Twins Memory

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
Fooking hell, 256Mb of Flash Ram.

Even the DM800SE only has 64Mb, just think of the goodies they could pack into all that ram.

Maybe Android is the future for Linux DVB.

how much could be fitted into something like this??

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Re: Replacement...

how much could be fitted into something like this??

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

:err:

Digi, 2 Gigabit is exactly the same thing as 256MB.

Depending on which scale you want to follow - I'll use the simpler decimal metric prefix for this example rather than making things more complicated by adding the extra 24kb of the binary scale.

Lets say that 1Gb = 1,000,000,000 bits.

Lets turn that into bytes by dividing it by 8.

1,000,000,000/8 = 125000000 Bytes.

Now lets say that 1kB = 1,000 Bytes (decimal prefix, not Binary), so if we divide 125000000 by 1,000 that'll give us 125000 kB, now to turn it into MB we divide 125000 by another 1000 and that gives us 250MB - exactly the same as the AZ-Box.

Factor in the fact that the data is counted in binary and not decimal then you have 256MB.

People write it in bits in order to make it look more impressive.

The 3 Gigabit of RAM is impressive though as that works out at 384MB, a whole 128MB more than the AZ-Box.

Last edited:

Memory Calculation

Whatever calculation anybody does finally question ??? Is there any proper open source Broadcom chip Linux box twin or single tuner out there that has same memory same as tm-twin ???
Ok say 1km=1000 meter or 10000 CM what is the different
2gbit flash= 256 Mega byte
3gbit ram =384 Mega byte
TM has not Brocken any laws or making up figures also clearly written on their gift box Gbit
On board memories are very expensive and time taking to write drivers/programs for it so many brands do not use them because of cost
In tm-twin extra memory will allow user to save in the flash EPG/SKINS/SOFTCAMS/ADDONS/PICONS/short live rewind /streaming/Etc, at the same time
Imagine using usb or HDD drive to save EPG/SKINS/SOFTCAMS/ADDONS/PICONS each time you use HDD has to turn on or if usb by mistake taken out it will not work what a good idea from tm for the comfort of user and speed which many application can be is used at the same time with extra memory

why not just say 258MB/348MB ?

why look to disguise with Gbit and a single number 3Gbit

your right no laws have been broken and it is clear to see on the box! BUT its certainly a crafty and sneaky play with words you cant deny

Can we not create a section for TM-Twin

For discussions such as this?

Ricki I dont think a receiver that is not launched yet needs its own room
if when launched there is a demand for it then one will be created and these threads moved into it mate :)

why not just say 258MB/348MB ?

why look to disguise with Gbit and a single number 3Gbit

your right no laws have been broken and it is clear to see on the box! BUT its certainly a crafty and sneaky play with words you cant deny

It's a trick that some companies use to make their machine appear 'better' than the rest.

At face value 2 Gigabit of Flash memory sounds far more impressive than 256MB of Flash memory.

Reminds me of when I bought my 1st 56,000bps modem, rushing home, plugging it in and realising that 56,000bps was equivalent to less than 7KB - and that was with a good headwind. :)

Last edited:

:aggressive:
:Yikes:
:tongue:

I have excellent idea:Wave::Laugh:
Lets write another 50 posts about it >>> going round and round just because is not mega byte but it is gbit
or
send few emails to TM
TM is not allowed to start any production unless agreed and authorised and sealed in full detailed specification by few DW members
otherwise ??????????:Wave:

TM is not allowed to start any production unless agreed and authorised and sealed in full detailed specification by few DW members

DW is one of THOUSANDS of european forums covering technology, one of hundreds of UK targetted forums, with only a small section dedicated to satellite hobbyists, why would a company the size of TM be worried about what a few forum posters think?

the thread has turned more into a discussion about marketing tactics now than the actual hardware, things never seem to stay 'on topic' lol

I have excellent idea:Wave::Laugh:
Lets write another 50 posts about it >>> going round and round just because is not mega byte but it is gbit
or
send few emails to TM

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

No-one (certainly not me anyway) is accusing TM of any underhand tactics.

@satracer I think the posts have been made and concluded the original error has been corrected

there is not really anything else to say about it

Just to make it clear to any newbe's the spec that is under conversation is for the unreleased TM-TWIN_OE and not the TM800HD

All i wanted was some help with GraphMultiEPG :(

Sorry dan I'll tidy it up later mate

Sent from my iPhone

this thread has been split form another that went off topic, in case anyone is confused

:)

Back