Too Many Hobbies!

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
In just a few short months, I become an OAP and in theory, I'll have all the time in the world to follow my pastimes. In truth, I've been 'retired' for some time as I suffer badly with several illnesses which severely restrict what I'm able to do.

Anyway, to get to the point, I'm finding myself overwhelmed with hobbies which previously gave me a lot of pleasure. With having a motorised dish, I still thoroughly enjoy tuning in to all the various channels and feeds available. Recently though, I've been restoring an old Fibo dish which has been quite stressful at times with me thinking I've taken on a bit too much.

Then there's my fascination with the growing of exotic and subtropical plants. I grow a lot of stuff from seed in my electric propagator and this has led to too many plants being all over the garden, conservatory and greenhouse. There's far too many for me to cope with and I'm just totally overwhelmed.

Since a very young age, I've enjoyed watching our feathered friends and this has led to a great deal of twitching in more recent years with several friends of mine.. I've twitched from the Shetland Isles to the Isles of Scilly, Orkney, Isle of Wight, Kent, Cornwall ets etc. I've got a rare bird alert pager which, not surprisingly, alerts me when rarities have been discovered. Nowadays though, I dread it when a real mega turns up especially if it's a species I've never seen before.

In case I get timed out, I'll post this right now, just in case this doesn't get lost. TBC.

Recently, I've returned to yet another hobby, something which I had a great interest in many years ago. I'm referring to Astronomy and I've bought quite a large telescope to view the planets and deep space objects. The darn thing though, is just so heavy, particularly its tripod which I can barely pick up let alone move into the back garden. Basically, I've made a rod for my own back.

Finally, I think, is my hobby of coin collecting. This goes back to the time when my grandfather and I used to sift through bags of pennies etc, which he got from the bank, looking for any rare ones. I'm talking of a time well before decimalisation. Obviously,there's nothing too strenuous involved with this pastime and is one I'd be very reluctant to give up. There's been many a time on **** when I've won an auction, acquiring a coin maybe worth ten times what I got it for.

I don't know really why I started this thread. I know what some of you will say. Give up this, give up that. It'll be very difficult to stop any of these as I suppose my interests have become a sort of addiction.

I don't know really why I started this thread. I know what some of you will say. Give up this, give up that. It'll be very difficult to stop any of these as I suppose my interests have become a sort of addiction.

Naw, I'd just turn the bird pager off now and again and cough £30 for a stair-climber trolley to get the tripod out in the garden! Summat like this one:

Stair climber sack truck barrow trolley folding stair cart hand sack tri 200kg | eBay

Put a wee table outside the house and sell a few plants.

Relax M8 :)

Never have enough things to do - who wants spare time!

It sounds like your a busy man, and i prefer to keep my self busy, doing what i can and if i enjoy it i stick to it if it becomes a chore or starts to get boring then i let that specific hobby go and concentrate on the more important ones that mean something to me..... and if all of these mean something to you and you don't get bored of any of them them keep doing what keeps you happy mate,

Enjoy life and live it to it's fullest!!!!

Peace.

Recently got (was forced into by the Mrs) an allotment !!!!! £25 for the year including water !!!!

Great place to go hide and if you fancy you can grow veg too .. make a man cave in a shed or disused caravan
Must admit I have actually started enjoying going down there

Recently got (was forced into by the Mrs) an allotment !!!!! £25 for the year including water !!!!

Great place to go hide and if you fancy you can grow veg too .. make a man cave in a shed or disused caravan
Must admit I have actually started enjoying going down there

The wife and I had an allotment for many years but thankfully gave it up a couple of years ago.

If you give up on wanting to do all the things you want to do, it is the time that you give up on living !
Keep at anything and everything that you enjoy for as long as you can, just make sure that it does not become a chore or a strain because the hobbies are meant to be an enjoyment and by being so keeping you happy, relaxed and content.

Life does not begin at 40 - it begins at retirement - like many say "I don't know how I fitted everything in with a full time job." The difference is that I can do more or less just what I like when I like.

Even do 2 year old post clocks. Marvellous. :)

Back