Updating The Wii Firmware etc

black_arab

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have just successfully (in the end) fitted an Argon Modchip to my daughters Wii. I am a complete newbie to the workings of the Wii and after hours of head banging confusing reading I was wondering if I could get some answers please.

I fitted all the wires including the 4 extra ones for the different regions and would like to know

1...Can I update the Wii firmware through my network without damaging it or the chip. It may not even need an update yet as it was Dec 2007 stock.

2...As it says direct booting of 80% imports am I right in saying that you just need to run the iso through brickblocker or do you need to make it region free aswell.

3...Is it OK to update from a disk as long as I am 100% sure that its Pal.

Sorry for the newbie questions but there are a lot of conflicting stories on the net and I watched my 9 year old this morning turn on the Wii and just press buttons without reading anything on the screen.

As always thanks for any advice.

regards
Bob

I have just successfully (in the end) fitted an Argon Modchip to my daughters Wii. I am a complete newbie to the workings of the Wii and after hours of head banging confusing reading I was wondering if I could get some answers please.

I fitted all the wires including the 4 extra ones for the different regions and would like to know

1...Can I update the Wii firmware through my network without damaging it or the chip. It may not even need an update yet as it was Dec 2007 stock.

2...As it says direct booting of 80% imports am I right in saying that you just need to run the iso through brickblocker or do you need to make it region free aswell.

3...Is it OK to update from a disk as long as I am 100% sure that its Pal.

Sorry for the newbie questions but there are a lot of conflicting stories on the net and I watched my 9 year old this morning turn on the Wii and just press buttons without reading anything on the screen.

As always thanks for any advice.

regards
Bob

1. You can update fine over your network mate, you will probably receive a warning that taking an update if your wii has been modified could damage the wii, but you will be 100% if taking the update from the net.

2.As long as your argon's firmware is above 1.3 then you don't have to regionfrii the iso, may be advisable to brickblock the iso though just to make sure you don't brick your wii, but be aware that brickblocking is not an option with some games as you need to take the update to play the game. Check out the compatibility chart in the stickies to see which games work and which games are not brickblocker compatible.

3.You are safe to take an update from a disk that is pal as long as you are 100% sure its pal.

Thanks again wiiman for your sound advice. I have just checked the console is on firmware 3.1E anyway so its up to date I believe.

I must admit I panicked a bit this morning and made sure my daughter now reads all the writing on the screen. I cursed her yesterday morning when I thought she done something to the Wii and felt awful after I found out it was the loose wire causing the problem.

Just ordered her a microphone for High School Musical from ebay to make up for it but I'm sure to regret that.

Back