some help needed please

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
right i have installed this raid mobo and it was the mobo and not memory as it fires up ok now and both sticks of ram are ok but this is the first time i have fitted a raid mobo did not think it would be any more differant than a ide one but i can not get it detect my hard drive it does detect the dvd rom and cd writer so i swoped the ide cables around thinking that if it detects the 2 drives on the channel it will if i swop the ide cable over the detect the hard drive and cd rom on that cable but same problem did not detect hard drive or cd rom i can not get to use the install disk as i can not get it to run in this state i can get in to bios any ideas

its a built in controller m8 i have all 4 drives found now but can not boot into windows get to the do you want to go to safe mode screen etc but no responce if i try to use to keyboard to change option to normal etc the counts down to start in normal mode then a blue screen flashes up for a nano second then the system reboots and repeats the cycle over and over again i am sure i need to run the setup disk to install the mobo but dont see how unless i can get into windows ???????? open to any ideas

damage windows will see this as a harware change you will no doubt need to reinstall windows even though is on your c drive

i don't think i can boot up and install from the xp disk as can not run the cd rom drives so i will need to format with floppy does xp home need its own start up disk or can a 98 starup disk be used

damage silly question but is the IDE interface switched on in the bios ?

damage xp will boot from the disc if you set one of the cds to boot from it will ask you if you want to format etc just use the reinstal and then when (and if you want sp2) GIVE ME A SHOUT

ide interface is on in bios hard drive and other 3 drives all found i have set the cd rom to be first boot device but just does a search for boot record from the xp disk thats in the drive gives me no option to to format or anything just goes back to the do you want to startup in safe mode screen and any key press has no effect

dunno m8 its a legit copy of xp home i got with the system from new pre-installed on the system it says in the manual that to install xp just insert the disc in the drive so i would say its should boot from it. it gets to the bit where it says boot from cd then say searching for boot recold then just goes to the black do you want to go to save mode screen then just reboots .

is the cd rom atapi ??
make sure u set up in bios first boot cd rom
second hdd0
it will post then ask if u want to boot from cd
press any key
then it will load u the needed files
do a format of hdd
(only connect 1 hdd up )
get this working then set up ur raid
u will need to install raid drivers off ur mainboard cd

it is a pain but worth it

do u want the raid just as added hdd's??

i do get the press any key to boot from cd but it does not boot up from cd i have even disabled hd in bios and just had cd rom enabled but still will not boot from cd i just stuck a old drive in with 98se on it and i got it as far as safe mode as i did not install all the drivers david i have 2 dvd rom drives and 1 cd rom i am not sure if they are all atapi m8 but have tried to boot off all 3 its the press any key that seems to be the problem to get it to boot from cd as there is no responce to the key press and i know the keyboard is connected ok as i use it on the bios setup not to bothered about the raid at the moment just want to get the ide side working lol

what keyboard have u got
cordless
usb
that may be the problem
use an old ps2 keyboard

i have usb one but i can connect a old ps2 one and try but it was working on the usb one in bios ok ? but open to all ideas lol

that was it m8 lol needed the ps2 keyboard do you think a clean install of windows is the way to go m8 as i never had a chance to save all the data i wanted before my crash but i guess i know the answer lol

Back