SImple to use satellite receivers - 7 day epg

grahamg123

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section - struggling to find the right place to put this.

I work in a satellite installation / maintenance company based in Spain. We can receive UK TV via satellite, however all locally supplied satellite receivers are either free to air models (now & next epg) and Freesat recording models expensive to get over to this country - not sold officially outside of the UK.

One question that always comes up is the '7 day recording guide' - obviously an Enigma 2 linux box will do the trick, however the problem we have is we manage communities of people who are a little older (retired) and this type of hardware is too complicated for them. Needs to be stable and simple.

To summarise is there any simple to use satellite receivers, with a 7 day guide - other than Linux, Sky / Freesat. Am aware of the Technomate 5402 can do the job (sort of) is there anything else - needs to be for those very non technically minded! IE those 60+ in age.

More like I do! We are more a telecommunications installer - we put the TV in the Polaris golf resorts 1500 properties - so plenty technical, just not quite in the same field. We are a little isolated information wise when it comes to specifically satellite receivers.

Local distributors of satellite receivers are very different from UK / USA, so we don't get the choice or the support you get elsewhere. Hence asking for help on the forum.

Thanks for the mentions of the equipment above is the F3/5 a reasonable receiver? I've used the 5402 and pretty solid piece of kit. Which are the blade version? We have a very price sensitive market for our clients - in short, cheaper is better

F3/5 is cut down version of TM5402 MK3
Its the best cheaper option of the TM range, give the blade a miss.
Plays iptv files and all types of media as well.

Thanks, will give the F3/5 a test.

What part of Spain? IT's a big place! Can you receive Astra 2E UK beam?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section - struggling to find the right place to put this.

I work in a satellite installation / maintenance company based in Spain. We can receive UK TV via satellite, however all locally supplied satellite receivers are either free to air models (now & next epg) and Freesat recording models expensive to get over to this country - not sold officially outside of the UK.

One question that always comes up is the '7 day recording guide' - obviously an Enigma 2 linux box will do the trick, however the problem we have is we manage communities of people who are a little older (retired) and this type of hardware is too complicated for them. Needs to be stable and simple.

To summarise is there any simple to use satellite receivers, with a 7 day guide - other than Linux, Sky / Freesat. Am aware of the Technomate 5402 can do the job (sort of) is there anything else - needs to be for those very non technically minded! IE those 60+ in age.

We can receive 2E & 2F in quite a few locations.

In our location Costa blanca south, near Alicante - Minimum 1.4 for the UK spot beams (though slightly bigger is better), further north following coast gets a little stronger, perhaps down to 1 - 1.1 metre. Opposite direction 300km or so south + La Manga 1.9, Almeria / Marbella signal not available in most practical dish applications - IPTV.

Ahh just spotted where you are - IPTV in Portugal....

I hate it when you feckers start talking about living in spain and portugal etc.

I start looking at DO-UP properties on rightmove lol.

One day I am out of here! (been saying that for years now)...

Mick

IPTV in Portugal? Only on a good day, going downhill with the wind behind it! Speed here is poor at the best of times and well-known streamimg IP's are often throttled or even blocked completely so the greedy shareholders (aka gov't ministers) don't have to invest in new infrastructure. Otherwise you're correct, not a sniff of the spot beams here.
If your customers are tight/skint, then they might be happy with used equipment. In which case you can't beat a J-tagged Pace 3100 sky+. Works FTA with any Sly card (even yellow house), cheap to buy and very reliable.

We can receive 2E & 2F in quite a few locations.

In our location Costa blanca south, near Alicante - Minimum 1.4 for the UK spot beams (though slightly bigger is better), further north following coast gets a little stronger, perhaps down to 1 - 1.1 metre. Opposite direction 300km or so south + La Manga 1.9, Almeria / Marbella signal not available in most practical dish applications - IPTV.

Ahh just spotted where you are - IPTV in Portugal....

Do you guys have satellite broadband though out there,.. I think they work alongside your existing broadband.

What are your speeds like for broadband?

Mick

Broadband? :roflmao: Quoted speeds of 'up to' 24M normally come in at anything between 2 & 8, but can be 0.5 at busy times. Or just nothing at all if the pub sounds more attractive to the local fix-it guy. Sat BB is widely used, but data is usually metered (unless on an expensive 90€/month tariff) so not much cope for streaming. Still, at least we have the sun :proud:

Do you guys have satellite broadband though out there,.. I think they work alongside your existing broadband.

What are your speeds like for broadband?

Mick

How comes we do not have a satellite broadband room in the satellite sections?

Is it popular, I guess not or someone would of asked for it already ;)

Mick

You can run iptv and get 20 meg with some suppliers with satellite internet. Problem is there was only unlimited packages for a short while and now highish data, but not unlimited 75 euros per month, for a capped service. Not suitable for lots of streaming,

We've use a 4g router with unlimited data sim / contract which we sell in parts of Spain, we get around 25 Mbps with 7+ up . Seems to be the best we've tested - if you get 3g or 4g in Spain and are in remote location. However speeds can vary, weve seen 40+ Mbps, however if you are in a location remote enough not to hape 3g or 4g, then of no use.

Our office speed landline Telefonica., 1 Mbps. Really. 4g in some parts of Spain is moving along, fibre optic and or coastal / rural infrastructure is generally poor. Many expats microwave rebroadcasting services which have speeds 2-6 on average. Peak times usually at the lower end.

Last edited:
We've use a 4g router with unlimited data sim / contract which we sell in parts of Spain, we get around 25 Mbps with 7+ up . Seems to be the best we've tested - if you get 3g or 4g in Spain and are in remote location.

Thanks Graham,

So what would the cost be for a 4G unlimited data sim cost in spain?

Interested for future reference :)

Mick

looking around €300 for good spec 4g router, with sim & activation. Presemtly €60 per month for the contract.

Could you not use a draytek with a 4G dongle?

The 2380n has a usb wan port.

Regards
Mick

You could probably pair sim with myriad of products, but the deal is not sim only, they want to include the router, sim all in. At the moment you cannot easily get unlimited 4g sim on its own.

Graham,

I noticed you mentioned Almeria not able to get any sky signal.

I have been looking in this area for quite some time regarding a potential holiday home / one day retirement lol.

Would you say this will not be able to receive a sky signal, I noticed you mentioned IPTV, is that really a reliable alternative?

Thanks Graham very interested in this subject.

Regards
Mick

Graham,

I noticed you mentioned Almeria not able to get any sky signal.

I have been looking in this area for quite some time regarding a potential holiday home / one day retirement lol.

Would you say this will not be able to receive a sky signal, I noticed you mentioned IPTV, is that really a reliable alternative?

Thanks Graham very interested in this subject.

Regards
Mick

You can presently get much of Sky as on the pan European beams, it is the main UK terrestrial channels which are currently not receivable in this location. Or most of the area as far as I'm aware.

IPTV never as stable as satellite, given local Internet. This will be key.

Alternative Intelsat 907 at 7 degrees West, with receiver compatible allowing encryption keys. That will give you BBC and itv etc in HD on a 1 metre dish. However long term?

You can presently get much of Sky as on the pan European beams, it is the main UK terrestrial channels which are currently not receivable in this location.

IPTV never as stable as satellite, given local Internet. This will be key.

Alternative Intelsat 907 at 7 degrees West, with receiver compatible allowing encryption keys. That will give you BBC and I'm in HD on a 1 metre dish. However long term?

Cheers Graham,

Can you use the sky catch up abroad in spain?

Do they GEOLOCK?

What is the best paid alternative to receive BBC and ITV, my mrs is a very keen viewer lol.

PS sorry to steal your post, hope the F3 works out for you!

Where is @digidude and @pinkhelmets when you need them lol

Thanks very much
Mick

Last edited:
Back