TM6900HD Super Power on probs

holmroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting this thread because I've only recently discovered that my trusty TM6900HD Super (Using Patch 742P) is displaying a totally new problem for me when I first power up from its usual 'standby' position, e.g. first switch on of new day!
Say I last viewed BBC1 HD on 28E before switching off to standby last night, I now find that despite having 85-92% signal (all green healthy display) when last on, I now have a zero signal (small red indication) - and if I power off/on again from remote it still comes back the same!
I try to move to another satellite which the display states thet it is as usual!
So I am now on RTL4 19E 'allegedly', yet still with zero signal, so I select 1W on 'Satellites' and pop out to see if dish is moving (I use USALS with my motirised system) - but it does NOT physically move even though the display on front of TM panel states it is - so I think oh dear!
I then switch off at BACK, after first retuning satellites back to original position at 28E (BBC1 HD), give it a minute or two 'off', switch back on again - and lo & behold the signal is back to the full green level and it is now again operating normally!
I can also move round satellites, the positioner working normally again now and alls fine, until it switch off to standby and leave receiver for a few hours, when the whole of above starts again with no signal!
Maybe Digidude could reply to this with his experiences of Techonate repairs etc - or anyone please - so suppose I'm actually asking whether this could be hardware or even software (patch 742P) problems?:Doc:

Could be lnb related.

Fair point mate, but when its working there';s no prob with LNB, so why only after powering off does it happen?
Anyway, I've now loaded patch 741P as suggested elsewhere, but after switching off its again lost the signal - and the only way to correct it is to switch off/on at back after waiting a few minutes - presumably for it to cool down>
Maybe I'll now have to try leaving it switched on ALL the time, see where that gets me?:Cry:

Hi holmroad – Sorry to say his, but I think you may have another Power supply problem. If as you say you get zero signal – I would suggest that there is no power going to the Lnb, or rotator. When the fault is apparent, is it possible for you to disconnect the coax at the Rx and check to see if you have at least 15volts coming out of the Rx. If so then you have a coax fault, otherwise a power supply failure in the Receiver.

did you try all this m8

1) back up channel list
2) factory reset
3) load Patch726p or Patch737p
4) factory reset
5) put back channellist

try that m8 if it work ok it is the patch, if it dont you have problems

Hi holmroad – Sorry to say his, but I think you may have another Power supply problem. If as you say you get zero signal – I would suggest that there is no power going to the Lnb, or rotator. When the fault is apparent, is it possible for you to disconnect the coax at the Rx and check to see if you have at least 15volts coming out of the Rx. If so then you have a coax fault, otherwise a power supply failure in the Receiver.

I cant do all that mate, not up to it OR got the relevant gear, but agree with you anyway, so assume some more caps/pots may have bulged and need replacing as happebed a few months ago when I lost both USB's - until replaced three faulty caps that is - been ok again since, until NOW!!!:Cry:

did you try all this m8

1) back up channel list
2) factory reset
3) load Patch726p or Patch737p
4) factory reset
5) put back channellist

try that m8 if it work ok it is the patch, if it dont you have problems

Did all that mate, except loaded patch 741P as another friend suggested, but fault didnt go away!
Do you think its really worth trying 737P now after all that?
As you know patch 726P wont open my Cccam server!:Cry:

The combination of your symptoms of rotator failure, AND No Signal indication, indicate to me a loss of voltage at the dish. This can only be due to a Rx power fault or coax cable fault. Is it possible that when switching the power off at the rear of the Rx, you disturb the antenna connection to the rx, thereby correcting a fault in the coax connection ?. The first thing I would do would be to check carefully and remake the Antenna connection to ensure there are no intermittant shorts or breaks in the coax cable connection.

Not sure where antenna lead enters Technomate mate - is thar what you mean?:salute:

He means the f connector connecting receiver to dish/motor setup. I would check coax cable/connections as most likely fault. Also depending on where coax is run, I'd suspect water ingress at some point? If replacing coax change to ct100 spec cable (triax tx100, webro wt100, etc, etc). Upgrading coax may also gain you a few extra transponders from sats as losses are less and intereference from external sources is reduced. If coax is good I'd try swapping lnb as it may be failing to switch between low/high or H/V not always but intermitantly. If you have access to a decent meter you can quickly determine if coax or lnb is the issue, then you can start looking at stb issues.

if I was you I would have a nother go m8

I went back to 737P as you suggested mate, but problem still there after powering off and rebooting!
However I did try 'feeling' blindly for cables etc around the power cable plus on/off switch at back - and when I started again the signal now seems to be back properly again even after powering off to standby - so maybe I've disturbed something which was 'half in half out'? It still doesnt really make sense to me though, because just say the power cable wasnt in properly, then the remainder of the TM6900HD Super shouldnt work either, unless of course the dish/LNB is more sensitive than other more basic functions?
Will pull my whole system out later because at present I cant see what I'm doing! Printed off back of receiver from manual & only power & on/off switch near to that end (left hand end from FRONT!) so no connections to dish/LNB at that end!::Wave:

He means the f connector connecting receiver to dish/motor setup. I would check coax cable/connections as most likely fault. Also depending on where coax is run, I'd suspect water ingress at some point? If replacing coax change to ct100 spec cable (triax tx100, webro wt100, etc, etc). Upgrading coax may also gain you a few extra transponders from sats as losses are less and intereference from external sources is reduced. If coax is good I'd try swapping lnb as it may be failing to switch between low/high or H/V not always but intermitantly. If you have access to a decent meter you can quickly determine if coax or lnb is the issue, then you can start looking at stb issues.

I'll investigate all that mate because it is true my cabling is now quite old after several years use - you and Gwyn have been most helpful thanks again guys, much appreciated!!

:littleang

I do have a spare coil of Tower sat cable I got from B & Q - is that any good please?:Drums:

The power for your LNB and Rotator go up the signal coax, so if there is a break or bad connection in the F connector or feed coax, No power would be sent to the LNB OR Rotator giving a No Signal report and no movement of the Dish. The power in the STB would not be affected

Only use ct100 spec cable with copper braid and foil. The higher the frequency of the signal means the greater is the attenuation of the signal through the coaxial cable. IF (intermediate frequency) range used by satellite looses approx 20 -30db/100m on ct100 cable, rg6 is similar however the constuction of ct100 spec cable will result in less external interference due to the copper braid and foil and the foam dielectric will keep the copper core concentric to the outer screen to facilitate bends in the cable. Keep a nice sweeping radius on bends, never form a bend with less than a 40mm radius, never kink a cable. Always use the correct sized cable clips to prevent any deformation to the cable. Look for CAI benchmarked cable. The cable quality can make all the difference to whether you can receive those elusive transponders from those far off sats that lyngsat informs you that you are just outside the footprint! If you look at commercial IRS systems using a quattro lnb you will often see that CT125 spec cable is used to transfer signals from the dish to multiswitch, as professional installers understand the impact of cable attenuation at IF frequencies. Cable quality and installation is a crucial factor in the performance of any signal transfer. People tend to concentrate on dish size and lnb quality and ignore cable quality.

Thanks for your replies guys, but as I can't find out to which spec the Tower cable is, either on here or elsewhere, do I assume you are all saying that its spec is unikely to be adequate for purpose in THIS particular situation please?:Dunce:

Had a total re-organise of my system yesterday as had to pull out the cabinets in lounge it all sits on/in - and found the coax sat cable actually feeding into Technomate TM6900HD Super wasn't any longer properley assembled, I tightened the silver clamp at end of cable - and touch wood the signal stays constantly green now, so maybe it WAS as simple as that all the time!
Thanks again fellows - much appreciated!:drink:

Back