Urgent! Serious brand new CPU fan problem!

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got all the parts for a new computer today and I assembled it and everything was going ok. I did have a bit of problems installing the CPU fan, but I think it's in place now. My cpu fan though is going absolutely mental. It was working fine, worked for hours, managed to install Vista on it and everything going ok, I moved it to a different room and the CPU started making a buzzing noise.

The sort of noise of scraping. I opened it up and turned it on again to see if any wires were hitting it or anything but nothing like that is happening. I made sure the heatsink was completely tight and it seems to be right in the board.

This is realllly worrying, as it is brand new! This shouldn't be happening! Does anyone have any ideas!? :(! It is unusable like this, as it sounds too dangerous to run and it is very load.

Btw, the cpu is a Core 2 Q9400 and it is a normal fan that came with it in a retail package.

Thanks, seems like the only answer.

Intel's support number is a 0870 number, and is quite expensive. Aren't there ways to find cheap numbers for these support lines on the internet?

Thanks, seems like the only answer.

Intel's support number is a 0870 number, and is quite expensive. Aren't there ways to find cheap numbers for these support lines on the internet?

saynoto0870 dot com ~ or something like that.
HH.

could be a bearing gone in the fan. Is it a stock intel cooler that came with the cpu if so what socket is it?

i have a brand new unused socket 775 intel cooler here you can have if you pay postage.

Thanks for all your help guys, but it turns out it's not the CPU fan after all, it is a fan however, it's the graphics card fan.

It doesn't look easily replacable on its own though, so might have to buy a new card. If anyone knows anything about graphics cooling systems, and whether putting some WD40 on it would help the noise, it's a ATI x1600 XT.

Also, my friend gave me this card so I don't have a warrenty.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help guys, but it turns out it's not the CPU fan after all, it is a fan however, it's the graphics card fan.

It doesn't look easily replacable on its own though, so might have to buy a new card. If anyone knows anything about graphics cooling systems, and whether putting some WD40 on it would help the noise, it's a ATI x1600 XT.

Also, my friend gave me this card so I don't have a warrenty.

Would it not be cheaper to look for a replacement gpu cooler?

EG: h**p://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-024-AR&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=787&name=Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 VGA Cooler

Muskrat

Last edited:
I have replaced a fan for two gpu cards and both of them got burned so if you love to try stuff and then to be dissapointed try to replace it yourself otherwise buy a new gpu :proud:

Back