setting up a duel wan using a Linksys WRT54GL

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok my brand new baby arrived today.....now for the fun to start....... waiting for Hibby Dave! ..lololol

Look at the dd-wrt and/or open-wrt sites to aquire and find out how to flash the firmwares.

thanks matey, will post back here so others can follow but looks ok and straight forward for now....

ok set up the 1st bit and yip, can't log in, it says root/admin (firmware went on ok) just can't log in to get to the next stage.....

got this message

401 Unauthorized
Authorization required. please note that the default username is "root" in all newer releases

trying root and then admin

Good luck mate. I'm here rootin and tootin for ya!!

Just out of curiosity, you gonna have more than one cable modem on the same line hooked up to just the one router? Im guessing they will have to connected to a seperate switch first before you connect that switch to the "modem" ethernet port on the back of the linksys. That way, the linksys will be part of a WAN and a LAN within your own home....

Right or waaaaay off?

got modem next door that does xbox and all that then connected here via switch to these 2 computers then another router (with it's own feed) to the computers here....that will eventually have this duel wan working....for now i'm stuck....can't log in even though the flash went ok.....mmmmm worried....olol

edit : i have no idea what happened there as it tells you to log in after the flash....a simple reboot and i'm in

stage 1 clear!

Last edited:
OK got it set up but not sure what's happening....

OK i last night when i was connected i had an ip address giving out by dhcp from the router and the ip address was 192.168.1.100 - router config page 192.168.1.1 - now when i connect i get an external ip address like i'm connected direct to the net and i can't get to config page unless i give status ip address to nic -

i have 2 computers plugged into the router and 2 modems one in internet feeed and one in port 4 and each computer is getting an external ip address.......don't think this is correct.

I'm sure i should be getting dchp address from router, if i reset everything then i am giving the correct router ip address for a little while until it then changes to an external.....

EDIT

ok sweet had compuer 1 plugged in port 2 so moved to port 1 and now have correct ip addresses

so computer 1 plugged in port 1 has 192.168.3.126 and computer 2 plugged in port 3 has 192.168.3.133

i had to do it like this as the router in the sitting room is 192.168.2.1 and that does my home network.....

all working now.....internet etc etc..... guess it's torrent time....lololol

PS - i went for the

NVRAM: this is a very quick and relatively easy method to enable dual wan but does not perferm as well as the JFFS method. you must first verify there is enough room in ur routers "nvram" to work correctly. telnet into ur router and enter "nvram show" then look at the last line. it needs to say atleast 6300 left.

as when i followed the instructions for JFFS:

JFFS: *dual wan kit required* this method does not use the routers nvram to store the scripts and instead stores the scripts in a jffs folder within the router itself. dual wan performance is much more stable and responsive using this method but its more difficult to setup and requires atleast 190kb of free jffs space to execute the dual wan scripts. many routers simply do not have enough memory to enable jffs.

it said i needed *dual wan kit required*

i got to this bit

◦Start WINSCP
a. run WinSCP from the dual wan kit and log into router

i downloaded the winscp but it wouldn't connect and i thought i'd bricked it, so i factory reset and went with nvram...and that's where i am now......

top of router and that i have this etc

Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) mini
Time: 12:36:01 up 28 min, load average: 0.18, 0.04, 0.01
WAN IP: 88.39.20.111 (<<<not real ofcourse)

Last edited:
ok back again, have noticed that in the script it talks about 192.168.1 etc etc, so have reset modem and that back to factory.....how ever after i run the commands in telnet and then reboot and then copy the scripts in the router, and reboot i get internet, but it's very slow and google doesn't even come up........pages some times dont even display.........

just tried the JFFS: part and that and copied files over to routr and made a folder and installed scripts and chmoded the files and reset and nothing...same old, same old....

Last edited:
Dibbers not sure why your connecting 2 computers just now mate, but this is what you should have done lol, I would advice to use 1 computer and the Linksys router only to get the dd-wrt on it at first.

Firstly you flash the Linksys with dd-wrt dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin, now once that's done you have to hard reset the router to clear the nvram.

secondly you flash it again with dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin, again hard reset.

the reason for this is the stock firmware on the Linksys wont accept a firmware image over 3MB in size, so you need to flash the mini versions of dd-wrt then the standard version.

only when this is done can you then run the scrips in the command shell.

:Cheers:

ok DC the other pc for now.....in the top right hand side of the router page i see it says this Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) mini

the reason for this is the stock firmware on the Linksys wont accept a firmware image over 3MB in size, so you need to flash the mini versions of dd-wrt then the standard version.

should it say standard in there ? instead of mini

i did flash like you have said and followed the tut to a T.......

do you think i've messed up?

No it should say DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std

If it says mini then you only flashed it the once, did you get the dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin
in the downloaded pack?

go to firmware upgrade page and flash with dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin let the router reboot then do not do anything on your computer for 1 minute while this upload is working
you should see an Upgrade Successful screen message, click continue, you will be prompted with a login box this is when you do a hard reset, get a pen and find the reset button on the back of the WRT54GL hold down the reset button for 30 seconds release the reset button, watch the lights blink for 15 seconds.

then in the web browser 192.168.1.1
username="root"
password="admin"

cheers

Last edited:
thanks Hibby, OK so when i go to load that firmware it says successfully and then goes back to it's normal page 192.168.1.1 and still says Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) mini

so this is where the problem is.....i'll start from scratch?

woot i'm there..... Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std ok i'll do the next stuff now...i rest factory, then hard reset, installed mini, then factory default and then hard reset and then flashed normal bin and it's rebooted to it!

i think what was confusing me was that when you go to nvram (clicking the link, road runner guide)it says

Flash Default Router Firmware:
a. download firmware: mini_generic.bin
b. log into router, and use the firmware upgrade interface to update the router
c. click here for detailed firmware installation instructions

so i take it this bit i just miss out and go onto the next stage....i do use the odd download from a newsgroup like......

Last edited:
i think what was confusing me was that when you go to nvram (clicking the link)it says

Flash Default Router Firmware:
a. download firmware: mini_generic.bin
b. log into router, and use the firmware upgrade interface to update the router
c. click here for detailed firmware installation instructions

so i take it this bit i just miss out and go onto the next stage....i do use the odd download from a newsgroup like......

Yes skip that bit, should have said that lol, if I've got time I might just rewrite all of this in a tut and miss out the roadrunner bit altogether mate, just go with the jffs scripts if you use newsgroups mate, they say it's better anyway.

:Cheers:

Last edited:
Back