tegra 2 tablets and hd mkv playback

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
im looking at getting another tab,had a acer iconia in the middle of last year and the video playback was shocking for hd stuff-wanted it for watching my downloaded tv in bed-anyways i fancied a galaxy tab-only to find it has a bloody tegra 2 chip aswell,but after a bit of googling it appears mx player released an update that enables hardware decoding on tegra 2 chipsets,and that this allows decent playback of downloaded hd stuff

i was just wondering if anybody here had tried it or had any experiance of it,mate of mine swears by his ipad 2 for hd stuff the ipad 2 is only 40 quid more for similar spec than the galaxy tab,but i just dont think i can bring myself to own an apple product,but from what i understand xbmc on a jailbroken ipad1/2 is the dogs danglies but ive had zero personal experiance with this so i dunno

if the hd mkv on the tab has been sorted then its no contest for me,but random posts on various forums tell me nothing really,but some feedback from folk ive know for a few year would hold a lot more value(even if the majority of you are only virtual )

i will give it ago on my galaxy tab 10.1 today and let you know.

tried a 2gb 720p episode of top gear.

it was unwatchable. very jerky and the sound quickly went out of sync.

going to try playing with some settings on it, see if i can get a better result

edit: nope no different, no matter what settings are used

Last edited:
i've got the acer a500 and have only had a few mkv files that wouldn't play the rest play fine with rockplayer, will try the mx to see if any difference.

Using an advent vega with rockplayer in software mode and 720p and smaller 1080p files play back fine.

TBH, with 1024x600 or 1280x800 display and only a 10" screen there is absolutely no point in playing back anything higher then 720p unless you are connecting to an external display.

Also should note that my mate says 8GB 1080p files play back fine on the transformer with native player.

Also when connected to external display do the tablets actually output 1080p or their own resolution ?

thanks for the feedback guys,cant believe it still not playing right,love to know what your doing diferently to me manse,when i had the a500 i tried every player out there and not 1 played a downloaded mkv file properly-i thought the galaxy tab would be better as i had a galaxy s that seemed to play mkvs pretty well.

1080 files aint an issue as its a 9 inch screen hardly need full hd,but i download a lot of us crime dramas and such,the hd are 720p by default,i had read that mx player had released a codec specifically tegra 2 in november which sorted playback for most formats

may have to pop my head in the apple section and see if xbmc on jailbroken pad is any cop then
(i feel sick now)

thanks for the feedback guys,cant believe it still not playing right,love to know what your doing diferently to me manse,when i had the a500 i tried every player out there and not 1 played a downloaded mkv file properly-i thought the galaxy tab would be better as i had a galaxy s that seemed to play mkvs pretty well.

1080 files aint an issue as its a 9 inch screen hardly need full hd,but i download a lot of us crime dramas and such,the hd are 720p by default,i had read that mx player had released a codec specifically tegra 2 in november which sorted playback for most formats

may have to pop my head in the apple section and see if xbmc on jailbroken pad is any cop then
(i feel sick now)

You should definitely be able to play 720p on a dual core CPU with rock player with software decode option.

tried rock player, and it had the worst performance out of the ones suggested

Back