3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12
Your plants look well john what ferts do you use? Also do you know what lights you have? My plants are not doing so well.

I'll check what it's called in the morning Matt, I know it's a cheapish one as I bought it on the quick just so I had some ( thought something better than nothing lol) I've read easy carbo is good

The lighting are T5 tubes

I started to suffer from a bit of hair algae that I'm trying to keep on top of now
You can see the grass looking plant ive cut all the tops off lol and I cleaned the java fern with a toothbrush to remove it
Getting there though :) and I'm really enjoying it too, the fish not the algae lol

Last edited:
a_ad_12_250.jpg
TAP Aquarium Doctor BIOFLOR
cheap but seems to be doing a pretty good job tbh

Hats of to you rats i been wanting to do an aquarium for years my mum and dad used to have 2 6ft tanks and i remember watching the fish when i was little they truly are fascinating to watch and your tanks looks well kept and very fine one indeed.

Keep the pics coming as i enjoy reading this thread and gives me a bit more knowledge about aquariums.

Thanks mate :)
I just wish I had the room for a bigger tank lol as there are so many pretty fish Id like to add

Matt this it the hair algae problem I had
it really only affected 2 plants the grass mainly but also a bit on the java fern, it seemed to go mad like that when we had the bright sun and hot days

as I said the java fern I managed to clean with a toothbrush as the plant has wide leaves and it cleaned up pretty well tbh, the grass I tried to clean a few ways but it was no use so I decided to cut the tops off, if it re grows all good if not i'll just remove and replace it

:)

Attachments

• Hair Algae.jpg
    Hair Algae.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 11
Update:

the grass never recovered lol think I $acked it too much
the java fern is looking good again :)

the hair algae is now under control, a little bit but nothing unsightly so Im happy with that :)
although Im not totally happy with all the plants Ive got so may re plant at some point

I had to take the Cherry Barbs back to shop as a few of them was nipping a certain guppys tail :((guppy in post 28), this was a week or so ago and its healing up nicely now the Barbs have gone

Ive added 2 nice Mollys today, 1 Black and 1 White :)
and 2 blue Dwarf Gourami, these along with my Ram Cichlids are my favourite fish :)

Ill get some piccys up later ;)

Have you added any bottom dwellers yet? Such as corys, these are good for keeping the keeping the substrate clean.

linky

Nice little fish and are good breeders too mate.

Last edited:
I have 3 Yamato shrimp at the moment
also have 3 Otocinclus although they are mainly stuck to the sides of tank lol sometimes they will attach to a pebble

I have already decided to get 4+ Panda Corys pretty much from day 1 :) but read many times they need a established tank, around 3 months old, so will definitely be getting some at the end of this month :)

I have 3 Yamato shrimp at the moment
also have 3 Otocinclus although they are mainly stuck to the sides of tank lol sometimes they will attach to a pebble

I have already decided to get 4+ Panda Corys pretty much from day 1 :) but read many times they need a established tank, around 3 months old, so will definitely be getting some at the end of this month :)

I added 3 peppered corys as my second addition bud so you should be fine now.

How easy are yamao shrimps to keep alive? Now im heavily planted im thinking of adding a clean up crew, i was thinking 6 ottos and either yamato shrimp or 10 cherry shrimp.

I got my shrimp when they were mid sized and they are thriving :) I decided on those ones as breeding isnt that easy with our waters, they will breed but the fry need brackish water to survive

I bought 6 ottos, 3 died so I got 3 replacements, the other of the original 3 died the next day :( but I still have the 3 replacements and they are fine :)
the thing with ottos is from what Ive read they are wild caught and they put stuff in the water to make them easier to catch, also they really only eat the algae on the glass, in shops this isnt always there and in transit
so make sure if you do get ottos get the fattest ones in the tank ;)

Dwarf Gourami I got today :)

and I got these Dwarf Cichlids a few weeks back

Beautiful Fish :Hit:

Attachments

• 4 (800 x 600).jpg
    4 (800 x 600).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 (800 x 600).jpg
    2 (800 x 600).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0566 (768 x 1024).jpg
    IMG_0566 (768 x 1024).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1 (800 x 600).jpg
    1 (800 x 600).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks mate :) I haven't looked at those tbh, I will have a little read up on them and see if they are compatible with what I have and if my water is OK for those :)

Thought id give an update on my tropical tank now its been running a good few months :)
still loving this hobby and wish Id taken it up years ago when I first took an interest

Im swaying more towards the Dwarf Cichlid fish, I just love everything about these fish

I have introduced a pair of
cockatoo cichlid
borelli cichlid
german ram cichlid these are my favorite fish, I could watch these for hours, colours are beautiful :)

few piccys of the tank

Attachments

• male female ram.JPG
    male female ram.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • male ctoo close.JPG
    male ctoo close.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • male ctoo side on.JPG
    male ctoo side on.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • ram blue.JPG
    ram blue.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • cockatoo face on.JPG
    cockatoo face on.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
is it treatable though bro, must be something on the market that treats it ? regular water changes ?

Back