Mobile Phones Stolen Phone

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
My brother had his smart phone snatched by a "biker" whilst answering a call, although he gave chase the biker was just too fast.
As soon as my brother got home he phoned his network provider to block the phone (IMEI) and sim card.

So there is a couple of things I'm puzzled about.

1) With so many laptops/phones/tablets stolen why isn't there more GPS tracker apps/software available like Find my iPhone?
2) If the GPS was not turned on could it be turned on by his network provider?
3) What use is a phone if it is locked and blocked apart from using it for spare parts?
4) I've been told that some blocked/network barred phones work abroad but the network providers either run networks in other countries or have partnerships, so how can a blocked/network barred phone still work?

I use lookout on HTC one. I'm not sure if GPS can be remotely turned on. Phone is useless in the UK once blocked but can be used abroad, but I did read somewhere a while ago that a UK blocked phone will only work outside of Europe but can't find to confirm now

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Will the police act on the info provided?
i.e. the tracker locates your phone to a well known unsavoury address - as you are not going to knock on the door and ask for your phone back.

They will act but only as a formality. If they go to the address , all they can do is ask if they have the phone & if they say no its the end of their involvement. You may be luckier than I was. The police tend to let mobile phone companies do any investigation (but they would probably only chase up a phone thats on contract that's not being paid for).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Not being funny but thieves/burglars are not going to say Yes are they? They are dishonest people!

Not having a go at you but it's not worth having this software if the police can't use it to catch criminals and I can't see the phone companies helping you out. If I'm on a contract I have to pay a set amount every month until the contract expires, it not the phone company fault I've lost my phone or had it stolen.

I had a phone stolen 10 years ago, I phone them (Orange) up, got them to block the phone and the sim card, they sent me out a new sim card and charge me for it. I did not have insurance, so a new phone came out of my pocket and not theirs.

the app that Buzzer said prey is available for windows laptop/netbooks and depending on the level you set you can set it so it keeps putting an annoying window up saying this netbook is stolen and a siren noise, at a higher level you can select it to wipe all data.

Back