TSOP lifting tutorial.....???

very true ,,but tbh ,,you generally dont lift tsop's with an iron.the chances of mistakes and bridging plus splashes will be very high as compared to using hotair .

ok guys, im taking the plunge (as i fooked my other modem by messing with the flash lol) and getting a willem usb programmer and a solderpro 70 (which are currently half price - 20 - on maplins at the mo!) i know i just use hot air and lift chip but what i want to make sure is....

1. to lift chip what is best to use? just lift with fingers?
2. how do u clean the pins? im learning this as i read so excuse the ignorance if someone has said it already and i dont understand :)

i guess once i programmed the chip, i just solder straight back on yeh?

cheers.

personally , and that means just me , i use a magnifying headset and go over the legs if needed.i always found finding the correct flux is the key so i use flux people use on the likes of mobile phones.
i use a stanley knife and gently rest it under one end and heat slowly till one end lifts , and i mean gently , !.
when it does wait and then do the other end.then add flux to the pads and re-heat and left them flow back to how it was.
read and line the tsop back into place again using the headset to get it bang in place then on a low heat go over one end till you get it to bite.
add a tab more flux and same with the other end.
once you have this i rest the stanley knife or craft knife on one end , again drop of flux and the wieght of the knife will let it fall back in place.
DO NOT ! and i mean DO NOT ! push down when the solders heated , you will cause the solder to spread under the tsop and bridging can take place it doenst need weight.
someone will no doubt tell you different on how to do it , but like i said it works everytime for me.

Some very interesting replies there, hey madmanc...wheres my PM ;)

I know everyone going on about use the gas irons and re-flows and was calling me mad when I suggested doing it with wick

but as Iv been soldering years over 25 years To remove em I find the easiest was is with a decent temp controlled iron a descent quality soldering pump and wick.

the video at TCNISO prity much show em doing the same way I would, al be it with a much better tip and iron
http://www.tcniso.net/Nav/Video/tcn_video2_tsop48.wmv

but Iv had years of praitice with a iron.

I saw this method when i initially googled, and the guy went on to say he does far less damage to the board this way

the way i see it is if you need to post asking for instructions then chances are you will f@*k it up first go.

Do you think i am going to go straight headlong into my modem ?? i have an ample supply of deam mobos here ,thansk for your help anyway :s

i see like this if you don't ask for instructions on how to do it how are you to
learn all thing need instructions m8 if you f##k it up you got to carry on and do
a nother m8 that what i think

I make you right there.

Sorry to jump your thread Loady but like you I quite fancy a crack at this, question tho is what programmer/adapter do you peeps use or intend to use and where from.
Dont want spoon feeding just a few starters :)
Cheers

Not at all...good luck to you, this is what its all about.

well after a few year soldering myself i think the vid link is nr barbaric.buy a solderpro 70/120 and use hotair ...lift the tsop ,,,flux pads,,,read ,,,lay back down ,,,apply heat ,,,all done.i cant see how you will get them clean on with no bridging like that.
the best thing to do is get some old boards with chips on and just pratice and just do it what ever way you find esayiest

I like the sound of this method...i have a solder pro 70 and have not used the hot air blower yet....isnt it easy to melt the plastic part or damage the chip though ??

Back