sky bb unlimited

Nield5437

Banned
Reaction score
ive been with sky for about 3 weeks now and aprently my line only suports 4mb <.<
ive had a word with a nighbour a who with sky and cheked his router (guy nextdoor) and hes synced @ 10mb on his package and to the other side i got 1 on be bb and hes geting 16mb
ive phone sky and asked but i just seem to be geting phob off not being much help

any one any sugestions an i cant play my online games with the verry high lag witch is geting anoying :(

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4093 kbps 796 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 12 db
Noise Margin 8 db 16 db

hi mate what package are you actually paying for, i have been with sky for over two years and am on the 8mb service and when i first got it it would only hadle four meg and when i rang them i were getting phobed off like you are, i manage to fix the problem by reconfigering the line within my house, my question is is the router plugged into the main socket of the house where the main telephone line comes in??

ime paying for unlimited and ive moved the router off my extentions and its just pluged in to the test socket with the same results

hello mate, i recently had the very same problem, i have the unlimited bb with sky but was told by sky customer services that my line could only get 6mb due to the distance from my exchange, i told them that was bullsh*t as i am only 50 yards away...

i requested sky bb helpline and got through to a very helpfull asisstant and i explained my problem,

she the ran a few tests and told me you are now getting 11 mb but continued to try and better this, after 5 minutes she had it up to 17mb, i was really pleased to finally talk to a member of sky who actually gave a f*ck about its customers...

i still receive 17mb and sometimes a bit more when its off peak...

i was with vm for quite some time on their 20 mb bb but because of an overloaded server problem in my area i was only getting 4 mb.....

they said they couldn't see it rectified in the forseable future....

thats when i left....

hope this sheds some light....

Call the Sky Broadband team, 08442 410 515 (UK),

not sure why your lagging, im only on the freebie 2mb and online gaming is fine for me! i havent upgraded package as sky also told me i can only get 4mb, and just lately i wouldnt even go over the 2gb monthly allowance

I had a simular problem with O2. If its Sky's equipment in the exchange then keep moaning at them and say you've checked your mates line and it loads better than yours. If on the other hand its leased get onto them to contact BT.

This is where the process falls flat on its feet, BT have 2 records for minimum sync speed one is as old as the hills and kept with phone support the other is kept with second line support - the second being more up to date.

When I contacted my ISP they were telling me I should be connecting at about 1 meg when I knew full well then I should get to 6 meg as I had that previously. When I eventually got through to second line they told me that the firts lines data is out of date and my minimal connection should be 5 which it wasnt so there was a problem. BT cam out and fixed it - I now sync at 7.5 meg.

They have an agreement if you can prove your minimal line sync is x amount and your connecting at y you can break contract as its not up to the minimal speed - just keep hounding them...

ime paying for unlimited and ive moved the router off my extentions and its just pluged in to the test socket with the same results

What I found that worked for me with regards to SLy was to call up and ask for my upload speed to be raised. I would synch up at and download for the first month at 12MB but then it started to drop, drop, drop & when I called up they would tell me that my line could only support 6 MB (The local exchange is LLU & I am less than 1 mile phone line distance away). Oh, and I HAD been downloading 10-12 MB on the same line already with them.

So I asked them to confirm that my line would support 6MB which they said "yes it does". I asked them to raise my upload speeds, if the 6MB line speed was truly the case because I was only able to upload at 256k. (My logic being that if the line would support 6MB it should have no problems handling 4MB uploads :)

"Oddly enough" when my upload speed increased my download speeds shot up. Sadly I had to repeat the calls about 1x a month as my 'upload' speeds would strangely drop one to two times every month overnight.

If each call didn't take 1-2 hours to get through I might still be with them.

Best of luck.

Back