Fibre and old phones.

I've got fibre and I am still using my old BT Phone, I just had to change the cable to one that would plug into the router rather than the BT Box.
I'm fairly certain the only phones that won't work are the rotary dial phones, they would be capable of receiving calls but be unable to dial out.

I've got fibre and I am still using my old BT Phone, I just had to change the cable to one that would plug into the router rather than the BT Box.
I'm fairly certain the only phones that won't work are the rotary dial phones, they would be capable of receiving calls but be unable to dial out.
yes, 'normal' DTMF phones will still work, either plugged directly into the phone socket on the back of the hub (as long as digital voice is active on the account), or, via a DV adaptor, which plugs into the mains, has a phone socket on it, and links wirelessly to the hub

old rotary phones wont work, as they dialed by breaking the closed loop to dial the numbers (this was how many years ago, you could use anyones phone lines from the junction outside their houses using just a small speaker and 2 bits of wire, crude, but worked)

yes, 'normal' DTMF phones will still work, either plugged directly into the phone socket on the back of the hub (as long as digital voice is active on the account), or, via a DV adaptor, which plugs into the mains, has a phone socket on it, and links wirelessly to the hub

old rotary phones wont work, as they dialed by breaking the closed loop to dial the numbers (this was how many years ago, you could use anyones phone lines from the junction outside their houses using just a small speaker and 2 bits of wire, crude, but worked)
Thanks for explaining that Digidude, I knew I could use my old phone and the old rotary dial phone couldn't be used but I didn't know the how or why until now.

What if any advantage is there of retaining the old DTMF phone over a new DV phone? We have several extensions in the house, not all are near a mains supply, so not a good alternative to use a DV adapter unless we had a base station and "walk about" phones. This is all excellent info, but who if anyone is explaining all this to everyone who has a "landline"?

What if any advantage is there of retaining the old DTMF phone over a new DV phone? We have several extensions in the house, not all are near a mains supply, so not a good alternative to use a DV adapter unless we had a base station and "walk about" phones. This is all excellent info, but who if anyone is explaining all this to everyone who has a "landline"?
Nobody is explaining this to anyone. A lot of the engineers doing the installing / servicing have very little knowledge on the systems to begin with. I was given a 2 week training course crammed into 3 days back last year, which taught me absolutely fook all. Questions i had, couldnt be answered (ill get back to you after finding out, ghosted), and was then put out with another engineer for 2 days, before being thrown in at the deep end alone.

Luckily for me, ive evolved with the general phone systems over the years as part of my hobbies, and with a service background, was able to pretty quickly figure out stuff, or bull$hit my way along untill i could figure it out

the main advantage of using your existing phones, is cost. You dont have to spend out on new handsets. If you have a 'set' of DECT phones, simply plug the base station into the hub, and ALL of your phones are back up and running

The DV adaptor needs ONLY a mains socket to work, it links via wifi back to the hub

If you can get the fiber point installed in the same location as your existing master socket, it would be possible to 'adapt' a phone cable, to connect your existing extensions into the hub. Not really advisable (simply because i dont know what sort of current the hub can push out to ring multiple phones), but could be done. I have plugged a single extension into the hub to use a phone in a different room with no problems

My first impresion about your reply is WOW!! But then thinking about it for a second or two, yep this is industry for you, push the scheme out, keep training and staffing costs to a minimum. Then "rubber dick" everyone, got to keep the shareholders happy! I know its wrong to assume, but I would wager the shareholders are not all UK investors.:mad: Someone told me that the scrap copper from the old cables is worth about £20M, who benefits from that I wonder. Doubt it will go to improve services in small villages and towns like yours!

This reminds me of a saying. "We the willing lead by the unknowing and uncaring, have been doing so much for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing for nothing"!

Again thank you for all your info. Looking at how many views there has been on this thread, I think the contributors have helped a lot of people.

My first impresion about your reply is WOW!! But then thinking about it for a second or two, yep this is industry for you, push the scheme out, keep training and staffing costs to a minimum. Then "rubber dick" everyone, got to keep the shareholders happy! I know its wrong to assume, but I would wager the shareholders are not all UK investors.:mad: Someone told me that the scrap copper from the old cables is worth about £20M, who benefits from that I wonder. Doubt it will go to improve services in small villages and towns like yours!

This reminds me of a saying. "We the willing lead by the unknowing and uncaring, have been doing so much for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing for nothing"!

Again thank you for all your info. Looking at how many views there has been on this thread, I think the contributors have helped a lot of people.

Im employed by 2 different companies, id NEVER work directly for the company that im doing this work on behalf of, theyre worse than sky to their employees, and thats something i never thought id say, their engineer turnover is quite high, and their insider reviews are pretty bad, with what seems like some excellent suspect ones thrown in

The company that employs me, that subs me out to this other company, is the best company ive ever worked for. If i need time off because the wifes ill, all i have to do is ask. If i need time off as my other job needs me to complete some training, its not a problem, theyre a brilliant company whos number 1 priority is their engineers

The other organization that employs me also puts their employees as their number 1 priority, and are very big on personal development. Theyre paying for me to do my LGV license, as well as paying me an hourly rate while im also learning, plus extra due to needing to take time off from my main employment to do this training

Back