TSOP lifting tutorial.....???

loady

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the guys here who have lifted thier TSOP's and reflashed them would like to give a bit of back ground on how they went about it, ie, what kind of soldering iron and tip did you use, gauge and type of solder if any and any other quipment needed to do the job, also the programmer you may have used to flash it, i wouldnt mind having a go myself, i have a temp controlled soldering iron and i also have a gas soldering iron that has a hot blower attachment and flame attachment....i have had a look around on google but there variety and methods available are so vast itg is not viable to post them here....better to know what method worked best for each of you guys.

loady being a complete no no to soldering myself, i've seen in the cable tv forum how they remove amtel chips from the cable boxes and i'd imagine a similar method could be used. IF you search in vortex theres a vid on how its done.
best of luck m8.

if you also go to the tcniso website, go to video #2 it shows how to remove tsop on a Surfboard.

also if you search tsop removal on the net you will find there are also picture of how to do on there to an xbox 360 and i followed that and removed 2 chips with no probs atall donno why i lifted em tho as i dont have a willem lol

I know everyone going on about use the gas irons and re-flows and was calling me mad when I suggested doing it with wick

but as Iv been soldering years over 25 years To remove em I find the easiest was is with a decent temp controlled iron a descent quality soldering pump and wick.

the video at TCNISO prity much show em doing the same way I would, al be it with a much better tip and iron
http://www.tcniso.net/Nav/Video/tcn_video2_tsop48.wmv

but Iv had years of praitice with a iron.

Last edited:
used a gas 50 from maplin myself and lifted each side of the chip within about 30 secs each side so alot quicker with the blower than using an iron and less fidly

the way i see it is if you need to post asking for instructions then chances are you will f@*k it up first go.

lol i didnt know how to do but had an old dead modem around so had 1 to practice on did f**k that up a bit but then made sure i didnt make the same mistake on the other 2 that i had to do hehe

the way i see it is if you need to post asking for instructions then chances are you will f@*k it up first go.
i see like this if you don't ask for instructions on how to do it how are you to
learn all thing need instructions m8 if you f##k it up you got to carry on and do
a nother m8 that what i think

used a gas 50 from maplin myself and lifted each side of the chip within about 30 secs each side so alot quicker with the blower than using an iron and less fidly

you shouldnt lift the side seperatley matey youll effect the the lie of the legs and the tsop. youll see what i mean when you come to the programming part and dont get id or bad erase/read/write

heat both sides 2sec 2sec etc etc you will see the solder change once your shiney lift strate up with a pair of tweezers(or equivalant) if you need and force your not desoldered carry on re heating until no force required.

i personally use iron and braid if i got some to hand if not i float them off(flood with solder)

one thing for sure if you got a 15mm tip on a 30w £9.99 iron go with the pyropen(blowtorch)

i think people hav there own methods that work for them ..
i too lift one side then the other with flux and a gas gun .hav done for sometime now ...ive never had a problem when it come to reading them in a programmer as i clean the pins first with fiber pen

i havent bent the pins i can see that and i only lifted them just off the board so that they wasnt touching i know that i havent bent any of the pins aswel as i held the chip back on the board after and they all sit luvly when i have my chip programmed and i put back on i will see if it works and also i might even do a little video of me putting my chip back on to show you all it hasnt bent the pins thanx jay you know what your doing as youve done this but my method will work im sure of it

i havent bent the pins i can see that and i only lifted them just off the board so that they wasnt touching i know that i havent bent any of the pins aswel as i held the chip back on the board after and they all sit luvly when i have my chip programmed and i put back on i will see if it works and also i might even do a little video of me putting my chip back on to show you all it hasnt bent the pins thanx jay you know what your doing as youve done this but my method will work im sure of it

lol if you used a pyro pen not 1 pad will be smooth or level so i cant comprehend how its sits so luvly ?????

im trying to save you time and trouble is all matey have you used a zif before?

tsops and desighned to be programmed out of curcuit . if you think about it your bending the compete set of 1 side of pind while its lifted that change the lie angle of the opposite side. if your legs are pointed upwards at 44degrees
mate you have a 1 degree gap between leg and board

understand what im saying?? also a 1 degree out to programmer

not to mention if you take it sideways a little also.....

it may well programme ok etcetc but you cut any risk by liftind at 90 degrees from board.

i hope you see my point and i hope it will help you.gl

Sorry to jump your thread Loady but like you I quite fancy a crack at this, question tho is what programmer/adapter do you peeps use or intend to use and where from.
Dont want spoon feeding just a few starters :)

Cheers

Sorry to jump your thread Loady but like you I quite fancy a crack at this, question tho is what programmer/adapter do you peeps use or intend to use and where from.
Dont want spoon feeding just a few starters :)
Cheers

check your pm matey

i see like this if you don't ask for instructions on how to do it how are you to
learn all thing need instructions m8 if you f##k it up you got to carry on and do
a nother m8 that what i think

i agree but what i'm saying is that if you need to post on cable forum to ask how to do it then you aint gonna get far especially when there are hundreds of guides on how to remove tsops etc on goole.

well after a few year soldering myself i think the vid link is nr barbaric.buy a solderpro 70/120 and use hotair ...lift the tsop ,,,flux pads,,,read ,,,lay back down ,,,apply heat ,,,all done.i cant see how you will get them clean on with no bridging like that.

the best thing to do is get some old boards with chips on and just pratice and just do it what ever way you find esayiest

Back