Solo2 Jtag

Then you can simply forget about spare and ecc via jatag.You can check if cpu doing automatically or not only if you remove and read the spare with external programmer.Now you have only one chance , search inside saved dump for "UBI#" without "" but from end of dump (because the beginning was altered) If you find several time then the byte order it's OK, if you find "#IBU" then you have to swap bytes inside bootloader and probably will work.I don't have other idea with jtag.

Then you can simply forget about spare and ecc via jatag.You can check if cpu doing automatically or not only if you remove and read the spare with external programmer.Now you have only one chance , search inside saved dump for "UBI#" without "" but from end of dump (because the beginning was altered) If you find several time then the byte order it's OK, if you find "#IBU" then you have to swap bytes inside bootloader and probably will work.I don't have other idea with jtag.
I found several #ibu entries. (Lower case, if that makes any difference?)
Could you please explain what I need to do to swap the bytes in the bootloader?

Last edited:
No, must be upper case and must be a lot, most case at beginning of sector start. And you don't find any "UBI#"???

I just fixed my friend solo2, I don't have CY7C68013A so I made a nand flash programmer with pic18f. After read out the flash I understand the tbomb firmware erased from 0-0x400000h and programmed some random data to spare.The bootloader used was vusolo2-flash_by_jtag.zip found on the net,but attention the bytes must be swapped and ECC must be calculated if you are using external programmer.Maybe if you are using jtag programmer you don't have, because the CPU automatically write ECC after sector write.So I downloaded vusolo2-flash_by_jtag.zip inside found vusolo2-flash by jtag.bin, removed extra part from 0x400000, programmed the flash, updated the spare with good ecc, put back the flash to solo2, power on and "Starting.."-on display, powered off, put a new firmware on the usb, re-flashed with good firmware and thats all.

I've read your solution several times, am not new in this field, but I'm with some missing information.
So sorry to bother you with it, but what I wonder,
1 which, fault symptom you had.
2 programmer with pic18f, which plan did you use.
3 After read out the flash ... how, via SDA / SCL pins, other pins, straight from the nand chip or external.
4 extra part removed from 0x400000, programmed the flash ... how uploaded via the SDA / SCL pins, or externally with a reader / writer.

Sorry for confusion
1.Do nothing (No serial,no display,just the blue power button)
2.Pic18f as external nand flash(K9F2G08U0C) programmer
3.External readout (unsoldered) with my improvised pic programmer.
4.Externally

Ah, okay so you have the nand chip removed and in fact fixed with a nand chip reader/writer.
Yes it is familiar to me, I have the TNM 2000+ Universal Programmer with which I do this.
Thanks for the clarification, it is for me now understandable.
Thanks also for the explanation of the copy of the chip, very instructive.
It gave me clarity why a copy was not working on a new nand chip.

Last edited:
I have another Solo2 box to try and fix in addition to my own and I'm hoping someone can help me out a bit.
This has already had the flash chip changed, a Toshiba TC58NVG3S3ETA00, which differs slightly from the TC58NVG1S3ETA00 that the Chinese seem to be sending out as a replacement. This chip was bought from Aliexpress as a Solo2 flash replacement, but I cannot find the correct xml file relevant to this chip for the BBS software.
Needless to say, this box will not boot and at the moment BBS returns an error message: Maker ID returned from flash: FF does not match. I've tried creating an xml file using the NVG1S3 file as a template, changing the ID name, but it's not worked.

Can anyone assist please?

Edit - scratch that. On closer inspection of the chip it is actually a TC58NVG0S3ETA00. (The markings on the chip are very hard to read!)
I believe that this chip is not suitable as it is only a 1Gbit, whereas the original Samsung is 2Gbit.
Can anyone confirm this please?

Last edited:
Yes,it's seems to be only 1G(128M) flash.The addressing it's a litte different: the 2G needs 5 commands(column,column,row,row,row) and the 1G and lower size flash needs 4 commands (column,column,row,row).
The chip ident command it's same for both type,and the answer for toshiba 1G: marker=98h device=D1h,the answer for K9F2G08U0C: marker=ECh device=DAh.In your case if returning FFh probably not soldered well or defective flash or unknown problem :)

I have a question too, maybe someone know the answer, how can detect the nand addressing length by the cpu at boot time (automatically with probes or jumper settings)????
Somebody have the documentation for BCM7356??

BCM7356? I thought the Solo2 had BCM7346???

If the Solo2 has BCM7356 and not BCM7346, could this be why the BBS is not recovering the NAND flash?
My BBS software only has BCM97346.msi, and I would assume I would need BCM97356.msi.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Is this correct?
Is not correct! BCM97346.msi - for Solo2 processor.
BCM97346.msi and programs and reads the flash.
After comparing the files are identical.
The problem is not in the ECC. The problem is that we need another boot loader.
The Chinese need to ask. Or maybe someone from the users will read your flash.

Last edited:
I have sunray vu + solo 2 killed with bomb attack, it is possible to recover it without welding?

how did you manage to brick it???
I asked him that in the thread he started here. He did whilst manually inputting IP, dns, etc on Helios 16.

I've used this image on my sunray solo2 (v2) clone without a problem so for v2 clones I know it's not the Helios 16 that caused it on it's own.

What images had been installed before Helios? If Helios was 100% safe, the timebomb may have been applied by a previous image. That's what happened to my box.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

@tibi67, I have a flash chip that came from my Solo2, which has been rendered unusable by the TB process. As I have no means to experiment with it with an external programmer, would you be able to look at it for me if I posted it to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that the Jtag method worked on my dragonworth solo2 that got bricked with the time-bomb. I ran into two problems on the way, firstly Broadband studio wouldn't detect that is was connected using Windows 8 64bit, so I got my old Windows XP 32bit to run the program and it connected immediately. Secondly the program complained about bad starting sector when I tried to flash it. I chose the flash K9F1G08U0A like the PDF help file said, that might have been the problem, I dont know. I changed it to K9F1G08U0C because that is the number on my flash chip, made a full erase and tried again, and it worked like a charm.

I used soleros files from here: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/download-vu-clone-images-653/402721-download-jtag-vu-solo2.html - :)
and the Cypress CY7C68013A board, with the "jumper" removed.

I will be trying all images now to see which will work and which dont, and even hoping for it to brick so I can try flashing again. But I would like advice on one thing if anyone knows: Will the new images make any changes to other parts of my receiver, like the front panel processor or FPGA, or any changes that are not possible to revert from? Will I always be able to Jtag and go back to my safe images even if I try the brand new ones and get it bricked?

solo2jtag.jpg

I had the same issue as you, and while BBS successfully erased and reflashed the NAND chip, my box would not boot until I replaced the chip.
Naturally I am not keen to repeat the process so I have not loaded another image, sticking to the Blackhole 2.0.9 that came preprogrammed on the replacement chip. Interestingly, the Chinese supplier advised me to obtain images only from www.vuplus-downloads.org rather than VU+ and X Website --- Home as originally stated. Unfortunately on www.vuplus-downloads.org there are only 3 images available, and they're all crap! It seems that VU+ and X Website --- Home is only for Lonrinsun boxes.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Back