stuck on 'updating'

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
thye bairn hasnt used his xbox for ages since he got his 360,well anyways i went to put it in the youngests room as he's starting to like computers now but when i turn it on it's stuck on the green screen saying something about trying to connect to xbox live to update and cant get it to play any games?

any ideas anyone?

anyone??? or is it bin time?

Is the xbox modified?

It sounds as if it has tried to update the xbox dashboard from a game, and the game has been removed before the update has finished. Try and use all the games that have been put in the drive recently

Being from this forum mate there is also the possibility of downloaded from "somewhere" the origonal bios, and manually flashing it on, or failing that modify it with your own bios (or rather something like X3 etc)

If you havent already it certainly is a good idea to mod it (especially if its now out of warranty) If im right the chips etc have crashed in price and once done your young lad can learn a lot more from using a modded one as well as still enjoying his games (and if you pop in a bigger drive you can copy all his games onto it)

These are just some possibilities, as for a current solution, trying all the games that have been in recently is about the most sensible thing Ive heard (or can think of)

it's softmodded lads and i think looking at it the bairn has went to the xbox live bit on the menu and done something on there

it's softmodded lads and i think looking at it the bairn has went to the xbox live bit on the menu and done something on there

What I would do first is take a copy of the eeprom and drive key, then re-install the drive using a PC using a clean dashboard

Alternatively take a copy of the eeprom and drive key and then re-install the dashboard with slayers or something similar. You will have to re-softmod the box

If anything goes wrong, if you have a copy of the eeprom etc you can always rebuild the drive

What I would do first is take a copy of the eeprom and drive key, then re-install the drive using a PC using a clean dashboard

Alternatively take a copy of the eeprom and drive key and then re-install the dashboard with slayers or something similar. You will have to re-softmod the box

If anything goes wrong, if you have a copy of the eeprom etc you can always rebuild the drive

is there any idiot guides for that purity m8 lol.

i softmodded my brothers old one at the same time and his still works,would it be possible to sort of hook his HDD up to the desktop and totally copy the full HDD onto mine?

is there any idiot guides for that purity m8 lol.

i softmodded my brothers old one at the same time and his still works,would it be possible to sort of hook his HDD up to the desktop and totally copy the full HDD onto mine?

what dashboard do you have installed? Evolution-X? Unleash-X?

Can you still boot original games if the game is in the drive when you power the console on?

If you can, you could run the softmod expolit and then save a copy of the Eeprom to the E drive (it's one of the options). Then you could ftp to the box. Retrieve the eeprom and drive key etc and then try and re-install the dashboard using slayers bootdisk. If anything goes wrong and you have the drive key and eeprom you can always re-build the drive from scratch. It's always the first thing i do before messing about :)

i think it was evolution-x m8 and it wont boot any games now just straight to the 'xbox live is updating your system message'.

would if i actually connected to the internet so it can try would that help it all?

i think it was evolution-x m8 and it wont boot any games now just straight to the 'xbox live is updating your system message'.

would if i actually connected to the internet so it can try would that help it all?

you've got two options if it wont boot anything:

1 install modchip
2 use hotswap method to recover drive

pm sent

i seem to be getting an error using the hot swop method.

every thing seems to be going well then it just sticks on the screen,(see attatched pics) lest it for about 5 mins and still stuck on the same bit,not asking me to log in...if you know what i mean lol

i seem to be getting an error using the hot swop method.

every thing seems to be going well then it just sticks on the screen,(see attatched pics) lest it for about 5 mins and still stuck on the same bit,not asking me to log in...if you know what i mean lol

Not sure why it's sticking. I would suggest disconnecting everything, only leaving the DVD drive and xbox hd.

Have you got another PC you could try it on?

i could use the one at mams but thats vista,would that make a difference?

Where do you live?

The OS on the PC makes no difference because you boot from a Linux CD.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

live in south shields m8 not far from newcastle.

i did but what i've just found out is that the dvd drive and HDD needs to be on the same ide cable,where as i just had the HDD in the master socket of the HDD ide and the 2 dvd writers on their normal ide,you think that could have caused it?

live in south shields m8 not far from newcastle.

i did but what i've just found out is that the dvd drive and HDD needs to be on the same ide cable,where as i just had the HDD in the master socket of the HDD ide and the 2 dvd writers on their normal ide,you think that could have caused it?

The best setup is the xbox hd on one channel and the PC DVD Rom on the other channel, and nothing else connected

well i've tries always to get it to go,different ide leads/channels still nowt

so it looks like a chip is the only way out,is there a chip out that deoesnt need soldered?

well i've tries always to get it to go,different ide leads/channels still nowt

so it looks like a chip is the only way out,is there a chip out that deoesnt need soldered?

You can flash the TSOP of the Xbox instead of buying a modchip. You need to bridge a few points together before flashing it.

Alternatively you could install a modchip. It looks like then Xecuter 2.6 CE Mod Chip & Xapter is fairly easy to install and is solderless

Back