setting up a duel wan using a Linksys WRT54GL

ahh boolix! that's where i been going round the bend then and ending up with mini on the router as after you've done all above it tells you to then re-download the mini one...! gawd! some tuts are well out of date!

well least it's here for everyone else that want's a go they'll see that once it's flashed from mini to standard DON'T flash it back to mini like the tut....

ahh boolix! that's where i been going round the bend then and ending up with mini on the router as after you've done all above it tells you to then re-download the mini one...! gawd! some tuts are well out of date!

well least it's here for everyone else that want's a go they'll see that once it's flashed from mini to standard DON'T flash it back to mini like the tut....

Ha Ha Ha at least you know how to flash it now mate, see my last post lol.

cheers

yah i know.....ok all flashed and installed scripts, the 1st one you do the "startup" actually resets it - any way installed the firewall one now and re-booted and all the settings/lights look ok, but no internet.....dam thing.....

Last edited:
nvram.....yet i can still send and receive e-mails .... wtf?!?!?

Can you telnet into your router and type "ifconfig" at the command line.

vlan1 and vlan2 should have their own wan ip's make sure both wan ip's have different gateways.

cheers

DD-WRT v23 SP2 std (c) 2006 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 09/15/06 (SVN revision: 3932)

DD-WRT login: root
Password:
==========================================================

____ ___ __ ______ _____ ____ _____
| _ \| _ \ \ \ / / _ \_ _| __ _|___ \|___ /
|| | || ||____\ \ /\ / /| |_) || | \ \ / / __) | |_ \
||_| ||_||_____\ V V / | _ < | | \ V / / __/ ___) |
|___/|___/ \_/\_/ |_| \_\|_| \_/ |_____|____/

DD-WRT v23 SP2
http://www.dd-wrt.com

==========================================================

DD-WRT VeryBusyBox v1.2.1 (2006.09.15-18:06+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # ipconfig
-sh: ipconfig: not found
~ # ifconfig
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:BF:FE
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3424 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2478 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:574816 (561.3 KiB) TX bytes:2003891 (1.9 MiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:BF:BE
RX packets:24275 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5705 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3794743 (3.6 MiB) TX bytes:2415531 (2.3 MiB)
Interrupt:4

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:C0:11
RX packets:264 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:8351
TX packets:759 errors:5 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:24512 (23.9 KiB) TX bytes:286391 (279.6 KiB)
Interrupt:2 Base address:0x5000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

vlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:BF:FE
RX packets:3157 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2702 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:566610 (553.3 KiB) TX bytes:1809616 (1.7 MiB)

vlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:BF:FF
inet addr:82.39.20.182 Bcast:82.39.23.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
RX packets:11265 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2806 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:2272672 (2.1 MiB) TX bytes:567477 (554.1 KiB)

vlan2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:69:C0:BF:FE
inet addr:82.39.20.181 Bcast:82.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
RX packets:9877 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:209 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:522804 (510.5 KiB) TX bytes:14361 (14.0 KiB)

~ #

Last edited:
thanks bud (just so everyone know's the ip addys and mac addys posted above are spoof, i sent pm with correct ones.....

Dibbers just try the cable in the normal port and reboot cause it's got load balancing and if that dont work the scrips might be corrupt mate.

any way, thanks buddy......ok with the net just plugged in and the pc in port 1 still nothing...i'm thinking i might try the other was as last night when i was trying i was on the mini firmware....what you think man

they do look a bit goofed like..... seem to go out side the box.....

router.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't work with the mini version mate only standard, what you will need to do is start again, reset the router to clear the nvram and try the jffs one and see how you get on, check the trouble shooting at the bottom of the roadrunner page as well mate.

cheers

sorry didn't mean the mini firmware i meant jffs.....get as far as logging in with winscp but then get Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?...i noticed that the folders were still there from my last futile attempt.....wonder if they were casuing problems with the nvram installation.....bloody eck....minds going numb now...

Mowax

just get the missus to get a pen and stick it up yer arse to hit the reset button

then get her to try and flash you again

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

lololo......maybe a good idea......

well it will let me get so far but then you have to create a folder and plop a few scripts in it, and i can see them but it won't allow me to chmod them - and now i can't delete the folder either as i was thinking that the jffs folder might be causing it some problems when i was trying to use nvram.... how ever i'm eye gooshed of resetting and trying and res.....yeah you get me

tells me to use WINSCP - and to connect to the router.... i am putting the ip address in of the router and user name and password but then i get something about keys and that being generated....i'm sure i'm doing something wrong, well i know i am as i get connection refused etc etc.....

I will try again and get a few screen shots for you to see, says using secure sshl or some thing along the lines.....any way need to get access to it as i need to delete a folder or chmod it to 777 but it won't allow me as i could only connect via ftp which of course was no good as i take it it's got to be secure..

There are some settings on the router like but i'm not sure what to set them at......screen shots i guess will help......

Suppose if the worst comes it i could get hold of the orginal firmware and flash back and start again

Dibbers why not just put it back using factory defaults, then just connect up as you would normally with one modem and see if you get internet first, then you can try the rest again, if that don't work then we have to call out the fire brigade mate. lol

:Cheers:

ah yeah this is the thing that's doing my head in.....

if i do a factory reset and plug a modem in then i get internet fine....

Once i run the commands in telent and then put the scripts in this is when i don't get any connection to the net even though all the settings in the router like status/dns and that all look good.

So i was thinking if the cffs folder that i made was messing up the nvram operation.....any way can't get winscp to connect to router with out bloody security warnings and that as i was going to delete the folder that i made.....

Last edited:
Thanks Hibby man for all your time.....

Call me stoopid but i think the installation instructions are a little way off, like i may be wrong ok it says...

VLAN Configuration: [Setup Tab] login/pass = root/admin a. log into router [192.168.1.1] via web gui and click "setup" then click "vlan" b. configure settings then, click "save"

linksys.jpg

so done that as instructed......

Then in telnet

nvram set vlan0ports="3 2 1 5*"
nvram set vlan2ports="0 5"
nvram set vlan2hwname=et0
nvram commit
reboot

telnet into ur router & enter "ifconfig" at the command line.
• vlan1 & vlan2 should have their own wan ips
• verify both wan ips are using different gateways. *VERY IMPORTANT*

Now if it says vlan1 & 2 should have their own wan ips then why does it tell you to set nvram set vlan2ports="0 5" when infact the 2nd modem is plugged into port 4 and the 1st one in the net feed which i take it is port 0 or is that the wireless port.?

i tried it with this any way

nvram set vlan2ports="0 4"
nvram commit
reboot

but wondering if i shud have tried

nvram set vlan0ports="3 2 1 4*"
nvram set vlan2ports="0 4"
nvram commit
reboot

Last edited:
what would you say i set the ports like under "assign to bridge" ? like the picture or different ?

Dibbers do it like this below

VLAN Configuration: [Setup Tab] login/pass = root/admin a. log into router [192.168.1.1] via web gui and click "setup" then click "vlan" b. configure settings then, click "save"

linksys.jpg

This bit is done in the router not in telnet
c. next click the "admin" tab, followed by clicking the "commands" tab.
d. Paste the script below and click "run commands"

nvram set vlan2ports="0 5"
nvram commit
reboot

Tomorrow I'm going to reset mine and start again with the mini.bin and nvram, will let you now mate'

cheers

k man tried above and still nixi.....thanks man, really don't pull your rig apart and that and end up like me....had a thought - had "smac" installed removed it and followed the whole process again, and thanks for telling me about running the commands in the GUI of the router, I'm sure one of the tuts tells you in telenet....never mind still no worky...lol ! still have faith!

i run the ifconfig and can see that only one modem is getting a connection and of course still no net etc....can it really be this hard?

after all the PHP script web sites and my_sql data bases I've messed on with and that (< bigging my self up a little..lol) i can't believe this will beat me! (where's me hat)

Back