settle a arguement for me

Manse

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does a power supply still use electric when there is nothing attached ie a phone charger.
Wife tells me off for leaving them switched on at the wall when i take my stuff off because she says it still uses power.
sorry argument, without the e lol

Last edited:
It will probably use a little. Not very much but it will be dissipated as heat and sound.

Try leaving it an and seeing if it's warm.

I was at a mates yesterday, he has one of those measuring devices that shows you how much you're pulling from the mains. I wanted to know the same for my laptop, and yes, consumption dropped by about 45 watts when I unplugged the adaptor from the laptop. I bet it still pulls a couple of watts though. Must be the same for a phone I would have thought.

All transformers use power regardless of if there a draw by a device or not. But in the grand scheme of things unless you have 10's of them plugged in its not going to make much difference.

i bought the sony ericson elm and when you unplug the phone you get a pop up saying now remove charger from wall to save electricity, now a phone company wouldnt lie would they ;-)

Back