Mobile Phones Transferring SMS from old Phone

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to transfer my SMS from my Samsung Soul u900 to my HTC Wildfire.

No I had a lot of SMS that were bigger than 1 SMS. The way the phone must have stored them was to save parts of an SMS on the phone memory and parts of the same message on the SIM Card.

I didn't know this and I took my SIM card initially and placed it in the HTC and moved the messages from the SIM to the phone thinking that the messages that were on the SIM card were only complete messages.

I proceeded to go back to the u900 and transfer the phone memory SMS to the SIM card and move them to the HTC.

When I went back to the U900, I realised that there were a few broken text messages. I can't move them to the SIM card as the phone says "Unable to move broken message".

I thought let me bring back the other parts of the SMS of the broken messages so that they can be joined together and move them in one go, but now the messages are broken up into individual SMS text messages and the "broken" ones that got left behind are still showing as broken and they wont join.

What can I do? I tried using my PC studio to move them to PC so at least I have a back up that way, but some messages are showing as E-SMS so I can only view them on the phone.

Anything I am overlooking?

Thanks

I think I may have just accidently stumbled upon a solution to this problem.

I just downloaded SMS Backup and Restore [free] from the android app market. It backed up my messages to an xml file on my SD card. Now, I'm guessing that I can edit the contents of that XML file so that I can include the broken texts from my old phone. If I'm lucky, when I go to restore those messages back to my inbox, the new, manually inserted messages will be there!!

Wish me luck

Looking good. Only problem i've run into so far is that in the xml/excel, the date is being stored as a 13 digit number. I have ben searching around and I believe the correct search term is: timestamp.

I believe that it's a number representing an elapsed time since the "epoch". Problem is that such numbers are meant to be 10 digits.

For example: 07/05/2010 is represented as: 1294081431101

I found a formula here: Converting UNIX Date/Time Stamps (Microsoft Excel) that I thought could help convert the long number into a date I can manipulate but it hasn't bore any fruit.

Can anyone work this out?

In the meantime I'm just gonna modify numbers of existing texts a little to suit my needs as a crude workaround

they must be some special messages them mate for the hassle your going through, hope ya get it sorted though!

I didn't import messages but I noticed Android didn't import my address book properly, putting delimiters in the new name etc.

Not sure how much leeway there is in SIMs for these things.

they must be some special messages them mate for the hassle your going through, hope ya get it sorted though!

Yeah, they hold sentimental value. Lost a lot of messages when I switched from my D500 to my U900. I've just "viewed" the edited xml in the app and it shows everything perfectly!! So all that is left is to restore the file. If it goes tits up, at least I got the messages somewhere

I didn't import messages but I noticed Android didn't import my address book properly, putting delimiters in the new name etc.

Not sure how much leeway there is in SIMs for these things.

Yeah I noticed that too mate. think it's because Android wants contacts to have a First name and a Last name and when you've imported contacts, maybe they weren't in a format that it liked

Also, I'm working off the phone memory at the moment as I just used the SIM to transport messages to and fro

I found the answer to the date issue!!

I just went to the web page of the App and found info here: How to view or edit the SMS and Call Logs backup files on a computer - Android Stuff

All I have to do is:

1. To view the date in a human understandable format, enter the following value in a new column and then copy it to all the rows: =([@date]/86400000)+25569

2. Format the cells as a date time: d/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM

Will give it a shot now :)

Back