Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

usb 3g modem and dreambox

oscar

Inactive User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello , i need help as i am loosing the will to live. i moved house at the begining of feb and am still waiting to get broadband of bt,said now to be in late april, so i bought a "3 network usb modem" so i can at least acces the web, is there any way i can set up my dream to use cccam with this modem i have seen a router with usb and was wondering if it would work , surley i am not doomed to 5 channels,thanks
colin

I would think if you can see you router and you have your ethernet in , i think you should get access
,nice to know if you can.

I was thinking about this also.
Presumably, these 3G USB modems require some drivers and software on the pc to work, so you would need to set up the internet connection by connecting the modem to the pc.
But, could you then set the pc up for internet sharing, connect the dreambox to the PC, and get the DM on-line?

i suppose it might be possible using mikes method, but be careful if you've got a limit of say 3gig a month especially if it's for a certain provider using NDS as the keys change a hell of a lot so you'll prob end up over your limit and be charged

ye i only get three gig a month but i am not arsed about getting charged as bt are paying for the usb modem untill i get one of them, i am using vista 64 , so miketv how would i get my pc to internet sharing i have had a look on the network settings and that is already set up. ibut i cannot connect to my dm from pc through ethernet cable for some reason
colin

i'll be honest, i'm not sure about this, but theoretically it should work.
You'll need to create a connection between your DM and your PC though.
Not sure if this would need to be a manual crossover ethernet, or wireless connection.
You will probably have to configure network gateways / nameservers on the DM to connect to the internet via the pc.
Sorry, this is a big vague, but i've never tried this.
Good luck though.

and if using wired connection you will have to use a rj45 crossover cable and not a straight through cable;)

Hi there,

Never tried it on USB before but I have used my laptop in the past as a wireless NIC for my 360.

To set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on XP you'd connect your USB modem to your PC. Then you right click your USB connection and go to the advanced tab where you tick a box that says "Allow other computers to share this computers internet connection (Or something to that effect been a while since I did it lol). If you don't get this on the USB connection then it may not work unfortunantly. Never tried using a modem on USB before, or it's so long ago I have forgot lol.

Also worth noting when you enable ICS, XP will default your NIC's IP addy to something like 192.168.0.1. You don't have to keep this and can change it to anything you like ;)

You next want to connect your DB to your PC's NIC, but the IP addresses have to be on a different range to your USB internet modem.

e.g. USB IP = 192.168.100.10
NIC = 192.168.200.1
DB = 192.168.200.2

You can use any IP you want so long as the USB is on a different range to your NIC & DB. At least that was the case with the 360 as I put everything on the same range but it just wouldn't connect.....

:)

Back