should i buy a s9 or s10??????

should i buy a openbox?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdt

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys, right im after "another box" to have a play with and have been looking at the openbox for a while now and have a few questions to owners of these boxs.

1. ive read about tuners failing, is it a major problem or few and far between?
2. have they added a softcam emulator yet?
3. does the box still re-boot all the time?
4. whats the blind scanning like in mpeg2/mpeg4?
5. i like the look of the s9 but is the s10 better?

basically should i get one of these boxs or not bother and look for another hd box to replace my dm500? as always thanks guys as i value your input a great deal. regards mdt

hi mdt
have a look at the orton x403p hd just got one of these for about £70 from a china supplier
same size as s10 which is just a bit bigger than 500s but has scart output has ci and ca slots has no on/off switch on back
plenty of firmware with diff gui has blindscan feature diff firmware offers diff menu setup and diff media format options reads my white freesat card ok does the norm cccam mgcamnd newcammnd also has a nasscam feature which i will no doubt try after googling as thid offers a protek style feature on a free trial period for the money not a bad little box no reboot problems i have come across picture quality is good runs my lines better than my spiderbox does
you can add keys and update via usb
worth looking at as well plenty off info on another forum where req updates are posted
just my 2 pence worth

it depends what you want it for, as a cheap little hd box that receives channels its great, but it is basic, if you like tweaking & messing then its not for you.

hi guys, right im after "another box" to have a play with and have been looking at the openbox for a while now and have a few questions to owners of these boxs.

1. ive read about tuners failing, is it a major problem or few and far between?
2. have they added a softcam emulator yet?
3. does the box still re-boot all the time?
4. whats the blind scanning like in mpeg2/mpeg4?
5. i like the look of the s9 but is the s10 better?

basically should i get one of these boxs or not bother and look for another hd box to replace my dm500? as always thanks guys as i value your input a great deal. regards mdt

1 tuners are very reliable only heard of maybe one tuner fault not proven
2 I believe the softcam emulator is now functional ?
3 it only reboots on sky sport hd channels easy fix delete the offending channels ( the latest firmware is supposed to cure it)
4 blind scan is very good I dont know how fast it is as i dont have anything to compare it to
5 the s10 is smaller and does not have any scart sockets

I have had a s9 since september 2010 and not had any problems with the box after deleting the said channels in my channel list I would recommend if you just want watch tv and with latest firmware play some media files it cant stream and there is no true ftp to it but updatingby usb is easy

edogg

im thinkinging of getting an s9 or s10.

can u add bouquets to it in the normal way?? is it based on enigma 1 or 2?? and i do like my sly sport hd channels, what do i have i to do to stop it rebooting??? thanx

the latest soft ware is suppose to have cured this the sky sport channels that caused the rebooting are duplicate channels so you just select the one that dont cause rebooting after deleting the wrong one
it isnt a true linux box it is closed firmware the channel lists are called TP_PROG. and are added from a usb drive

edogg

iv just bought 1 of these boxes off ebay, still not received it yet, the s10 i bought, how do you update to the latest channel lists, and can someone point me in the right direction for these files please!

hi big hol you do all updating by usb or with the latest frimware there is a kind of ftp prog on here the files are in the stickies firmware and other files program lists are called TP_PROG.dbs all though some on here are called TP_PROG.zip and will unzip first to get the dbs file

edogg

hi big hol you do all updating by usb or with the latest frimware there is a kind of ftp prog on here the files are in the stickies firmware and other files program lists are called TP_PROG.dbs all though some on here are called TP_PROG.zip and will unzip first to get the dbs file

edogg
thanks mate ill have a look about in the stickies see what i can see, whats the deal with the uploading firmwares by usb, do ya just put the file on root of usb and away ya go, or is there file structures that need to be in place, any tuts about!

the files just go on root ie no folders then goto menu >> tools>> upgrade by USB >>Upgrade mode for firmware upgrade it will show image files ???????_??_??.abs by pressing right on the remote it say misc files >> select & upgrade will give a drop down press ok for tp_prog.dbs and also CCcam.cfg if you have a cline to enter >>[yellow] then exit and go to picture of a globe >> CCcam Client Setup Config Files>>CCcam.cfg ok on the CCcam.file then exit all the way back out of the menu and reboot the box if you haven't got a cline just reboot after upgrading the TP-Prog.dbs and enjoy hd tv

edogg

the files just go on root ie no folders then goto menu >> tools>> upgrade by USB >>Upgrade mode for firmware upgrade it will show image files ???????_??_??.abs by pressing right on the remote it say misc files >> select & upgrade will give a drop down press ok for tp_prog.dbs and also CCcam.cfg if you have a cline to enter >>[yellow] then exit and go to picture of a globe >> CCcam Client Setup Config Files>>CCcam.cfg ok on the CCcam.file then exit all the way back out of the menu and reboot the box if you haven't got a cline just reboot after upgrading the TP-Prog.dbs and enjoy hd tv

edogg
thanks dawgggggggg, should be able to get it up and running once i have some firmware to put on, did yours come installed with the latest firmware on and channel lists, tried to download off here before but nothings working, tried a few different things, mick must be messing around in the background again as no files are able to download!

yes the s10 should have the latest firmware there's a couple on here for the s10 I have a specialized channel list with red button channels and no kids or asian channels just
ENT:LIFE:MOVIES:SPORT:HD:DOCS:REDBUTTON:MUSIC
if you like i can send it to you pm a email address
its for the west midlands so any other area would need bbc and itv changing for local area
edogg

yes the s10 should have the latest firmware there's a couple on here for the s10 I have a specialized channel list with red button channels and no kids or asian channels just
ENT:LIFE:MOVIES:SPORT:HD:DOCS:REDBUTTON:MUSIC
if you like i can send it to you pm a email address
its for the west midlands so any other area would need bbc and itv changing for local area
edogg
thanks for the offer mate but id also need the kids section, but you could tell me how to make a custom channel list as theres loadsa crap i wouldnt want in mine either, ill be using a cline from my own server so will have all channels, but be fantastic if i could make my own bouquet!

basically get one from on here upload it to the box menu>>TV channel list if you have a channel list already it will be sorted into favourites I think the s10 has 32 to delete press [BLUE] [BLUE] ok on each channel to delete it then exit ok to save exit when you have finished dump by usb and select tp_prog to save it back to a usb drive
If you just want to start from scratch after a scan menu favourite ok on the first favourite and use the remote to rename it then [Blue] to save and so on till all the channels are renamed
then menu tv channel list and on K_Eurobird 1&Ast move up or down through the channels press the [FAV] button on the remote a dropdown appears with all the favourites you have named select the favourite IE sport press ok then [exit] select next channel and son for the next 300 odd channels of course any channel you dont want will not be in your favourite lists

there is also a channel editor on here the second one is supposed to be best but i would just get swanny's TP_prog and start from that then you only need to delete the channels you dont want and maybe move some about

edogg

Last edited:
basically get one from on here upload it to the box menu>>TV channel list if you have a channel list already it will be sorted into favourites I think the s10 has 32 to delete press [BLUE] [BLUE] ok on each channel to delete it then exit ok to save exit when you have finished dump by usb and select tp_prog to save it back to a usb drive
If you just want to start from scratch after a scan menu favourite ok on the first favourite and use the remote to rename it then [Blue] to save and so on till all the channels are renamed
then menu tv channel list and on K_Eurobird 1&Ast move up or down through the channels press the [FAV] button on the remote a dropdown appears with all the favourites you have named select the favourite IE sport press ok then [exit] select next channel and son for the next 300 odd channels of course any channel you dont want will not be in your favourite lists

there is also a channel editor on here the second one is supposed to be best but i would just get swanny's TP_prog and start from that then you only need to delete the channels you dont want and maybe move some about

edogg
cheers matey thats a good starting point for me, and has explained alot for me, and any others i guess, no doubt will get stuck somewhere along the line, lol, but thats the fun about it, ill get back to the thread on monday as thats when ill receive it hopefully, will let you know if it all goes well, thanks for the help your a star!

you wont have any problems m8 just a get 5 yr old to set it up its really that easy just a pain sorting the channels out

edogg

well i decided to get the s9 and got one for £56 inc delivery from a well known chinese site... hopefully it wont be a clone! regards mdt

well i decided to get the s9 and got one for £56 inc delivery from a well known chinese site... hopefully it wont be a clone! regards mdt
any ideas how to tell if there fake or not, as i bought my s10 off ebay for £65 and they claim there genuine and will take any firmware update, hope thats the case as some people will tell you anything!

any ideas how to tell if there fake or not, as i bought my s10 off ebay for £65 and they claim there genuine and will take any firmware update, hope thats the case as some people will tell you anything!

firstly back up your current f/w by pressing menu/tool/dump by usb and save onto your usb stick, now theres a tut floating around the net but when your box arrives it should have later than 7.4.2011 f/w installed and if so then you need to press.... menu/tool/information/ok/777777(for s9) or 888888(for s10) and this will tell you your chip id.

id,s of original boxs both s9 and s10

00d0
00ea
085b
0d0c
98a1
98f2
9cf4
9d1a

if your box has 1 of these id,s then your box IS NOT A CLONE!!, if your id doesnt match then re-load the firmware you saved onto your stick before re-booting your box 10 times or you will brick your box, regards mdt

thanks to the original author!

well my code id was 1015 so its genuine, however im having trouble putting a tp-prog on, im going to tools/upgrade by usb/upgrade mode.. misc files, selecting TP-PROG.DBS, pressing ok to check it, then yellow button to upgrade, it says upgrade finished 100, so i go back to tv, then reboot, but when i press ok to open favourites, its just still the same, all the channels scattered about and duplicates, hmmm, any help guys!

Back