Tomorrow's World to make TV comeback

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
IT wowed TV audiences with inventions that promised to transform their lives - now Tomorrow's World is back.

BBC One's controller has revealed the science show - which ran from 1965 to 2003 and was fronted by Raymond Baxter, Judith Hann and Michael Rodd, among others - is set to return.

Jay Hunt said the rebranded version would be "Tomorrow's World with a different name".

The new version is sure to give us a taste of the future - the original was famous for debuting today's must-have gadgets as well as global technology innovations such as the new NASA space shuttle.

Here are a few of the best ideas... and some which didn't catch on:

THE ELECTRON MICROSCOPE

Conventional wisdom stated you needed a magnifying lens to study minute objects, until electrons were used to illuminate them in super-fine detail in 1965.

THE PASSENGER HOVERCRAFT

Tomorrow's World was first to reveal that the amphibious crafts could be built big enough to carry passengers and replace ferries on shorter routes.

FIBRE-OPTIC CABLE

In the Sixties, it was thought only copper wire could carry phone signals - until the show revealed that, one day, they would be replaced by ultra-thin strands of light-carrying glass.

BREATHALYSERS

In 1967, original host Raymond Baxter showcased how crystals changed colour depending on how much alcohol was in your breath. Loved by police, the device was soon issued around the world.

CASH MACHINES

Two years later, On The Buses star Reg Varney became the first person to use a cash machine. Tomorrow's World explained how this "hole in the wall" would bring an end to queuing for your cash.

POCKET CALCULATORS

Calculators used to be big, bulky and expensive. But, in 1971, Clive Sinclair unveiled his smaller version on the show, correctly predicting it would be a hit.

DIGITAL WATCHES

Viewers in 1972 were intrigued to learn that technology patented two years earlier - the Liquid Crystal Display - would soon to be used in clocks and watches.

CEEFAX

It is easy to forget in these days of the internet and hundreds of TV channels that, until a few years ago, Teletext and Ceefax were the standard way to get information at the touch of a button. Tomorrow's World told us about Ceefax in 1973.

HOME COMPUTERS

It seemed very futuristic in the Seventies to suggest the wardrobesized electronic devices called computers could soon be a standard features in our homes. Tomorrow's World featured the home computer in 1977.

PERSONAL STEREOS

How else could you listen to music other than on your record player? In 1980, the show told us the answer lay in a cassette device with added headphones that was small enough to carry around.

COMPACT DISCS

The most famous invention to feature on Tomorrow's World was the CD. In 1981, the presenters proved how indestructible this medium was by smearing it with jam then playing it.

CAMCORDER

The same year, we learned that home movie making was to get a lot easier. Rather than needing a camera and a separate VCR on hand to record what you film, new cameras would be able to do both at the same time.

PHONE CARDS

Before 1981, the only way to use a payphone without a pocketful of change was to reverse the charges. Now you could carry a credit card which allowed you to make calls from special phones. It also left less money in payphones and that was aboon in the battle against vandals.

BARCODE READERS

In 1983, the show's feature on a machine which read a number coded into black and white lines might not have seemed exciting. But host Maggie Philbin predicted the technology would revolutionise the way everyone went shopping.

CLOCKWORK RADIOS

Ten years later, inventor Trevor Baylis was featured with his radio that worked using a wind-up mechanism for use in places where batteries were scarce. After the show, a South African firm put his idea into production and the radios are now sold across Africa.

AND THE DUDS ...

PAPER UNDERPANTS

In 1965, Raymond Baxter said paper undies would be big. But strangely they are yet to catch on.

THE FLOATING BICYCLE

Antonio Bonjono's 1975 idea was aimed at London commuters who would take to the Thames. The dodgy idea sank without trace.

WORMS FOR DINNER

The 1981 idea that protein-rich worms would become a staple food was to no one's taste.

THE SHEEP-SHEARING ROBOT

Eyebrows, not interest, were raised among farmers after this alarming 1984 device was shown to the world.

THE MOUSE WITH A HUMAN EAR

Tomorrow's World got a world exclusive in 1995 with pictures from the USA of an ear which had been grown from cartilage and grafted on to a mouse. The technology sounded promising, but viewers found the sight a bit more disturbing than exciting.

from DAILY RECORD

Glad to see the show make a comeback and it is nice to these these types of educational and technology programs in prime time slots on the BBC. Some of the inventions they used to show were completely wacky LOL

Such a shame that paper underpants never caught on though. The idea was genius.

can actually remember the FIBRE-OPTIC one I think unless it was a clip I saw.

all I can remember companies doing with FIBRE-OPTIC cable in the seventies was to make dodgy lights and shitty flower pictures that lit up, before they finally got there act together,

then not so long ago the dodgy lights made a comeback.

Excellent program, any idea when its coming back and what will it be called.

It was a great show then.... remember the digital watch show.

I am not so sure it will be much better than the Gadget show or Click, I guess its probably a bit of competition for the Gadet show.

when s the gadgt show on? and when is click on?

i can never catch them!!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I used to love this :)
I remember the microwave oven being on.
I thought, cooking your tea using radio waves, that'll never catch on lol

Curly

well they just "cooked" my lunch!!!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

when s the gadgt show on? and when is click on?

i can never catch them!!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

The Gadget show is on Five but I think its on a break before new series. I only watch it cos Suzi Perry is on it.
Click is usually on Saturday or Sunday on BBCNews but you can watch it on their website or on Iplayer.

thanks bud

it wont let me give u rep just now for it haha

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Excellent program, any idea when its coming back and what will it be called.

Hi
Dunno when its comming back
But you will never guess what it will be called
"TOMORROWS WORLD"

One other thing
The bit about the cash machine no more queuing?
Now we just queue at the machine in the rain or bad wheather
At least previously we were under cover in a warm bank :proud:

This was 1 of my favourite shows cant wait till its back
And just in time for the next generation cool

Hi
Dunno when its comming back
But you will never guess what it will be called
"TOMORROWS WORLD"

One other thing
The bit about the cash machine no more queuing?
Now we just queue at the machine in the rain or bad wheather
At least previously we were under cover in a warm bank :proud:

This was 1 of my favourite shows cant wait till its back
And just in time for the next generation cool

the op says it will have a different name....

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back