some advice about setting up a wireless connection to internet

geoffthechef

DW Member +
Reaction score
i am about to get broadbandand have a hp compaq nx9010 laptop and it has builtin wireless networking the thing is i want to sit here or therewith no wires so i want to set up a straight to the br0adband connection wirelessly from my laptop how do i do it and what do i need on a limited buget regards geoff

is it bluetooth? if so just get another adapter and put it in the usb port on the back of the modem you get and run the network setup wizard

If u r running the inernet access form a main PC just stick a wireless network card it that and setup network settings as normal

should cost about £20 altogether.

daing will that allow both PCs to access the net ? if not geoff You'll need a wireless router m8, to save money you could hard wire it to your main pc and use the wireless capabilites for the laptop (this is how i have mine setup) don't know what budget you've got m8 but i use THIS It's excellent for the money, it's 54g might be worth checking if the built in wireless is 54mbs or 11mbs as the 11b router is cheaper, having said that the 54g is the latest technology and is backward compatible with 11b equipment

thats the one i use bronto its great in fact im currently in the sitting room watching tv and surfing at the same time geoff you will not go wrong with the lynksys but you will also need an ethernet bb modem the usb on is no good for this bb sharing method

trigger2204, you said somthing about bluetooth network. I have couple of comps and one laptop on a router. Is there anyway i can connect a bluetooth on one comp and the other on the laptop, so i dont have to run a long wire accross the house.

If that makes sense lol :)

@ rickparmar

I'll gladly stand corrected m8, but I think your router would have to be bluetooth compatible, and if you did as trigger says and put bluetooth adapters in your pc's you would be able to network the PC's together but not be able to share the internet connection you need a router to share the broardband connection, with mine i can connect 5 wireless pc's to one broardband connection :)

i use the same as bronto and allroad :)

not a minutes bother with it, and was easy to setup

i dont have a router - just a PC with adsl modem which obviously has the internet connection.
Then i have two PCs running of it on hardwired LAN and two more with wireless LAN , all sharing the internet connection.
A router is just a hardware equivalent of Internet Connection Sharing.

i thought the main purpose of a router was to enable sharing of a single internet connection between several PC's.
It may be a firewall aswell but thats secondary isnt it?
Its like saying a fridge is a handy place to put trays ontop of :) it may well be, but its not its primary function.
And as the original post stated he had a limited budget i was trying to offer the cheapest way of sharing internet access - -why buy a hardware router when ICS and a decent, freely available software firewall proggy can do the same job?

one main advantage of a router is all pc's connect to the net independently ie: i can have the main pc powered off but still access the net with the lap top or visa versa, with a LAN card i assume if the main computer (the one with the LAN card fitted) is off then none of the other pc's can connect to the net ? also as tango man says routers have a hardware firewall as opposed to a software one (norton etc) and if on is virtually impossible for hackers to breach, as some of you know i had problems allowing peeps to play games on my machine as a server untill i open specific ports on the router :)

sorry no answers to the questions the board would not let me in for hours last night it said busy try later.well the laptop is always used in the living room and the computer which i now never use is up stairs i was looking for a way for me to sit here and access the b.b wirelessly which wiill also be in the living room i have a 1394 connection (whatever that is) and a wl 1000 air-link 22mbps card it says high speed wireless broadband pcmicia cardbus ..as you can see my knowqledge of networking of computers is very basic indeed i want to sit here and go online using my laptop i think there are a few other ports i can use as well i think this laptop has built in wi-fi if any one can make sense of all this your doing better than me regards geoff

is there any things i should look out for ie one that will go with this laptop and what speed ect regards geoff

the laptop will either have a 802.11b or a 802.11g industry standard wireless capbabilities, basicaly the 802.11b has an 11mb/second transfere speed and the newer 802.11g has a 54mb/second transfere speed, if the laptop has 802.11b capabilities you could buy either a 802.11b or a 802.11g router as the 802.11g is backward compatible, if the laptop has the 802.11g standard you would have to buy a 802.11g router, personally i would buy one with 802.11g wireless as you may want to upgrade the laptop at a later date and also you know that the 802.11g will work with any setup, hope this helps m8 :)

thanks for that picture in my head is a lot clearer now im sure i willreturn to this thread shortly ie when i get it thanks geoff

seems a bit baffeling at first I know Geoff but it's really not that bad, anway feel free to give me a shout when you get your kit sorted, i'm sure we'll have you up and running no problem :)

whats the distance on bluetooth ?

would not a WI FI card be better (wireless NIC) i am about to go on this venture aswell soon but i think you can only get a few meters out of bluetooth (not sure though) with wi fi it must be more and you can get higher bandwidth i am sure ?

all depends on what your doing but could someone tell me the differences ?

Mickie

Mickie D said:
whats the distance on bluetooth ?

Obviously every model will differ slightly mickie but a rough guide is bluetooth is about 10m and wireless (802.11g) is about 30m you can go further but you will start to loose transfere speeds, I know with the wi-fi you can add access points that allow you to go further while keeping optimal connection, i'm not to sure if you can extend the distance of bluetooth though. :)

Mickie D said:
would not a WI FI card be better (wireless NIC) i am about to go on this venture aswell soon but i think you can only get a few meters out of bluetooth (not sure though) with wi fi it must be more and you can get higher bandwidth i am sure ?

As i said earlier in this thread m8, if your starting from scratch i'd go for a wireless router, it is a bit more expensive but gives you more options/features and is more flexible than a wireless NIC, thats only my opinion of course m8, hope it helps :)

Back