Baby it's cold outside

silkstg

Reaction score
We seem to live in an environment of pre-emptive appeasement, where (well-meaning) people remove or don't do something to avoid possibly offending somebody else.
Perfect examples are the two christmas songs currently in the news.
Baby it's cold outside is currently banned from being played in some radio stations in good ol' 'merica as it has been claimed by some people to be in poor taste in this current climate what with his persistence for the lady to stay the night.
Also Fairytale of New York, where she uses the word faggot. I don't think I need to explain why this is a bad word but suffice to say it is an old but great song and even the singer from the Pogues has come out to defend his choice to use the word as an example of how bad the woman is. On another point of view she could just be calling him a dried up old fruit...
Either way, can the few people stop thinking so hard and just allow things to do what they do?
I get offended by the smell of seafood but I'm not campaigning that Tesco should remove the fish counter lest it offend my senses and neither are they looking to remove it in the hopes that people like me are more likely to come shop there. Instead I just avoid that counter when I can.
I also had a job installing some theming for an event a client was putting on last week, I was told it had to be festive but not Christmas so that it didn't alienate anyone.
Whilst I can appreciate the sentiment of including those of other faiths I have also noticed that my Muslim friends still get involved at Christmas, my Jewish wife still puts the Christmas tree up and is the one doing Santa's stockings this year, oh and she's running the Secret Santa at work. We should be offended at them performing cultural appropriation but what would the point be in that? We're all having a wonderful time.
Another one was the comedian who was booked for an event but was asked to sign a behavioural contract before performing stating that he wouldn't make any racist or sexist jokes at all. Unless you're a comedian like Michael McIntyre you make a lot of humour by toeing the line. Frankie Boyle is so famous because he truly pushes the limit on what can be said, and yes he makes a LOT of awkward comments but here's the amazing thing for people who get offended. You can turn it off!!
Anyone else got any good examples of this?

Back