/download from the USB Flash Drive...?

I might be suggesting the obvious here... but it's worth a try... and if it means that the problem can be fixed without having to send the receiver out for repair... then it will have been a worthwhile exercise...!!

NB: I've explained the procedure (below) in detail as this may also help newbie/novice Technomate users.

Insert USB Flash Drive into PC
Removable Disk (?) folder appears on-screen
Transfer/move ALL files within the folder to an alternative location/folder on the PC
Close Removable Disk (?) folder
Go to 'Computer'
Highlight/right-click on Removable Disk (?)
Click 'Properties' (on drop-down box)
Removable Disk (?) Properties box appears
File System: this should state FAT32

NB: If FAT32 is NOT stated as the 'File System' then this could be why the TM receiver is not recognising the USB Flash Drive... if this is the case then the 'File System' will have to be changed (see end of procedure) ***

Click on 'Tools' tab
Error-Checking: click 'Check Now...' button

NB: A message box may appear on-screen asking if you want to empty the USB drive's Recycle Bin before continuing... select OK/YES

Check Disc Options: select/tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' & 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' then click 'Start' button
Defragmentation: click 'Defragment Now...' button

NB: A message box may appear on-screen asking if you want to empty the USB drive's Recycle Bin before continuing... select OK/YES

Your Defragmentation program should now appear on-screen
Highlight/select Removable Disk (?) and defragment the drive
Close your Defragmentation program
Click on 'Hardware' tab
Highlight USB 2.0 Flash Disk USB Device
Device Properties should read... Device Status: This device is working properly.
Click 'OK' button
Click 'OK' button on Removable Disk (?) Properties
Screen returns to 'Computer'
Highlight/right-click on Removable Disk (?)
Click 'Format...' (on drop-down box)
Format Removable Disk (?) box appears
If 'File System' is NOT set to FAT32 then change the setting NOW ***
Click 'Start' button
Formatting Removable Disk (?)
Format Complete
Click 'OK' button
Click 'Close' button

Remove USB Flash Drive from PC using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' utility on the taskbar

Now check to see if the USB Flash Drive is being recognised by the receiver...

Insert USB Flash Drive > Press Menu > USB > Check Disk > Press OK > Do you see a message saying Disk Check is Successful!...?

If the answer to the above is YES

Go to Disk Information > Press OK > Does the Disk Information now come up on-screen...?

Go to Format Disc > Warning !! Do you want to format Disk? > Select 'YES' > Press 'OK' > Do you see a message saying Format is Successful...?

Exit all menus... remove USB Flash Drive from receiver... insert USB Flash Drive into PC... your USB Flash Drive & associated folder should now have been renamed... mine was changed to HOPPY LABEL (K)

You can now transfer/move all of your files back to your USB Flash Drive and use as per normal.

Addendum
If the above doesn't solve the USB port/socket problem then another possibility is that it's being caused by a previous firmware download that was corrupt or became corrupted somehow... and remnants of this are still present within the receivers' flash memory... this could have happened because the correct firmware loading procedures were not followed...

There's only one way to find out... and that's by doing a FULL factory reset of your receiver... if you decide to do this it will mean sacrificing your current channel list... however you've already stated (on another thread) that you want to load a new cndf/channel list anyway...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi guys problem solved my son had put the write protection on the usb stick when it came off everything works fine so if this happens to anyone else check for the write protection switch on the usb stick first thanks to all you guys for your help especially Zorch

Hi again mrscoop99,

Thanks for letting us know mate... it's a new one on me... I'll have to remember this...!!

I bet you're glad you didn't send it out for repair...!!

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but i feel the need too say thank you for the info on how to update firmware i knew i had read it somewhere just took me all-day too find it thanks again for the useful info headache now gone after a few hours

Back