TM7100 twin tuner configuration help

Steve928

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a Technomate (TM7100) twin tuner configuration issue please, in particular the function of the tuner options 'both(tuner1)' and 'both(tuner2)' on the satellite and motorised setup pages? I can't find an explanation of them either in the manual or through a Google search.

My system comprises a motorised dish (USALS) connected to tuner1 and a fixed dish pointed at Astra2 on tuner2. The tuner inputs are configured as 'single' inputs as described in the manual as there are no switches etc. - each dish has a unique connection to a tuner input.

The goal is to have Astra2 available on both inputs so that I can record from different transponders simultaneously. Using the 'tuner1' and 'tuner2' inputs leaves me with only one instance of Astra2 on either tuner 1 or 2 so I lose the twin recording benefits.

I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the 'both(tunerX)' setting but I've tried them without success: if I configure Astra2 as 'both(tuner1)' on the motorized setup page then the USALS control on tuner1 stops working and refuses to position the dish to Astra2, so it's not possible to even scan the channels. If I set Astra2 to 'both(tuner2)' then the box just reboots instantly upon trying to save the change and won't store the setting..

I've managed to get the twin recording working but it is a fudge – I've configured a second Astra2 satellite by editing one of the unused sats, so my sat list now has 2 x Astra2 and 2 sets of identical channels (one on tuner1 t'other on tuner2) and I have to make sure I select the correct ones when setting the recording timer. I was hoping that there was a way to configure the system so that it would do all the thinking and use a second tuner input automatically when necessary (moving the dish if required).

Any help with what the 'both(tunerX)' settings actually do would be much appreciated.

I had A TM7100 for a long time, but set up was like twin for 13+19+23+28 east with diseqc switch from what i understand from the Tm 7100 is that Tuner 1 is the "master" Tuner
So i would guess that Tuner1 would have to be the fixed dish and Tuner2 motorised./diseqc.
I don't even have the manual any more sold my TM7100 on and went linux but The TM7100 served me well for many years.
But if no one can help you with this i can try and get it again.
Are you using a patch or official firmware and wich one?
I think both just means that both have their own feed and single means it's loopthrough with little cable provided with box.

Last edited:
Thanks both. Amazingly I've just sorted it - just taking a break and writing a forum post seems to have helped!

The correct setting for my setup is 'both(tuner1)' which must translate as 'satellite available on both tuners(but motor is on tuner 1)'
I was thrown by the fact that this setting didn't allow me to move the dish using the motorised menu's GO TO command but of course, in true Technomate software fashion, having changed the value you then have to exit and save and then go back into the menu and try again..

Now when selecting any Astra2 channel channel it uses tuner 2 (fixed dish) by default.
When a second simultanoeus channel on a different transponder on Astra2 is needed by the recording timer it moves the dish and gets it from tuner 1.

Perfect - I don't know why I ever doubted it..
Thanks again for your help (and the welcome).

I'm glad you are 'sorted out' but really come on what a specific Setup :) If i have got it right you got the motor hooked on tuner 1 and fixed astra 2 28E on tuner 2.
ANyway good it works !(DARE : well try to do this on another brand than Technomate ....)

Really - I would have thought it a fairly common setup? Brings loads of advantages like, say, being able to record BBC and Eurosport at the same time.
I've had the motorised system for years using a TM1500 and sepearte recorder and recently added a dedicated fixed dish for the Vierra TV. Just seemed logical to bring the feeds together via a twin tuner PVR.

Anyway, working fine with odd glitch, like if you set an Astra2 channel recording then try to view another channel using the up/down buttons it doesn't work. You have to select the second channel via the SAT or FAV buttons which then selects the other tuner and swings the dish.
All good fun - which is half the idea!

Back