SImple to use satellite receivers - 7 day epg

Probably only popular in rural parts where landline & 3/4G not available. But TBH, I've set up a few, it's so easy a blind monkey could do it. Which is usually what the providers send out lol!!

How comes we do not have a satellite broadband room in the satellite sections?

Is it popular, I guess not or someone would of asked for it already ;)

Mick

sky go is geoblocked. flashed VPN router works around this. Just realised this is a reply to your PM. Doing this mobile this morning so mistakes creeping for in!

@digidude installs satellite broadband, told me it was easisest thing going.
Suppose that makes him a blind monkey as well as welsh lol

Apparently it is pretty simpler - I am not an installer myself, technical support, customer service / sales etc. It is not rocket science putting up the satellite internet. Just pricey for the consumer - if a reasonable to heavy data user.

sky go is geoblocked. flashed VPN router works around this. Just realised this is a reply to your PM. Doing this mobile this morning so mistakes creeping for in!

I meant the actual Sky Menu.

I pay for Sky and we have 800 movies we can download from there menu, a little bit like netflix, but they have all the boxsets for the best programs.

I wondered if your SKY Box would be GEOLOCKED... So you cannot use the onboard catch up system?

Regards
Mick

It is GEOLOCKED but can work around with connected VPN router.

Thanks, was not sure as you mentioned SKY GO, which I know is GEOLOCKED.

Regards
Mick

probably not relevant to this discussion but just the other day i went out to a friends house to set up his amiko alien box with sealion ,i taught he was using adsl broadband but it turned out he had sat broadband and it was terrible with satellite broadband due to the latency which is 700ms compred to Adsl which is roughly 30-70 ms where i live,so took his box back to mine and tried it out and it ran perfect,
Can you explain what latency means ?
Due to the distance travelled by the signal to/from your computer and the Internet Hub, via the satellite, all satellite technologies exhibited a short delay between the sending and receiving of any signal at either end. This delay is approximately ¾ second (700 milliseconds). For many applications, it is barely noticeable but where the programme that you are running is frequently sending or receiving multiple smaller data files (eg online gaming) the effect can be more pronounced.
We do not recommend satellite broadband for certain types of online gaming due to latency (ie. the time it takes the signal to get up and down from a satellite 22,000 miles high). If your current broadband is appalling and you are desperate to do online gaming in a remote location, our advice is to talk to our team about the options that we offer.

this was the answer i got from his supplier so he got rid of it and got in Adsl altough only getting around 2mb it still is way better and the box runs fine on it ,as i said its probably not relevant to above comments but may help anyone thinking of trying to run cs with sat broadband.

i install satellite broadband for a few different places, Tooway from 9E, BeyonDSL from 28.2E and Broadband Anywhere from 28.2E

In my experience as an installer, and from using the end services to check each job, and taking into account equipment 'issues', Broadband Anywhere is total shite, i hate installing it, the equipment is total cheap imported crap and breaks down for the slightest reason (including for no reason at all). BeyonDSL is a good system, but i find that sometimes it just doesnt seem as fast as stated, even though the speedtests will show a 20M connection. Tooway i have no problems with at all. The only differences between installing them is the type of dish, and the cables run, Tooway only needs one cable, the others need a twin cable (for Tx / Rx) as well as how its alaigned, Tooway and BeyonDSL have an awesome method where the dish has audible tones, Broadband Anywhere has a sh!tty earpiece you have to use, that even when youre on the correct satellite only works if youre really lucky, and you then have to reach over to the iLNB to remove the device, fun when its nearly 4 feet away from the wall its attached to.....

You can see the differences in the dishes here Eurosky Galleries | Album index (please remove if not allowed)

For anything that needs 'real time' data thats VERY time sensitive, like CS information, or online gaming, none of the satellite broadband services are suitable, that ping has to go from your sat modem, get transmitted 22000 miles, bounce off the satellite and travel 22000 miles back to earth, where it then hits whatever youre pinging, and it then has to do it all over again. 88000 miles, plus however far it traveled across the internet framework, in just over half a second is still good going, but, if youre playing call of duty, its the differrence between seeing someone, and being shot before you even know about it, and on CS, its missing the key to decode the channel

i install satellite broadband for a few different places, Tooway from 9E, BeyonDSL from 28.2E and Broadband Anywhere from 28.2E

In my experience as an installer, and from using the end services to check each job, and taking into account equipment 'issues', Broadband Anywhere is total shite, i hate installing it, the equipment is total cheap imported crap and breaks down for the slightest reason (including for no reason at all). BeyonDSL is a good system, but i find that sometimes it just doesnt seem as fast as stated, even though the speedtests will show a 20M connection. Tooway i have no problems with at all. The only differences between installing them is the type of dish, and the cables run, Tooway only needs one cable, the others need a twin cable (for Tx / Rx) as well as how its alaigned, Tooway and BeyonDSL have an awesome method where the dish has audible tones, Broadband Anywhere has a sh!tty earpiece you have to use, that even when youre on the correct satellite only works if youre really lucky, and you then have to reach over to the iLNB to remove the device, fun when its nearly 4 feet away from the wall its attached to.....

You can see the differences in the dishes here Eurosky Galleries | Album index (please remove if not allowed)

For anything that needs 'real time' data thats VERY time sensitive, like CS information, or online gaming, none of the satellite broadband services are suitable, that ping has to go from your sat modem, get transmitted 22000 miles, bounce off the satellite and travel 22000 miles back to earth, where it then hits whatever youre pinging, and it then has to do it all over again. 88000 miles, plus however far it traveled across the internet framework, in just over half a second is still good going, but, if youre playing call of duty, its the differrence between seeing someone, and being shot before you even know about it, and on CS, its missing the key to decode the channel

Whilst on this subject (though drifted off the 7 day epg). Can confirm that the CS systems do seem to work ok with the the 3G / 4G routers (using ZTE MF283), though sometimes the latency values can vary. This morning just tested at 58ms, which is not too bad. Obviously will depend in specific location as to whether there is a package from local service provider for unlimited, to allow video streaming.

ORIGINAL POST 7 DAY EPG - Found an Openbox V8S allows for CS and 7 day epg, on the surface of it looks easy to set up, not your usual Enigma 2. Doubt quality will be great, as a cheap box, will know soon enough as on it's way for testing.

Last edited:
Whilst on this subject (though drifted off the 7 day epg). Can confirm that the CS systems do seem to work ok with the the 3G / 4G routers (using ZTE MF283), though sometimes the latency values can vary. This morning just tested at 58ms, which is not too bad. Obviously will depend in specific location as to whether there is a package from local service provider for unlimited, to allow video streaming.

ORIGINAL POST 7 DAY EPG - Found an Openbox V8S allows for CS and 7 day epg, on the surface of it looks easy to set up, not your usual Enigma 2. Doubt quality will be great, as a cheap box, will know soon enough as on it's way for testing.

3G & 4G ping times can vary enormously (it has been discussed at length on other threads) depending on how much data is passing through. Less data = longer ping times, which C/S doesn't like. There are work-arounds.

Back