Scrap Copper Cable Rates and Process

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have about 18-20 rubble bags of scrap copper cable, all different types of copper from 1.5mm, 2.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 16mm, 25mm tails.

Even some data cable, telephone cable, old red fire cable with the copper surround,

Whatever you think of I think there is some of this copper in the bags lol.

My question is what is the process with scrapping copper cable, and how much is it worth, roughly???

I have never taken any notice and always let the labourers do what they want with the scrap copper cables, but this much I was thinking I would see what it's worth maybe get a few new tools for the lads to use etc...

If anyone has any experience in this subject that would be really helpful, and also does anyone know How many kilos of scrap copper wire you can put in an average rubble bag?

Regards
Mick

Last edited:
make sure you strip all the plastics before trading

I was reading that striped copper (bright) is £3-4 a kilo and Insulated is around £1.20 - £1.60 a kilo?

I ain't stripping down 18+ bags of cable lol ;)

Mick

create a nice burner and burn the plastics off it mate

did this all the time but think its getting trickier now due to fact copper is getting nicked these days

We used to burn it off in a metal garden bin when we were kids.

Lol I would need to do that 18+ times lmao, one bin is about the size of the rubble bags...

Not mad on burning plastic either it lets of Dioxins which can kill you.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Also what happens when you go in the scrap yard, do they just put the bags on a big scales or something else lol....

Mick

Lol I would need to do that 18+ times lmao, one bin is about the size of the rubble bags...

Not mad on burning plastic either it lets of Dioxins which can kill you.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Also what happens when you go in the scrap yard, do they just put the bags on a big scales or something else lol....

Mick

On the scales then name, address, proof, inside leg... ;)

On the scales then name, address, proof, inside leg... ;)

So I take my drivers license with me and a utility bill or something?

we still have a few dodgy scrappers no questions asked

but becoming the norm to prove your copper legit

The rate will be reduced if you leave the plastic on, they will knock off at least 2/3 :( if not more, bright wire is in-between 3-4 thousand a ton depends were you go, last time i did the scrap run i had to fill in a form with all my details and give bank card details & driving licence, they (EMR) had a system set up were they would give you a cheque and then cash it for a small fee, or you could have it in the bank next day for free or fast cash in the bank the same day for a fee. always went for in the bank next day myself :)

FocuS

Thanks All, just trying to figure out how much I roughly have lol...

I am not striping it down would rather lose out and just get it off my van lol...

Regards
Mick

I think you need a permit for sorted scrap @Mick.

My mate is a builder and tol me he has to sort a permit out before turning up with bags of doorknobs, copper pipe etc. Lasts three years I think, someone else might be able to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably wise M8 - Police are all over the scrappers so you'll likely get asked!

Do they check every last piece of cable?

Regards
Mick

I think you need a permit for sorted scrap @Mick.

My mate is a builder and tol me he has to sort a permit out before turning up with bags of doorknobs, copper pipe etc. Lasts three years I think, someone else might be able to clarify.

bloody hell @Spectre lol, just chuck a spanner in the works lol.

Mick

Last edited:

Mick

I think you can get nicked for having sorted scrap without one, £120 rings a bell but might depend on council.

Sorry :(, maybe someone else can confirm?

Mick
@Spectre. It was my birthday yesterday but too tired to get p*ssed lol Tonight, however, bollocks - that's for builder scrap dumping at the local tip ffs!

Scrap metal guys (legit) just weigh it and want your details in case it's nicked. Others (dodgy) just weigh it and pay cash.

Job done :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back